Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....I picked up one of the full-sized Fenders heavies I keep around for bass and strumming acoustic and started playing some lead stuff, and shockingly it actually felt pretty natural. :lol:

I think what originally drew me to jazz-sized picks, especially the Stubby 3.0s I initially started on, was (to me) they had a less-pronounced attack than a Fender medium or heavy, and back in 1999 or 2000 my legato was decent (if uncontrolled) but my picking was fairly atrocious, so it let me mix in the odd picked note here and there without it standing out like a sore thumb. Today, my technique is a lot more balanced, so a crisper pick attack is actually kind of desirable, and as my picking has gotten steadily less of a trainwreck, I found I was having trouble with things like string skipping where I'd sometimes just miss over the top of the string when I jumped back up from the lower strings to the treble, and that I was prone to hitting accidental semi-harmonics in some situations where my thumb would just brush the top of the string along with my pick. Having a bit more surface area to work with (coupled with better pick control so I didn't NEED the smaller tip to ensure I wasn't digging in too much) was a pretty big help there.

Also, I think a lot of the Troy Grady Cracking the Code "pickslanting" stuff seems to make much more of a difference with a full sized pick than a jazz sized one; too early to say for sure, but I wonder if that was a bit of a hold up.

Final observation - what got me to pick up a regular pick in the first place was actually mandolin. I'd just been using my regular guitar picks on it and struggling to get clean, even tremolo picking (the pick always seemed to bite), but finally tried one of the uber-rounded picks that I got with the mandolin I have, and sure enough, they glide over the strings way easier. My trem picking is still hardly something I'd consider a strength, but early impressions are that it seems easier with a rounded tip than a pointed one, which is NOT what I would have expected.

tl;dr - everything I thought I knew about picks might be wrong, so I'm about to go buy a big bag of Fender Heavies.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I would suggest some XL jazz as an inbetween. I like mine at 1mm thick and they are great for everything. I cant stand regular Jazz III's now.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eh, what usually happens whenever I settle on a pick for a while (I've been using Tortex Pitch Black 1.0 jazz sized picks for a couple years) is that it kicks off several months of flip-flopping from pick to pick before I stick with something. :lol: I definitely want something with a rounded tip, though, based on my experience with mandolin picks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used to use the Jazz III grip until I bought 2mm gator picks to mess with. Those suckers were thick, and they impeded intricate playing to an extend, but damn they let me riff out and go over every string. "Thick" is how I would describe their affect on the sound. Instead of the smaller, thinner jazz pick hitting multiple strings over a chord, the gator just kinda gets them all at once, almost like a glue effect.

There's these cool Dunlop pick assortments you can buy on Amazon as a tac-on item and they come with over a dozen different picks. It's a really cheap and fun way to test out multiple picks without having to go pack by pack. I got one and settled on the gator and ultex sharp. both 1.14mm

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I would suggest some XL jazz as an inbetween. I like mine at 1mm thick and they are great for everything. I cant stand regular Jazz III's now.
That's where I ended up too. I got a couple of jumbo jazz picks with ht Rob Balducci's album many moons ago and ended up loving them.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I've been all over the board with this - finally settled about a year ago on Fender 347 Heavy. They're comfortable and small without being too stiff.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I always keep 4 different types of picks around - I always have these moments where the one I'm currently using feels wrong and one fo the others feels right - then a year later - same shit.....its a mystery wrapped in a lost sock in a clothes dryer wrapped in an enigma.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, I have a giant tuperware full of picks in different shapes and sizes, lol. I've gone anywhere from 3.0mm stubbies to 0.60mm jazz tortex over the years. It's just I don't really have more than a handful of full sized picks, and what I do have are mostly Juststrings freebies, which are mediums, and I want something a little stiffer since the bigger size adds some flex.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
That's where I ended up too. I got a couple of jumbo jazz picks with ht Rob Balducci's album many moons ago and ended up loving them.
I think I started on them after a xmas gift exchange when you sent some CQ picks with Speed HolesTM :lol:

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Can't see myself ever abandoning Jazz III's. I've used them forever ..the original Red & Black one's first for years, but then I've tried almost all the other/newer one's as well..ie Carbon Fiber/Max grip/Petrucci's etc. My faves are the Ultex Jazz III's (translucent yellow) & the Eric Johnson red's..

Other than them I use 3mm Big Stubby's (the translucent purple & the solid grey ones)....& pointy "Tortex Sharp's" (1.5mm) pretty often as well for a bit of variety. But Jazz III's are a staple :yesway:

I've tried a bunch of other's too, through the years but ^^ those are what I've stuck with :yesway:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Oh, I have a giant tuperware full of picks in different shapes and sizes,
I've got a tasteful decorative bowl, although most of them end up outside the bowl either temporarily or permanently lost. I just end up going with whatever these days.

+1,+2 on the Jazz III XLs. Those are probably the ones I most consistently.

I have a shitload in there I got from concerts. I guess they are kind of cool souvenirs or whatever, but I end up just using them. I like the ones from YJM and Helloween, which I believe are Dunlop Delrins.

I also have a shitload of Chris Quigley picks, which I believe are Intune. I must use them a bit, because I always find them in the washing machine/dryer from where I put them in my pockets and forgot about them.

D'addario actually does awesome picks. I just learned that last year. I use their blue Jazz ones quite a bit, they are slightly smaller than a Jazz III XL. I wish they were a bit bigger but they rule.

"Cool picks", those have like, sandpaper for the gripping surface. They wear easily though. I do lot of frantic trem/thrash picking type stuff and I tend to stay away from the stuff that is worn after 20 minutes of playing.

I had the Ultex regular jazzes. Not the ultex Jazz IIIs. Those are cool, but they wear fast.

Very rarely I like triangle picks. The increased area on those makes for really stiff/forceful strumming, which is cool if you do aggressive stuff. I find them a bit sluggish for anything else though.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got a tasteful decorative bowl, although most of them end up outside the bowl either temporarily or permanently lost. I just end up going with whatever these days.
Oh, I have one of those (technically, it's a gently-arched platter intended as a base for a pillar candle), but I reserve that for the particular type(s) I'm using at the time. I just have a big tupperware of the ones I used to use, on a bookshelf. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I've got a ton of picks too and I always go back to the Jazz III size ones. Though I still have a bunch of In Touch picks from my old band I keep around that feel like the Dunlop Tortex picks but are Jazz III size and they're just awesome. Jazz picks for lyfe! :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got a ton of picks too and I always go back to the Jazz III size ones. Though I still have a bunch of In Touch picks from my old band I keep around that feel like the Dunlop Tortex picks but are Jazz III size and they're just awesome. Jazz picks for lyfe! :lol:
Idunno, it's been less than a week, and I already think my picking control (and tone) is better with a full sized Fender heavy than it was any of the jazz sized picks I've used. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly, I'm digging the rounded tip. I'm surprised, but it does seem to glide across the string easier than a sharper jazz-like tip - I know a mandolin, with its double courses, isn't a perfect analogy, but I was shocked how much easier trem picking got with a proper (rounded) mandolin pick than it did with even an ultral light (0.60mm) Jazz.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Chiming in just because I'm starting to look into new picks, myself.

I've used Jazz style picks on an off for MOST of my playing life, and exclusively for the last 6 to 8 years. I've always liked them because the size of other picks have always felt a little cumbersome, so the Jazz III was small but just big enough to get a good grip, they've felt sufficiently 'grippy', the tips are sharp and the pick itself doesn't deflect much; all traits I *felt* lent themselves to playing precise and complicated lines, fast.

Well, these days, I'm not really feeling 'em. I've played a LOT of legato over the last few years (which the Jazz III works well for) but I've been doing more trem/alternate picked lined lately and I constantly feel like I'm fighting against the pick BECAUSE it doesn't deflect at all. I've got a pile of cheap shit picks I've collected over time (free with purchases, promotional items, etc) and I tried a super thin, full sized pick and the bending of the pick made trem picking 1000x easier, and the larger size made gripping the pick feel less cramped. I still don't like the 'twappy' action of the thin picks, plus it had no grip, but I'm definitely thinking more about something in that format.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts