Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or rather my girlfriend just found out she has it. I've been with her for a little under 3 months, and it takes about 3-8 months for signs to show up. It's not from me, but but from one of her earlier bf's, still not exactly sure who. Never thought this would happen to me blah blah blah I'm not a slut, I haven't been physical with many women.

Anyway, luckily it's not the super bad kind. It's barely noticeable on her, and that shit's already being removed. Doctor says as long as we quit smoking and live healthy lives the body should take care of it pretty fast and we'll never hear from it again.

We have a very healthy relationship, so we don't plan on leaving each other any time soon, especially if we both have an STD. But damn.

Anyone have insight on this?

Apparently 80% of the US population will get this at some point in their life.

Condoms can't really prevent HPV since you still make contact with the surrounding skin.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was under the assumption that as long as it wasn't on your tallywhacker, you just get cold sores occaisionally. :yesway: :noway: ?
Most guys get nothing. Rare is genital warts. Super rare is penis cancer. That's right, PENIS FUCKING CANCER.

But that's in the bad strains. We don't have that. Ours is very minor. She had a few bumps. Getting them removed. Most likely never see them again. I'll probably never have anything.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Apparently 80% of the US population will get this at some point in their life.
:scratch: Really? I find that hard to believe. I don't think there is any STD that as much as 80% of the US population will get in their lifetimes.

That does remind me of herpes labialis, which is not an STD, but 80-90% of the entire population will get by the age of 60. I've had herpes labialis since I was about 10 years old. No idea how I got it, but it's one of those viruses that stays in your body for your entire life, no matter what. So I get outbreaks about once a year. The annoying thing is that there are a TON of ignorant people out there that think that all forms of herpes are STDs. So they confuse herpes labialis with herpese genitalis.

Anyway, 80% of the US population getting HPV seems like a pretty big exaggeration, I think.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
:scratch: Really? I find that hard to believe. I don't think there is any STD that as much as 80% of the US population will get in their lifetimes.

That does remind me of herpes labialis, which is not an STD, but 80-90% of the entire population will get by the age of 60. I've had herpes labialis since I was about 10 years old. No idea how I got it, but it's one of those viruses that stays in your body for your entire life, no matter what. So I get outbreaks about once a year. The annoying thing is that there are a TON of ignorant people out there that think that all forms of herpes are STDs. So they confuse herpes labialis with herpese genitalis.

Anyway, 80% of the US population getting HPV seems like a pretty big exaggeration, I think.
I think thats what he was getting herpes simplex and HPV mixed up at the beginning of the thread (as was I).

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I think thats what he was getting herpes simplex and HPV mixed up at the beginning of the thread (as was I).
Probably. And that's a pretty big mistake since HPV is an STD, a genital virus focused on the penis and anus (if a guy) or the vagina and anus (if a girl) that DOES go away, while herpes labialis is not an STD, but is a regular viral infection that never goes away (the term "herpes simplex" refers to pretty much all types of herpes).

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
(the term "herpes simplex" refers to pretty much all types of herpes).
Really? I was always told that Herpes Simplex (HSV) was the regular coldsore kind, and human papillomavirus (HPV) was considered a completely seperate type of herpes?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really? I was always told that Herpes Simplex (HSV) was the regular coldsore kind, and human papillomavirus (HPV) was considered a completely seperate type of herpes?
HPV is simply warts. Pretty much any wart, no matter where on the body, is likely to be HPV.

However, an American college age woman has an 85% chance of getting the STD kind if she has sex with 1 man a year for four years.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
HPV is simply warts. Pretty much any wart, no matter where on the body, is likely to be HPV.
okay, fuck me sideways, I'm getting all my shit mixed up. :lol: This is worse than the 5/4 thread.

im fairly certain about what naren said though, with most people having mouth herpes vs. crotch herpes and the percentages.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Nope. Herpes Labialis (labia meaning "lips" in latin) is the cold sore type, Herpes Genitalis is the sexually transmitted type affecting the genitalia. Herpes Simplex is, like I said, an overarching term for many types of herpes including oral herpes and gential herpes.

HPV is an entirely different virus that is not a type of herpes. All types of herpes fall into the Herpesviridae family of viruses, while HPV falls into the Papillomaviridae family of viruses.

I'm pretty familiar with this specifically because I have herpes labialis and did some research on it.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I'm pretty familiar with this specifically because I have herpes labialis and did some research on it.
I did some research about it a long time ago too, bit apparently, I'm getting that shit mixed up in my head with the crap from warts. :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts