Metal Guitarist Forums banner

So, Bogner Ecstasy; thoughts?

5K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  Venator 
#1 ·
I'm really wanting a Marshally style sound for my setup because the 5150 and my little Marshall JTM30 combo aren't cutting it. I've heard the Ecstacy does the snarly JMP style crunch extremely well and there's a couple floating around Australia at present (yet there's only one Uberschall and its over $1000 more). I've been toying between the idea of this and a Soldany Lucky 13 because I really like the sound demos I've heard of them and I have a stupid need to add a Soldano to my collection and an SLO is about a year or so off.

So yeah, any input would be appreciated. It's just another amp to add to the recording arsenal however I am toying with the idea of retiring my Triaxis/2:90 because I'm struggling to get the tones I want out of it anymore.

#7 ·
Is the Shiva any cheaper?
the other guitarist in the band I'm playing in right now uses one and gets great Marhally tones.
compliments my JVM really nicely (JVM 210H could also be a consideration) the 3 mods I had done to mine (all very easy and cheap)
really opened up mine and sounds killer. Stock?.............kind of fizzy and congested , now......much better.

#10 ·
I've heard they do Plexi pretty well, but they're really mostly known for their high gain Red channel. I want one, and I don't generally like the "Marshall" sound - take that for what it's worth.

For the same price as a JCM800, well... I'd be worried something was wrong with the Bogner. :lol:

#14 ·
I live in a country where anything 'made is usa' is generally hyper inflated price wise however JCM800s and Plexis tend to go for about $2000 or so. It's really weird as other things go for stupidly low prices comparatively. I was lucky enough to find an Ecstasy with almost every option from the factory installed (metal grille, dual impedance speaker outs, attenuator loop and some others) for $2500 and decided to snap it up. It was in a pawn store in WA (the other side of the country) so I arranged for it to be shipped to me. Should arrive next week.

#18 ·
I'm considering going into the reamping business for some occasional extra cash and probably start hiring the amps out for recording projects here in Sydney as ive somehow amassed a collection of less than common amps to Australia.

That's my excuse for blowing a few grand on an SLO and using it as a tax write off.

#19 ·
Well I sent pics of the amp to Bogner for some info and it was made July 1996 and had all factory options that were available then and that particular variation of the Ecstasy was discontinued in 98. He even used the word 'rare' to describe it which is a term I fucking hate but may be a little apt in this case. Cheering.

#21 ·
If I'm spending that much money, why cheap out just to go for the baby brother? Not to mention that here in Australia the Avenger (if you can find one) goes for about $3500 used. The SLO about $4000.

Seriously Australia is a whacky place to buy music gear.

#28 ·
I honestly couldn't hear the difference between the Avenger and the Slo, I didn't a/b them, but the Avenger I played sounded damn near exact what I remembered the Slo's od channel as. However considering the prices over there, I'd just get a slo too.

edit: Scratch that, just listened to some AB videos and they're a little different. Really damn close, but the Slo's preferable.

#29 ·
It's a marginal difference but people pay for the badge on the outside. Hell I've got a Blues Junior for sale and people are busting my balls over whether its a US made or Mexican, green or cream board etc etc. So if I'm gonna hire or reamp for people they'll want a 'proper' SLO, or a proper JCM800 or whatever.

#32 ·
Not a huge fan of the two either, but Knopfler did have an awesome clean sound.

And a $2500AUD Ecstasy is nuts, man. Nice score. That's one of those amps I've always wanted to try - people who've played them tell me this is pretty much what you get when you plug a superstrat into the red channel, unboosted, and I love this tone:

#34 ·
I can deal with that. What's cool is that the Red and Blue channels have their own footswitchable boosts onboard which will be fun to play with.

Also this one being the pre 98 model has channel assignable speaker outs which means I could have an open back 410 for my cleans and one of my 412 cabs for my dirty tones. Now to wait about a week whilst it crosses literally the entire country to get here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.