Metalguitarist.org banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
You definitely can't drill a single hole in 1/16" aluminum without a professional quality drill press and a selection of the purest distillation of drill bits.
GTFO, you use the same bits for metal and wood? That only ends with a huge selection of ruined drill bits. Not to mention the hideous nails on chalkboard screeching sound and smoke.

Freehanding at a high speed without it held in place would also entail more grinding along the edges with a carbide bit after to not leave sharp burrs.

This is clearly the advice of a man who is currently unaware the sure claws he foolishly mentioned he intended to purchase have already been bought out from under him by Crooks. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Moral of the story: Everyone should own a drill press.
Well, a jig at the minimum.

Like the special Sperzel tuner jig Chris has mentioned owning many times that facilitates drilling into the maple portion of a guitar without making a mess since maple is quite dense and inadvisable to freehand drill into he is conveniently forgetting about. :lol:

Owns a jig for drilling for Sperzels, advises freehanding everything else. WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?

·
Dream Crusher
21,052 Posts
Owns a jig for drilling for Sperzels, advises freehanding everything else. WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?
Right? :lol:

No big deal. I'd just predrill with a hand drill and blue tape on the bit so it stops at the right depth. Although a good drill press is a wonderful thing.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts

No big deal. I'd just predrill with a hand drill and blue tape on the bit so it stops at the right depth. Although a good drill press is a wonderful thing.
Yeah, tape marks or a depth stop, improvised or proper or whatever are the most important bits. The reviews for the unit definitely have quite a few people mentioning they didn't do that and punched through a pickup route. Especially on harder woods it's harder to guage the resistance of based on feel.

The screws are quite shallow, but you have to figure out beforehand where they are in relation to any pickup routes on top. There's quite a lot of space between the bottom floor of the trem cavity and the top surface of the guitar, but definitely not that much between the floor of the trem cavity route and the bottom of any pickup routes.

On softer woods like basswood I definitely agree with Chris that you can most likely safely freehand it based on feel and resistance to avoid punching through, but I still say errr on the side of caution.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well, a jig at the minimum.

Like the special Sperzel tuner jig Chris has mentioned owning many times that facilitates drilling into the maple portion of a guitar without making a mess since maple is quite dense and inadvisable to freehand drill into he is conveniently forgetting about. :lol:

I haven't put a set of Sperzels on anything in god knows how long, and if you weren't such a goddamn millennial you'd know that the jig isn't for helping the screws bite, it's for making sure the hole is in the right place dude. :lol:

Seriously, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself. :lol:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Well now that the two pillars of MG manliness have spoken, can we proceed? :lol:

My answer to your question was that you just screw the thing in. Either with a screwdriver like I did, or with the Hubble telescope and an unhealthy/creepy obsession with shit I said 10 years ago like Garrett does.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I haven't put a set of Sperzels on anything in god knows how long, and if you weren't such a goddamn millennial you'd know that the jig isn't for helping the screws bite, it's for making sure the hole is in the right place dude. :lol:

Seriously, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself. :lol:
The jig is so they go in straight, because maple is hard enough it will deflect things and you will end up with a messy angled hole. Wood screws don't bite easily into maple, because it is dense. So if you try drill straight without a jig or without the thing held steadily in place, you will end up with a mess.

I actually want to know where the real Chris is. Who the fuck is this imposter? :lol: This conversation should have been me giving some bizarrely cavalier advice about how to Macguyver something and you coming in with "do it right, you millennial".

Like, how did I get saddled with making the Chris argument of "you should probably use the proper tools" here? :lol: Don't you have a workbench with a vise? I definitely put the guitar body (with towels to prevent scratching no less) in the vice to hold it stead even on the ones I more or less freehanded.

I'm mentally listing that on my "Things Chris has extremely unexpected nonsensical views about"

Which reads:

1) A bizarre amount of oddly specific bird based similes describing Jon Oliva's voice
2) Mulch > Gravel
3) You can install a Sure Claw using only a screwdriver

GTFO of here. I'm the one who is supposed to have bizarrely nonsensical views here.

I'm waiting for "how to route the guitar for your Manowar cover band for a double locking trem using only your herculean strength".

and

"How to intonate your guitars using only a fire, mankinds oldest technology"

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ritalin-fueled diatribe
Bro just stop. :lol: Take a look around you right now at all the shoddy looking weird shit you've built and posted over the years here. Then sit back, take a deep breath, and realize that you don't need a fucking micrometer and a professional carpenter to install a SureClaw. I installed mine in about 60 seconds with the guitar sitting in my lap. When the next one shows up for my ESP I'll be happy to make you an install video if it helps you along the path of manhood a bit.

This is certainly one of your more disappointing tangents.

:picard:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I definitely put the guitar body (with towels to prevent scratching no less) in the vice to hold it stead even on the ones I more or less freehanded.
How badly are your hands shaking that you need to put the body in a vice to drill a pilot hole? This makes so much more sense now. :lol:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Deal, I forgot this was a thread started by you. Usually we only stick to derailing threads started by other people with petty arguments.
Right? Page 6 and we're still discussing the topic in the OP. Stop fucking about, we should be on to something completely different by now. What are your thought on meatloaf seasoning?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Right? Page 6 and we're still discussing the topic in the OP. Stop fucking about, we should be on to something completely different by now. What are your thought on meatloaf seasoning?
This isn't even the most bizarre feud over a guitar tremolo related accessory I have going with an MG.org admin.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Just super glue it.

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
I successfully turned a thread about a useful guitar part into a wrestling match over the nature of manliness. Job well done.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts