Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We stopped by and checked out where we'll be recording our EP yesterday on our way to the Motorhead gig.... wow. I'm fucking stoaked. We've got a LOT of gear to play with:

Amps:
Mesa Single Rect (mine)
Carvin Legacy
Carvin Legacy II
Marshall JCM 800
Music Man 130
Fender Bassman
Fender super chorus
Carvin Bass Stack

Drum Kits:
Gretch 4 piece Catalina Birch (his)
Tama Granstar 7 piece I think Maple
Zildjian A Custom cymbals

Synths
Alesis QS8.8
Yamaha DX5
Korg DS-8

Guitars
Gibson 59 Les Paul
PRS 10 Top
Carvin Custom
Fender USA Strats (2)
Ibanez Prestige RG1550
Fernandes Revolver Pro 81
(and of course mine)
Gibson V
Gibson Explorer
Schecter PT
Picket Tele

Didn't look through the Mic's but i'll have some SM57's and be borrowing some Sennheiser mics (e906 mainly) from my dad.

We'll be running everything through an all in one board system that records, mixes, and burns however i'll also be putting everything through my PC rather than using just the board's effects and what not. I don't know much about the board, but i'll be doing some research on it so I can somewhat figure out how to get it routed to my PC. I'll be doing the basic rough mix myself, and then sending everything over FTP to be mixed and we haven't decided where it'll be mastered yet.

This shit is going to sound bad fucking ass! :scream: :metal:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
No SVT and no Nord? Shame! :lol:

Looks like plenty of stuff to play with.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No 5150 :(

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No SVT and no Nord? Shame! :lol:

Looks like plenty of stuff to play with.
No, but we'll probably record bass direct anyway. Or do direct super clean, then an overdriven bass track through the amp. The keys will mostly be B3 Organ sounds, which the Alesis does damn good.

Also by "Music Man" I don't mean an Ernie Ball.... I mean one of these:

:flex:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I know what an HD130 is. Never a huge fan myself, but some guys like them.

Also, the real gold standard for mic'ing a bass amp is a B-15.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what an HD130 is. Never a huge fan myself, but some guys like them.

Also, the real gold standard for mic'ing a bass amp is a B-15.
I'll keep that in mind. The Music Man will be great for clean stuff and some twangy strat/tele stuff.

For micing the bass amp, I don't know what all mic's i'll have available but I know I will be micing the amp in a few positions AND running it direct at the same time so I can get the playing perfect and be able to compare tones etc.

Guitar amp's will be mic'd with a e906, SM57 and possibly something else at different positions. I also want to do one "room" condenser for guitar amps to experiment with natural room reverb.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Planning on snagging an Audix I5 I just found for 50 bucks, so for guitar i'll have an SM57, Audix I5, Sennheiser e906 and just use whatever condenser he's got for the room mic. I'm going to see what we're working with for bass mics and vocals as well. I think the drum mics are all Shure stuff, but I didn't look at them (we were kinda in a rush).

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
If it's a Shure set, the kick mic can work well with some bass amps. I did that when I helped my friend record a few years back, sounded great with a Line 6 running an SVT sim.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's a Shure set, the kick mic can work well with some bass amps. I did that when I helped my friend record a few years back, sounded great with a Line 6 running an SVT sim.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking initially. Like I said I don't know what mic's he has so I may have more to work with than I think.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
FWIW, for all my whining about SVTs and mics, the best recorded bass tones i've gotten have been either a Line 6 LD amp DI'ed, or my Eden WT400 DI'ed. Reamping is your friend with bass, since if you want grit it can be very tricky to get it to "fit" properly.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I looked at some clips an reviews of it on guitar amps and I was very impressed with it. :yesway: I actually liked it's off axis tone slightly better than the e609 they compared it to.
It's probably my all-time fav mic to mic high gain guitar with. It has a similar character to a 57, but the high-mids don't have a tendency to get brittle and harsh like a 57 can, instead it smooths them out a bit. We tried a ton of mics on the guitar cab the last time I recorded and nothing sounded better than the i5 for a pleasing capture of a good roaring guitar tone.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's probably my all-time fav mic to mic high gain guitar with. It has a similar character to a 57, but the high-mids don't have a tendency to get brittle and harsh like a 57 can, instead it smooths them out a bit. We tried a ton of mics on the guitar cab the last time I recorded and nothing sounded better than the i5 for a pleasing capture of a good roaring guitar tone.
How does it do with clean tones? All the reviews/clips were high gain stuff but i'll be doing a bit of clean tones as well.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So a little change of plans.... still using the room and gear, but i'm not using the Korg mixer because it would just be too time consuming and instead buying one of these:

14 channels, plus MIDI in/out, May be reamping the guitars if I can get a Reamp box in time so I only record 2 tracks instead of 4 for my rhythms, and just change the tone of the other two. Drums and Bass will be tracked together, but guitars will be all done first to a click and drum machine (that I already have programed) and everything will be sent via FTP for mixing. :yesway: If the tascam gets here in time i'll be recording guitar tracks Saturday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts