Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
So, if I were considering a storage solution accessible by two Macs capable of 1TB to access every now and then, and another 1TB to backup, what would you suggest?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, if I were considering a storage solution accessible by two Macs capable of 1TB to access every now and then, and another 1TB to backup, what would you suggest?
A USB hard drive shared from one of the macs.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
3 Seagate drives in my life, 3 dead Seagate drives.

I've got a Western Digital drive that came with my HP in 2001 and it's still running today.

@Chris - Spank bank?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone has different experiences. I have stacks of dead WD drives. And now I have a stack of dead Seagate drives. They're all crap. :lol:

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
Years ago, Seagate seemed to be one of the good ones, but 7/10 working HDDs of the lot is a seriously fucked up number.

I wonder if there's any correlation to platter sizes increasing, or if it's just a general degration of overall quality control.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, WTF do you buy anymore? They're all a crapshoot.
You buy lots of spares. :lol:

Unfortunately in my case I'm putting together an 8-bay SAN, so I needed at least eight of the damn things to work.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Damn that's fucked up. I've got the worst luck of anyone I know when it comes to buying electronics and getting lemons, but you might have me beat on this one.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
And three of them were dead right out of the box. Don't buy these.

I bought eight 4TB Seagate Enterprise class SATA drives, and one was dead. Unacceptable for a $400 drive.

Everyone has different experiences. I have stacks of dead WD drives. And now I have a stack of dead Seagate drives. They're all crap. :lol:
As you well know (being in the same boat as me) anyone who's been in IT long enough has favorites that change over time. I used to love Seagate, hate them now. Used to love Hitachi, now I don't. Used to love HP servers, now not so much. Used to love Apple, now.......well of course I still love them! :rofl:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
I have more WD drives die on me than any other. And it's been a mix of the drive dies, but the enclosure is OK, and the enclosure dies, but the drive is OK. Also, the only drives I've had to play the enclosure shuffle game have been WD.

I've had Segates die unexpectedly too.

The only brand that's not given me troubles has been Hitachi/IBM drives.

Ray

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The only manufacturer with drives that fail in Sun servers more than Seagate is Fujitsu.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The only manufacturer with drives that fail in Sun servers more than Seagate is Fujitsu.
Fujitsu are absolute shit. Dell used them a ton in the early to mid-2000's, and when I worked in Chicago all I did was go from client to client replacing hard drives on servers. Fucking Dell and their shit choices for components.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Dell is the originator of flavor of the month hardware. Whatever component manufacturer is cheapest that month goes in the computer. That's why an HP server costs 50% again as much.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts