Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, my studio is small. 9'x6'
i don't have anywhere outside the room to setup an amp at good volume with mic. Having the amp in the studio, its just not practical so far. so whats the solution here? an enclosure around the amp? i have minimal room in here for rubbish.
the plug ins for Garage band sound better than the low volume amp with mic in the room at this point. :playball:

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

Heavy blanket over the amp and mic (build a little fort), and good headphones that block out some outside sound. Even the cheap ~$30 earplug style Sony headphones are decent enough. That's the cheapest and easiest. It's not perfect, but you learn to adapt.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah maybe some pillows too… geez such a simple idea, why don't i think of these things…. (no comments please) -)

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Record a DI, reamp with the amp cranked and you outside the room.
not sure i totally follow… and please excuse my ignorance, but huh? are you saying to record a dry signal, send it to the amp, then record that?

i dont ever mic my amp my head just has a direct out. maybe yours has something similar?
well its a combo amp. it has a record out, but really its not great. i had considered just getting a pod or whatever

·
Read Only
10 Posts
not sure i totally follow… and please excuse my ignorance, but huh? are you saying to record a dry signal, send it to the amp, then record that?
Yeah. I'm guessing that part of the issue is that you don't want to sit in front of a blasting cranked amp when recording it, yes?

When I reamped my Mark V, that's what I did. The playing in this video is just me making the DI, the amp is just there because, well, it's an amp video. I reamped the DI after the fact once I had the tone the way I wanted it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
well its a combo amp. it has a record out, but really its not great. i had considered just getting a pod or whatever
For lower volume direct recording without breaking the bank, the Pod HD is the way to go. :yesway:

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. I'm guessing that part of the issue is that you don't want to sit in front of a blasting cranked amp when recording it, yes?

When I reamped my Mark V, that's what I did. The playing in this video is just me making the DI, the amp is just there because, well, it's an amp video. I reamped the DI after the fact once I had the tone the way I wanted it.

Mesa Boogie Mark V - Metal - YouTube
cool song :yes way:
the amp cranked doesn't bother me, its just a nuisance to monitor what I'm recording while the amp is fairly loud.
For me, direct recording was always just easier whether it be plug ins or an external processor. a friend and i were discussing it earlier, and he seems to think mic and speaker is just night and day to any simulation when you have the right mic placement.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
cool song :yes way:
the amp cranked doesn't bother me, its just a nuisance to monitor what I'm recording while the amp is fairly loud.
For me, direct recording was always just easier whether it be plug ins or an external processor. a friend and i were discussing it earlier, and he seems to think mic and speaker is just night and day to any simulation when you have the right mic placement.
On lower end gear I'm inclined to agree with him, but as you get into the Fractal/KPA range, or even a Pod with the right (read: not Line 6's garbage) impulse, it's a lot closer than most "purists" think.

It's madness to record a "real" amp without a DI anyway, IMO. For a couple hundred bucks, it makes everything a LOT easier later on. I used this:

http://www.amazon.com/Radial-Pro-Passive-Direct-Box/dp/B000A8J3N2

And this Reamp box:

http://www.amazon.com/Radial-Reamp-JCR-Studio-Reamper/dp/B005H0XB72

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chris, if you wouldn't mind, quickly explain exactly the process and equipment needed to do this, even if i don't go this route, I'm curious how its done

·
Read Only
10 Posts
chris, if you wouldn't mind, quickly explain exactly the process and equipment needed to do this, even if i don't go this route, I'm curious how its done
Sure. You plug your guitar into the DI box, and the DI has two outs - one goes to your amp, one goes to your DAW. So if you're just jamming along you just plug into the thing and ignore it - think of it as a fancy Y-cable.

When it's time to record, you're riffing along hearing your amp in the room with you, but your DAW is getting the dry signal from the DI at the correct levels that you need to send it back out to your amp.

Then when it's time to reamp, you have the reamp box - your DAW goes out to that, it sends a proper-level signal into your amp (the way your guitar does), and your amp responds like it's getting a normal guitar signal. (Because it is).

The super-upside of it is that with the DI, you can reamp later, make changes on the amp settings, etc, etc. Sometimes you'll nail a beast of an amp tone only to find that it sounds like shit with the rest of your mix, so you can either EQ your guitar tracks to death or just re-reamp the DI with the amp dialed in to suit the mix better.

It's also awesome for punching in, because if you punch in the DI track and then just reamp the whole thing, it sounds completely transparent. If you're just micing up your amp, and two days later you find that you fucked up a section and want to re-record it, you'll need to put the mic in the exact same spot, have the amp set the exact same way, etc, etc. With a reamp chain, you just punch in on the dry track and reamp the whole thing smooth and it'll be seamless.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I do the same thing here, though with a Fractal instead of a tube amp. You won't care about the routing that I blab about in the video, but the process is pretty much the same. With a regular amp, it's just that instead of me sending the dry track back into my Axe-Fx, for that Mark V video I just sent it out to my amp with an SM57 in front of my cab the usual way.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sure. You plug your guitar into the DI box, and the DI has two outs - one goes to your amp, one goes to your DAW. So if you're just jamming along you just plug into the thing and ignore it - think of it as a fancy Y-cable.

When it's time to record, you're riffing along hearing your amp in the room with you, but your DAW is getting the dry signal from the DI at the correct levels that you need to send it back out to your amp.

Then when it's time to reamp, you have the reamp box - your DAW goes out to that, it sends a proper-level signal into your amp (the way your guitar does), and your amp responds like it's getting a normal guitar signal. (Because it is).

The super-upside of it is that with the DI, you can reamp later, make changes on the amp settings, etc, etc. Sometimes you'll nail a beast of an amp tone only to find that it sounds like shit with the rest of your mix, so you can either EQ your guitar tracks to death or just re-reamp the DI with the amp dialed in to suit the mix better.

It's also awesome for punching in, because if you punch in the DI track and then just reamp the whole thing, it sounds completely transparent. If you're just micing up your amp, and two days later you find that you fucked up a section and want to re-record it, you'll need to put the mic in the exact same spot, have the amp set the exact same way, etc, etc. With a reamp chain, you just punch in on the dry track and reamp the whole thing smooth and it'll be seamless.
huh no shit…. yeah that makes sense.
now, if i record tracks using plug in sounds, then just remove the plug in sounds after and run that dry signal thru the amp? same deal basically. i can avoid the di box, unless i need it for something else?

i like the idea of not having to commit to a tone.

so re amping sounds interesting

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Another note, since I'm post-whoring..

One more kickass thing about reamping is that it lets you hear what you're recording with different settings than you might want to mix with. I like a lot of gain, and when I'm just jammin' out and chugging along, I relax and play a lot looser/cleaner if I have "my" tone, which almost always has WAY too much gain to use in a mix.

If I record something with the gain way down, even though my playing is just as clean I don't really get into it as much, and that little extra bit that's missing usually ends up being all the balls and character in what I play.

I know that double-tracked walls of gain will sound like fucking crap layered on top of a mix, so the options are to either play with less gain and get a less inspired performance out of me, or have the gain where I like to hear it alone, and then when it comes time to mix everything, I just reamp the guitar tracks with the gain down to normal/complimentary levels, and I since I have unlimited takes at it with the DI, I can try different amp settings, gain levels, etc and figure out what sits the best with the bass and drums in the mix.

Two tracks of not-much-gain rhythm guitar usually equals a big awesome wall of badfuckingass tone (I go for Devildriver/Lamb of God on my rhythms), whereas two tracks of too-much-gain rhythm guitar will almost always sound fucking lousy, even though the lone guitar track sounds badass in the room.

I'm lousy at mixing, but I have the recording process down anyway. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
huh no shit…. yeah that makes sense.
now, if i record tracks using plug in sounds, then just remove the plug in sounds after and run that dry signal thru the amp? same deal basically. i can avoid the di box, unless i need it for something else?

i like the idea of not having to commit to a tone.

so re amping sounds interesting
The DI box is there so that you get a signal into your DAW that matches what the guitar actually puts out, so that when you send it back into the amp it's at the same level. If you have another way to get the dry signal, then yeah. Keep in mind though that that dry signal is VERY important when reamping. My interface is an older MOTU 828, and though it has plenty of inputs, I still ended up buying an Apogee one JUST for the DI input:

Amazon.com: Apogee ONE Audio Interface for Mac: Musical Instruments

And it was a night and day difference. The Apogee stuff is AWESOME. If the dry signal going to your amp isn't exactly what it should be, you end up having to fuck with levels and artificially boost it in the DAW, which is just another obnoxious level of complexity. So my signal chain was just:

Guitar > DI input
DI output one > Apogee > Reaper
DI output two > My amp

You can do 99% of this with solid results using just a Pod HD Pro and some impulses, but if you really love the sound of your amp and want to get it recorded in a non-disappointing way, everything that you add to the signal chain needs to be decent. Fortunately, none of it is that expensive. The DI box is only a hundred bucks, for example.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im not attached to the amp by any means.

i do know to turn down gain when recording. i beat the string pretty hard too, so it sounds heavy at low gain anyways ( Hetfield downPick slugging at it style )
leads i like to Whale the gain, cause I'm a Twinkletoe on the higher strings

Another note, since I'm post-whoring..
No man its all good info for myself and others who may not know this stuff.

i know, its sad, i should already know

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
If monitoring with a loud amp in the room is your problem, what ARE you monitoring through?

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If monitoring with a loud amp in the room is your problem, what ARE you monitoring through?
just my monitors. i suppose a nice pair of headphones is in order

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Or even a not exceptionally nice set, yeah - admittedly, I don't record THAT loud, and my Yamahas have enough juice that having my mix keep up with my amp isb't a problem, but headphones that reject a decent amount of outside sound are definitely your most cost-effective option here. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts