Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself in the market for a small PA - something suitable for a bar gig, no need for arena-filling power. I'll need 8 channels (3 DI instruments, 3 mics, and some room to grow). I'm looking for something easy to transport, and not too pricey - I won't be using it all that much, so I don't want to spend too much.

Anyone have a favorite brand?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Peavy ips shit is light weight and sounds nice. Nab a pair of pr15s and an ips amp of some sort, find a good mixer and you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I bought one of these for my band's acoustic shows (2 DI guitars, 5 vocals, 2 drums):
MG166CX - MG Series (CX Models) - Analog Mixers - Mixers - Live Sound - Products - Yamaha United States

I like that it has a one-knob compressor for most of our vocals. I've got some DBX outboard gear to insert in, a compressor, an EQ, and a gate. I have my lead singer inserted into ch1 on both the outboard compressor and EQ, so he can tailor his sound the way he likes.

For power, a Crown XLS202 powers my monitors (two 12's ch1, one 15 ch2), and a Crown XLS1000 powers the mains (some big 3-way and a 15" 2-way, for each side).

Our volume is loud enough to be heard in the small bar's we play, but not so loud that you can't have a somewhat normal volume conversation with someone next to you.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
My bassist buddy down in RI has a PA, man - if you want and only need one for the occasional show, I'd be happy to see if he'd let you borrow/rent it and put you guys in touch?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought one of these for my band's acoustic shows (2 DI guitars, 5 vocals, 2 drums):
MG166CX - MG Series (CX Models) - Analog Mixers - Mixers - Live Sound - Products - Yamaha United States

I like that it has a one-knob compressor for most of our vocals. I've got some DBX outboard gear to insert in, a compressor, an EQ, and a gate. I have my lead singer inserted into ch1 on both the outboard compressor and EQ, so he can tailor his sound the way he likes.

For power, a Crown XLS202 powers my monitors (two 12's ch1, one 15 ch2), and a Crown XLS1000 powers the mains (some big 3-way and a 15" 2-way, for each side).

Our volume is loud enough to be heard in the small bar's we play, but not so loud that you can't have a somewhat normal volume conversation with someone next to you.
I was sorta hoping to avoid having a mixer + power amp + speakers - no love for the all-in-one options that Fender, Kustom, Behringer, etc make?

My bassist buddy down in RI has a PA, man - if you want and only need one for the occasional show, I'd be happy to see if he'd let you borrow/rent it and put you guys in touch?
Thanks man - I do know a few people I could borrow or rent from, but I figured I'd price out buying one first. I'll let you know if I do decide to go the rental route!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I never really liked the all-in-ones. They *are* infinitely easier to carry around and set-up, but I tend to enjoy setting up complex systems, so take that for what you will :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
All-in-one PAs tend to have the same issues that all-in-one home theater speakers have. Everything is built to a price, and performance from well-chosen separates will almost always be superior.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
(btw, I hear Yamaha mixing gear is the best value, hence why I got one.)

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I would check craigslist for a band breaking up or upgrading their kit, you might end up with bigger than you need but at a great price.

4,429 Posts
Soundcraft's epm is an excellent cheap board, sounds decent and is built pretty well. Mackie's products are pretty awesome in terms of powered speakers (easier to transport). I prefer a power amp and unpowered speakers (reliability reasons and can control from desk). Crown and QSC both have quality offerings in the lower end of price range. As far as speakers I'd say go to your local stores and see what there is to offer.

Going used will get you a lot of bang for your buck. Tons of better options in terms of speakers, and especially when it comes to getting yourself a board.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts