Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today's mission was simple. Hook up a second set of monitors to my MOTU 828mkii, so that I could A/B my mixes with my M-Audios and my Tascams.
Easy, right?

The MKii has a set of main outputs, and then outputs 1-8. So my main outs go to my M-Audios, and I figured hey, output 3+4 seem like a fine spot for the Tascams!

Well, apparently there's a bug with MOTU's mac drivers for my interface, at least with Reaper. I'm still not sure which is the culprit.

Output 3+4 is actually output 5+6 in the Reaper interface. I've no idea why this is, but let me tell you - when you assign something to an output on an interface that otherwise works perfectly, trying outputs that things aren't plugged into isn't high on the list.

MOTU Cuemix: Output 3+4
MOTU Unit: Output 3+4
MOTU Setup: Output 3+4

So in Reaper, I'm sending stuff to 3+4 thinking "Wtf, why doesn't this work?" I blamed my monitors. I blamed MOTU's software (which isn't super intuitive anyway). I blamed OSX's audio driver. I blamed Drew. :yesway:

Turns out, in Reaper, for some reason or another output 3+4 on the MOTU is actually 5+6. I'm assuming this goes for all outputs that aren't the main out. I wish I knew this, because 2 hours of fucking with cables, sample rates, and just about everything else later, I finally figured it out...

And both sets of monitors pretty much sound the same. :lol:

:facepalm:

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
:lol: Don't you just love trouble shooting?! Stuff like this can be so infuriating becuase, I agree with you, checking other outputs would be WAY down the list. :lol:

Glad you got it sorted. Maybe it's time for a set of Yamahas.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Today's mission was simple. Hook up a second set of monitors to my MOTU 828mkii, so that I could A/B my mixes with my M-Audios and my Tascams.
Easy, right?

The MKii has a set of main outputs, and then outputs 1-8. So my main outs go to my M-Audios, and I figured hey, output 3+4 seem like a fine spot for the Tascams!

Well, apparently there's a bug with MOTU's mac drivers for my interface, at least with Reaper. I'm still not sure which is the culprit.

Output 3+4 is actually output 5+6 in the Reaper interface. I've no idea why this is, but let me tell you - when you assign something to an output on an interface that otherwise works perfectly, trying outputs that things aren't plugged into isn't high on the list.

MOTU Cuemix: Output 3+4
MOTU Unit: Output 3+4
MOTU Setup: Output 3+4

So in Reaper, I'm sending stuff to 3+4 thinking "Wtf, why doesn't this work?" I blamed my monitors. I blamed MOTU's software (which isn't super intuitive anyway). I blamed OSX's audio driver. I blamed Drew. :yesway:

Turns out, in Reaper, for some reason or another output 3+4 on the MOTU is actually 5+6. I'm assuming this goes for all outputs that aren't the main out. I wish I knew this, because 2 hours of fucking with cables, sample rates, and just about everything else later, I finally figured it out...

And both sets of monitors pretty much sound the same. :lol:

:facepalm:
Dude, everybody knows it's actually 5+6. :lol:

Seriously though, does it do it in GB too, or just Reaper? that's a weird bug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts