Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't even mastered.

Yep.

Interview with Iron Maiden: Conquered Earth; Next, The Final Frontier | The Aquarian Weekly

I've heard it. It sounds very open and organic. They eschewed the usual loudness maximizing shit, stereo enhancers, and just went with a more raw sound (honestly, the individual tracks were mixed damn near perfect anyway).

Interesting. Not saying loud and enhanced albums sound bad - I think KsE's TEoH is both loud, wide and sounds great! Of course, the newest Metallica lbum sounded like total dogshit, from a recording perspective (I liked the songs OK, for the most part).

·
18,790 Posts
It makes sense, really. With the way recording technology has gone, it's a lot easier to get consistency during tracking/mixing, and the original purpose of mastering was partly for consistency, but mostly for the actual cutting of the master for vinyl pressing and getting the most out of that medium. Hell, that's why so many early CD releases sound so terrible, the tracks were mastered for vinyl (mid heavy, not much lows or highs because they make it hard for the needle to track the groove, and it's all made up for on the playback side) and never re-mastered for CD.

·
18,790 Posts
Cool. Albums should go back to having more dynamics.
:agreed: Hell, albums should have more dynamics than they ever have, since noise floors are so much lower and dynamic range is so much higher. People want it louder? Let them turn it the fuck up :hbang: Radio wants it loud? Release a "single edit" that's mastered to hell as usual, but keep the album dynamic.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
To tell you the truth, while I love Maiden's music, the production on AMOLAD and TFF is not the best.

I can live with it, because they're a live band now, lots of their newer stuff slays done like this:

I didn't think much of it on the CD, but :wub:... Well, until the Yanick solo, but what are you gonna do? :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I've heard it. It sounds very open and organic. They eschewed the usual loudness maximizing shit, stereo enhancers, and just went with a more raw sound (honestly, the individual tracks were mixed damn near perfect anyway).
It's tough to say for sure, reading that article... I got the impression it WAS mastered, but they didn't really do any volume maximization.

If so, right the fuck on on their part. I think mastering makes sense, and should probably always be done - even levels from track to track, get a second set of ears on the mixes and make sure the album has a consistent sound, etc - but I'd LOVE to see the volume wars end.

I'll have to check this out. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
adio wants it loud? Release a "single edit" that's mastered to hell as usual, but keep the album dynamic.
Radios limit the shit out of everything, anyway. A quieter master would, paradoxically, probably stand up to that better than a louder one.

·
18,790 Posts
Radios limit the shit out of everything, anyway. A quieter master would, paradoxically, probably stand up to that better than a louder one.
:agreed: I know "Chinese Democracy" sounded incredible on radio, and it was also barely touched during the mastering stage (the mastering engineer said he used "just enough compression to make it sound like rock 'n' roll"), whereas the songs from "Death Magnetic" sounded even worse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts