Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best $180 i've ever spent! I'm already planning on getting a better printer here in the near future but i've been printing and creating some cool stuff. My previous 3d rendering experience was opening up Blender a couple of times and feeling completely lost. :lol: However, times have changed! I started out using Tinkercad but have since moved on to using 123d Design mostly but with other programs too. I find AI and PSD very useful for many things as well.

Here's a few things i've printed here recently. The Starcraft emblems and christmas tree were not my design

This one doesn't look nearly as awesome after the paint dried. :( I've been meaning to experiment with it more to see if I can make it look that cool but just haven't had the time.

This was printed as a breakaway puzzle type thing

Working on some fancy looking NFC chip holders

And of course, my greatest creation thus far:
26~ hours worth of printing and a little bit of simple wiring and arduino coding. Yep, it's got a Raspberry Pi running RetroPie inside!

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
All cool looking stuff. What unite are you using? How long did something like the Starcraft emblem take?

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
All cool looking stuff. What unite are you using? How long did something like the Starcraft emblem take?
I'm using an Anet A8 right now. It's a Prusa i3 clone. I knew it would take a lot of tinkering (as well as assembling) to get it printing well and I learned a lot in the process. It prints pretty damn good for the price but the acrylic frame is definitely the weakest link. I'll be buying a Maker Select V2 here in the near future. I really want to build a lulzbot taz6 clone but it's not a cheap build and the Maker Select is a hell of a printer with a few (mostly printed) mods.

The Zerg and Terran emblems both took around 8 hours. I'm using different software now for slicing (converting the objects into code for the printer) that prints at a higher resolution but it's slower so they would probably take around 10 hours now.

Edit-
Here she is in all her glory. I've actually done more mods since this pic. Currently working on converting an ATX power supply for use, adding a little mosfet board for the heatbed, and a few other safety related things.

Holy shit I'm getting one...
Unless you Really like tinkering with stuff, i'd suggest spending a bit more on a Maker Select from Monoprice. Even if you do like tinkering you'd be better off with one of the Monoprice printers. Metal chassis, already assembled, and just superior machines for not much more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts