Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running a rack rig for a while now, about a full year since I got my E530, and I finally, after going through 3 or 4 power amps, have been keeping a Mesa 50/50 since about early April. A few months ago, we started to play a buncha shows, and I've been running it opposite a Triple Recto with bass going through it, and a 5150II for the other guitar. It doesn't sound bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm kinda wishing I had a litttttle more bass in my sound. My speakers are already pretty bassy when compared to the other mass-market offerings (G12K-85s), so I don't think a swap there is in order. I've already dispensed with the EMG 81s in bridge positions, I've been using Blackout Necks, 707s, 85s, and now a SD Livewire HMET (Not a bassy pickup, I know that. It's quite snarly.)

At any rate, it's 4 AM, and of course, in my sleep-deprived state, I've been thinking about swapping it out for a head, but I'm not entirely sold on the idea yet, it's been a long while since I owned one. I'm also considering a few different preamp ideas, among them the Mesa Studio Pre, the Perfect Connection GP-1000 (One's for sale here locally, very reasonable) and the Carvin Quad-X. Stuff like the Triaxis, Recto Recording Pre and SE Preamp are a shade (wayyyyy) too expensive for my tastes. The Studio Pre is still a bit pricey, used prices on them are still hovering around $750-800

Power amp switching is probably out of the question, anything that I think would be a significant improvement over the 50/50 is also beaucoup bucks, like the VHT 2/50/2 and the Mesa 2:Ninety and Recto 2:One Hundred, and I feel something like the Carvin T-100 or TS-100 would be a downgrade of sorts.

I don't really want a Recto, fwiw, as the other guitarist in my band uses his for guitar sometimes, and the 5150 other times, and I can use the triple if he's running the 5150, but I think I might want a slightly different sound. If I were to go with the head route, I'd probably be able to get 1100 or so for my rack minus the G-major, so I'd be limiting myself to about $1500. Things like the fireball 100, a used 5150III, or maybe even a used Triamp (Still kicking myself for passing up a beat-to-shit Triamp MK II with cab for $800 3 years ago.), but I'm really out of the loop, I think.

Any ideas? I'm not exactly sold on any avenue quite yet, as I still really like the sound of my setup, but I figure it can't hurt to at least familiarize myself with everything I don't quite love about the setup I've got now and how to fix that, especially because I'm at the point where I don't think I'll be buying any more guitars for quite some time (unless something's a super-steal).

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
The cheapest solution would probably be to poke a pencil into each and every speaker cone in your bandmate's rigs. It'll ruin their ability to produce clean bass and make you seem like the fucking James Earl Jones of guitar tones.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Stitch? :wub:

Zero, do you really need more bass in your guitar tone? Think of a live mix. Also, why would a head give you more bass than a component setup, or did I miss a beat here?

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Hey about the 50/50, yeah it's got great tone but it's not going to compete with a triple rec for bassyness. The 2:90 and the 2:100 definitely do.

Here's a solution to go with a 2:90. Save up $400. Sell the 50/50 for $400 on ebay. Buy a 2:90 used on ebay for $800. You're only out $400 and you have a killer power amp.

Also there are a lot of guys touting the VHT 2/90/2 (is it also a fryette model now?) and I've heard good things about the Engls but the power amps are really expensive.

Also, is the bass guitar from your band going through the triple rec? I didn't quite understand that part. And how much bass do you need? I like a bassy guitar as much as the next guy, but what do you think an engineer is going to make you turn down first when mixing you? Most of us play with way too much bass because it's fun to :)

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stitch? :wub:

Zero, do you really need more bass in your guitar tone? Think of a live mix. Also, why would a head give you more bass than a component setup, or did I miss a beat here?
No, a head won't give me more bass. but, I figure if I'm thinking about possibly considering switching, I want to consider all my options. And fwiw, I don't want insane low-end bone-crushing bass, just a bit of oomph to the sound.

I tend to think of it in terms of brutality. When you think of brutal tone, there's 2 camps I think of as far as tube goes. Sledgehammer, like the Recto, and Chainsaw, with the ENGL stuff, for the most part, especially my setup, and I'd like to bridge that gap a bit. It's also not that I don't have bass, because I certainly do, but I feel like I have to cheat a bit to get there.

Speaking of cheating to get there, What are the odds that if I were to map out an EQ setting for my High-Gain tones on the G-Major that accentuate the bass a bit but leave everything else relatively flat, I'd achieve the desired result? As amps go, I've never really been happier with a setup I've owned, and I don't think I could do much better for ~$1500.

I think it's worth noting, though, that while we play live with a bass, the stuff I record by myself has no bass (yet) so I usually have to cheat to get some in there with post-production EQing, and It would be nice to not have to do that. That might change, though, I did just score a Peavey Data Bass on the cheap, which will probably find its way into a track or two.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
My impression is that the sledgehammer vs. chainsaw guitar tone boils down to midrange character - that sounds like low-mid emphasis vs. high-mid emphasis, respectively. Again I'm not sure how bass plays into that, but I think it's less important. To me bass was either rounded or thin/spiky, and either flubby/boomy or tight. I tend to like rounded and tight, myself.

Anyway, my guess is not that you need to move to a head, but that you should try a different pre-amp :2cents:. Your Mesa 50/50 should kick all kinds of ass, so maybe the E530 isn't what you want. Have you considered a GSP1101, POD X3 Pro or an Axe-FX? I'm only suggesting them because if you're considering bass guitar, I'm pretty sure they handle that instrument well (not sure if GSP1101 is good with bass).

I'm not sure if the GC in Plymouth Meeting or the Sam Ash in KOP has the GSP1101 or POD, but it would be fun to plug one into your rack and a 4x12 and see how it rocks. :D

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
chainsaw is scooped mids, lots of treble, far too much gain.

I'm not sure how your preamp sounds, but try backing off on the low end, boosting the treble and mids a bit, and messing with gain (less and more).

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
chainsaw is scooped mids, lots of treble, far too much gain.

I'm not sure how your preamp sounds, but try backing off on the low end, boosting the treble and mids a bit, and messing with gain (less and more).
When I think chainsaw, I think Bloodbath, which isn't insane gain. Just a Marshall boosted with a Boss HM-2, IIRC.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
:agreed: I was thinking of Eaten. I LOVE that riff and guitar tone. Someone post me a good YouTube of that, it's difficult to do here as YouTube is blocked at work.

:metal: EDIT:

Note how the bass guitar fills that guitar in nicely - I think the guitar is very weak on bass. Just sayin'. :D

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hm... how's the Carvin V3? I've never played one, but a NJ SS.org'r offered me it in a trade for just my 530. It's close enough that we're probably gonna meet up and have a shootout, but I didn't give him any more of an answer than that. If I like it, it would give me a good excuse to sell my Mesa 50/50 and buy a shiny guitar to replace it.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Hm... how's the Carvin V3? I've never played one, but a NJ SS.org'r offered me it in a trade for just my 530. It's close enough that we're probably gonna meet up and have a shootout, but I didn't give him any more of an answer than that. If I like it, it would give me a good excuse to sell my Mesa 50/50 and buy a shiny guitar to replace it.
True. True. Shootouts are good. :agreed:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The V3 is supposedly a Recto clone. I don't think it's all that similar myself. See what you think, but I personally think there are better options (although I don't play ultraheavy stuff either.)

Maybe a 5150? I know it'll hurt to play the same thing everyone else is playing, but there's a reason they are an industry standard these days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts