·
Arrr, Matey!
1,801 Posts
:fubar:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,732 Posts
Who has them back in stock?

Sure claw Pro-tip: Before telling people how much they rule, make sure you buy all of the available stock in the US.

Mandatory mod for trem'd guitars.

They suck though, and people should definitely not go out and buy them.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,732 Posts
I'm actually surprised that with the high mass trem parts craze Floyd Upgrades hasn't done a clone.

They certainly add a lot of mass to the trem system and are heavy duty quality machining. FU has like, regular style claws in heavier metals, but they can't compete with the Schaller.

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,732 Posts
This dude on Reverb. I just grabbed another one for my ESP (the first one was for that new Ibanez I just picked up).

https://reverb.com/item/35730750-ne...g-tensioner-tension-strat-tremolo-bp-0108-000

I don't know if ~$60 is highway robbery or not but I don't really care, my OCD loves this thing The fact that the allen key is the same size as the locking nut screws is a nice touch too.
That's a standardish price. I got a couple for that price and some lower. You want to get them from a shop, because ordering from overseas takes forever and has additional costs.

They aren't always listed under Sure Claw or the correct number. Tricky to find. Confusing brand to order from. They don't even have everything listed on their own site and some of the stuff is obscure model numbers only.

Half Schallers better parts are a fucking bitch to order. Or near impossible to find. :lol: They 5 way and 3 way blades are also much nicer than anything you can get elsewhere. Anything machined I look at their stuff first. Although sperzel and hipshot make nice top end stuff too, though not as established brands and less selection.

They make the nicest top hat style knobs too. Not cheap though. Heavy as fuck. https://schaller.info/en/knobs/294/strat-knob?number=15010100

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,732 Posts
BTW Chris, I know you are Mr. Pegboard so this will interest you as well. They do really nice "buy once and never worry about that shit again" screw kits that are even harder to find. I've bought one twice only to have the order put on ice and told they don't actually have any in stock. They also have prices all over the place. They aren't listed on their site anymore it seems. I don't know if they do catalogs with all their parts numbers or not.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Ive honestly never heard of this thing. Can someone explain what this does and possibly give me another reason to blow money that I shouldnt be?

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive honestly never heard of this thing. Can someone explain what this does and possibly give me another reason to blow money that I shouldnt be?
Think of it like a fine tuner for your trem claw. I kind of forgot all about them until I saw one in a Daemoness build video recently and decided to give one a shot.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,732 Posts
Heavy ass chunk of nicely machined metal that fixes the problems of having to adjust screws that are going directly into wood whenever you adjust claw tension. Also only adjusts at one point, so you don't have two posts with uneven lengths. Adjustment is obviously much smoother, though I'm sure if you have one for 20 years you might need to lubricate it eventually. That's about it.

May or may not work in your guitar depending on stuff like body depth and pickup routes on the top though.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Basically it replaces your 12 century outdated Claw and Tight screws design that Guitar Builders insist in using, for something that is just a simple turn of like a Truss Rod to put the Bridge levelled. No more using a screw driver and tighten or loose two screws. Its very similar to what Ibanez did on some of their trems.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,732 Posts
They also pair well with the ESP arming adjustors. Some people use two. That's the classic heavy duty setup.

Those don't provide any functional advantage over the more basic trem stop design, but they are certainly the sure claw version of the more basic bent L version.

The arming adjustors used to be a rare item like the kahler autolatch like 8-10 years back, but ESP started doing them again and now availability is pretty good.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,801 Posts
They also pair well with the ESP arming adjustors. Some people use two. That's the classic heavy duty setup.

Those don't provide any functional advantage over the more basic trem stop design, but they are certainly the sure claw version of the more basic bent L version.

The arming adjustors used to be a rare item like the kahler autolatch like 8-10 years back, but ESP started doing them again and now availability is pretty good.

I have one of those sitting on my desk. When I googled it last year I could not figure out what it was. I pulled it out of a MIM Fender Strat with a Floyd Rose.... thanks. Now I know what it actually is.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,732 Posts
I have one of those sitting on my desk. When I googled it last year I could not figure out what it was. I pulled it out of a MIM Fender Strat with a Floyd Rose.... thanks. Now I know what it actually is.
They're cool units for sure. A lot of guys use two, or apparently one with superglue. :lol: They actually predate the Ibanez stuff by quite a bit.

There's a variety of makes over the years. Some that are two on a single plate. There are some new variants with more of a worm drive thing going on. Amazon Prime is a godsend for that obscure trem stuff.

I've seen some guys with crazy home made setups made out of barrel style deadbolts or bolt action rifle parts.

Some of the classic obscure ones in original packaging go for insane money on places like Whammi World. I think the new ones ESP does are like ~$40.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,732 Posts
The tremsetter doesnt work 100% tho.

I had to superglue the parts because the screw would unscrew a little, and cause the zero point to shift!!!

Superglue absolutely needed for that thing.
Yeah, the softer body woods aren't as secure for stuff that mounts into the wood in that direction with shorter screws. So it's variable on a number of factors for sure.

If you have one of those in a ridiculously dense wood that doesn't strip easily like maple body it's solid as fuck. Basswood or things like that are more of a crapshoot because the wood is softer and the screws are pretty short.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts