Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and now I want to either practice furiously or burn my instruments - ritually, while doing yoga. Seriously, even if you're not a fan - although that's utterly impossible for me to understand - just go see them for the musicianship, which is utterly incredible.

On the gear front, the AxeFX clean tones were spectacular. The gain tones weren't as good, but sounded better than anyone else I've heard using modelers, despite the venue (The Rock & Roll Hotel) sounding like ass.

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
I caught them last night. I really enjoyed myself, Paul is an incredible player. I heard a lot of Axe FX tones that sounded like the presets I've ran through with a friend before. Paul had nothing but positives to say about it.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
I saw them supporting Opeth at the back end of 2008 and was so excited about seeing them I felt like a child again. They were so amazing that night in terms of sound, musicianship and even for a band who don't move around on stage - presence. I was very tempted to leave once Opeth came on as I was struck by a wave of disappointment that Cynic weren't on stage anymore (also I have seen Opeth so many times to be fair... ;))

I can't understand why there isn't more mention of them on the forums. 'Traced in Air' is a must own for me and should be in every prog metal fans album listening rotation.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I'm a huge Cynic fan and was just wearing my Cynic t-shirt yesterday. Although I vastly prefer Focus, Traced In Air is an excellent album as well and I've listened to it a ridiculous amount of times since it came out. I've learned to play two songs off of Focus, but I can't really even play Paul's solos :lol: (I can play some of Jason's). Just the entire way he approaches solos is alien to me. His approach to rhythm guitar is much easier to grasp.

I think if I had to pick whether I liked Cynic better or Atheist better, it'd be really hard to choose since they're both so awesome.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
Although I vastly prefer Focus, Traced In Air is an excellent album as well and I've listened to it a ridiculous amount of times since it came out.
Although I might get abuse for this I think I prefer 'Traced In Air' to 'Focus' :eek:.
I love the songs on 'Focus' but it doesn't really feel like an album the way that 'Traced In Air' does. It may also just be the case that I have gotten totally fed up with listening to Focus because of how badly it's recorded. :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
We've had this conversation before. :lol: I actually don't think Focus' recording is that bad at all. I would say "the remixes are a lot better," but I remember that you had told me that you thought the remixes sounded bad too. :lol:

It should be taken for granted that an album recorded in 2008 is going to sound better than one recorded 15 years earlier in 1993.

I also disagree about the "sounding more like an album" thing. I think they both feel like albums just as "equally." Neither really have songs that flow together or seem like they need to be in that order.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think if I had to pick whether I liked Cynic better or Atheist better, it'd be really hard to choose since they're both so awesome.
See, that's no contest for me: Atheist are good at what they're doing - stretching the boundaries of Florida-style death metal - but were never compelling to me. Cynic is transcendental.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
I saw them supporting Opeth at the back end of 2008 and was so excited about seeing them I felt like a child again. They were so amazing that night in terms of sound, musicianship and even for a band who don't move around on stage - presence. I was very tempted to leave once Opeth came on as I was struck by a wave of disappointment that Cynic weren't on stage anymore (also I have seen Opeth so many times to be fair... ;))

I can't understand why there isn't more mention of them on the forums. 'Traced in Air' is a must own for me and should be in every prog metal fans album listening rotation.
I was at that gig too, awesome about sums it up. I'd seen them before at a festival a few years prior, before 'Traced in Air' was released, but they were even better in a gig setting.

·
Registered
580 Posts
...and now I want to either practice furiously or burn my instruments - ritually, while doing yoga. Seriously, even if you're not a fan - although that's utterly impossible for me to understand - just go see them for the musicianship, which is utterly incredible.

On the gear front, the AxeFX clean tones were spectacular. The gain tones weren't as good, but sounded better than anyone else I've heard using modelers, despite the venue (The Rock & Roll Hotel) sounding like ass.
The last spiritual experience I had at a live show, happened with Cynic in 2009. Amazing, and their tones were delish.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
We've had this conversation before. :lol: I actually don't think Focus' recording is that bad at all. I would say "the remixes are a lot better," but I remember that you had told me that you thought the remixes sounded bad too. :lol:

It should be taken for granted that an album recorded in 2008 is going to sound better than one recorded 15 years earlier in 1993.

I also disagree about the "sounding more like an album" thing. I think they both feel like albums just as "equally." Neither really have songs that flow together or seem like they need to be in that order.
I think we just have to agree to disagree! :lol: I think for we are lucky for once that we both like Cynic. :lol:

Mr. S said:
I was at that gig too, awesome about sums it up. I'd seen them before at a festival a few years prior, before 'Traced in Air' was released, but they were even better in a gig setting.
Shepherds Bush Empire? Nice one! Was it just me or were Opeth really disappointing? Everyone I went with said they were amazing. I think I was just a bit too excited about Cynic (translates to: was a completely drunken moron shouting at the person stood next to me and any person standing close enough for not getting excited about Cynic being on stage) ... :crazyeye:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I actually found them quite boring. But then, they were in an odd place on the bandlist that night: Scale the Summit, Devin Townsend, Cynic, and BTBAM. The show went from cool, to better, to way to mellow, to WTF is this noise :lol:

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
I actually found them quite boring. But then, they were in an odd place on the bandlist that night: Scale the Summit, Devin Townsend, Cynic, and BTBAM. The show went from cool, to better, to way to mellow, to WTF is this noise :lol:
:(

I find this really weird because I imagined that if anyone would like them it would be the likes of you Leon, Drew, Chris and Vince because it's still got that good prog thing to it. I would seriously recommend picking up their last album and giving it another go.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
There's actually a LOT of prog that I just can't get into. But as far as Cynic goes, I think if they would have started the show, it would have sat better in the mix, and thus sat better with me.

It was just a total drag on the show :lol:. They seem like the kind of band you go see in a theater with seats. THAT would be cool. I can't stand up for an hour listening to yoga-core.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
Fair enough. They definitely don't fit the vibe of the rest of the lineup you mentioned. And believe me they are worth a second shot ... if you can listen to Steely Dan and not be pissed off you should have more than enough patience for Cynic! :rofl:

Realised it would be a bit more constructive if I actually put up something for you to listen to:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
There's actually a LOT of prog that I just can't get into. But as far as Cynic goes, I think if they would have started the show, it would have sat better in the mix, and thus sat better with me.

It was just a total drag on the show :lol:. They seem like the kind of band you go see in a theater with seats. THAT would be cool. I can't stand up for an hour listening to yoga-core.
IMO, a badass band is still a badass band weather your standing or sitting or flying ect or if they are sandwiched between bands unlike them.

Oh, and i cant get into focus at all.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I saw them a little over a week ago and they were great. :metal: I was super thrilled that they played "Cosmos."

Dysrhythmia I didn't care for at all; shrill is the only way I can describe the tone.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts