Metalguitarist.org banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
You only need your backplate on if you play naked and a) still have hair down there and or b) have a loose sack.

I'm always clothed when I play, so my backplates are always off.

Yes, I have an IXO, but it's still six screws I cannae be arsed with whizzing out and back in again ad infinitum.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well shit, thanks for mentioning that, just when I thought Dave had forgotten about it. I was actually referring to my Bigsby feud with Drew.
If your'e allowed to bring up tuners I haven't actually purchased in like 10 years I can bring up the whammy bar you screwed Dave on 10 years ago too. :lol:

:dillon:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
If your'e allowed to bring up tuners I haven't actually purchased in like 10 years I can bring up the whammy bar you screwed Dave on 10 years ago too. :lol:

:dillon:
Did I miss my chance to bring up the Radi-Plane? A must own for everyone. For those lightly chamfered edges.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'm always clothed when I play, so my backplates are always off.
This is the only way to do it BTW. I just always assumed everyone did it that way. Especially to show off your black noiseless springs/overpriced big block. :immortal: I've never put a trem cover back on after getting a guitar. I think FU does more colors now, but you can't go wrong with black.

Of course, Eric Johnson, who can also hear the difference between types of batteries, has strong feelings about it as well. :lol: His signature guitars don't even have one.

Eric Johnson is whacky about a lot of things, but I agree with him 100% there.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Was it decibel who was doing the magnetic/recessed cover plates? ( :( )

Whoever it was, it was a super cool idea. My Carvin is semi-snazzy, it has threaded inserts for metric screws instead of just holes for small wood screws. It's slick. It also doesn't say Kiezel anywhere on it. :yesway:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts

Whoever it was, it was a super cool idea. My Carvin is semi-snazzy, it has threaded inserts for metric screws instead of just holes for small wood screws. It's slick. It also doesn't say Kiezel anywhere on it. :yesway:
Inserts definitely classify as full on snazzy in my book. More companies should do them. There's definitely a lot of luddites out there when it comes to that stuff though.

I think there are a couple of the higher end bass companies who do the covers made out of wood they saved when they routed in held by magnets. Those are the insanely high end $4k and up price range basses though.

Pedulla does matching wood, don't know if they do magnets. Can't remember the companies that do.

·
Premium Member
4,184 Posts
Can you get the same effect by using high tension springs on the outside and a normal in the middle? thats all the chicken foot does is unbalance the springs to make flutters better?

·
Guitarded
Rig: Marshall DSL20
429 Posts
Don't forget your drill press, acetylene torch, flux wire welder, paint stirrer, left handed hammer and bottle of directional fluid as well.

Or just be a goddamn man and push down on the screwdriver. I mean, your choice.

:clint:
got me with the directional fluid. :lol:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Can you get the same effect by using high tension springs on the outside and a normal in the middle? thats all the chicken foot does is unbalance the springs to make flutters better?
Do you actually flutter a lot? I don't think I've intentionally done it in a non-joking way since the 90s. :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts

The first place I remember seeing magnetic cover plates was on the Ibanez PIA.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts