Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joined a gym, that's right next to where I work, so am actually going.

However I think my workout is a bit haphazard, doing 15 minutes cardio, and then generally doing weights for 30 minutes or so after that. Tried two tactics, one of 3x10 reps at a weight, and recently 4 reps going from 10 to 8 to 6 to 4 on increasing weight for each set.

Basically I have bugger all idea what I'm doing. I'd like to build muscle, and you know, slim down a bit.

So, any advice appreciated! Help a reforming couch potato out!

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
If you're doing strength training and cardio on the same day do cardio last, lest your legs be jelly. :lol: I prefer to do weights Mon/Wed/Fri with a run on Tue/Thur/Sat and Sunday as a rest day.

The 3x5 Stronglifts app I found pretty handy when I was looking for a proper regime, the website is pretty helpful too: StrongLifts: Simple, Effective Strength and Muscle Building

For cardio, get outside. Treadmills are fucking dull. Try the couch to 5k/10k things if you're a complete novice. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
If you want to get bigger you can do lower reps with higher weight. 5 x 5 set/rep workouts are good for building strength + size and to begin with you will fly up through the weight if you stick to it.

How often are you going? What actual lifts are you doing?

If you are trying to slim down and just get generally fit you might want to can the rep idea entirely and work with light weights and times eg do 25-35% of your max of that lift constantly for 45 seconds or a minute. Set out a circuit of 4 stations with 3 different lifts for a body area at each station and rotate between them. I'd really need to type out a lot to explain it but you probably get the idea.

I've been playing Basketball for our national team my whole adult life so I've always been in good shape but the best shape I have ever been in has been when I was doing circuits built around the principles above last year before a tournament. The workout was only about 45 mins long but I was completely fucked after it every time. Granted I had 2 guys shouting in my face to keep going most of the time and thats a big help :lol: but its worth looking into.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Like Mr. S said, do the cardio after the strength portion. Also, try to find a program that you enjoy that fits into your lifestyle and end goals, whether it be powerlifting/strength or just overall musclebuilding/working out. It's really hard to go through it all in a few posts, but google around and try to find some nutrition/workout plans that you feel you can implement.

Don't ignore the things you hate (i.e front squats, dead lifts, lunges, etc.); I'd actually load up on those first and get them into the program so you become more comfortable. I'm a big fan of complexes because they have a good blend of HIIT/muscle building and endurance, and cardio elements.

Complex Routines for Strength Training | Muscle & Fitness

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I forgot the most important piece of advice: :jaxadam:

Just load up on Monster and then roll into the gym and do anything you want. Exponential gains. Hell, I haven't gone to the gym in years. I just sit around and drink Monster and I'm fully fucking jacked out of my mind bam.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Just load up on Monster and then roll into the gym and do anything you want. Exponential gains.
I misread this as "existential gains." I like it more my way.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Personally, I've always thought weight lifting was kind of for posers. Weightlifting is pretty much male glamour.

If you want to slim down and get muscle definition, do an actual sustained activity that burns calories and works out those muscles that has a point. I run around with weights in each hand because I enjoy running.

Lately, I've been doing construction, which is a lot of heavy lifting, and the dudes who actually lift heavy things in the real world are just wiry and mean looking. I was already jaded on the whole idea, but this confirmed it. Most weight lifters don't actually lift stuff in the real world, they just like looking good. A good 60% of weight lifting is just eating anyways.

That being said, I still love all the Bros here. Manowar. :immortal:

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
A good 60% of weight lifting is just eating anyways.
That's why it rules.

Also because repeatedly picking up heavy things and putting them down again without some immediate, concrete purpose like 'build a house" or "rescue a loved one trapped under a huge rock" is zen as hell.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
holy shit. ignore everyone in this thread. the key is picking a thing, and doing it consistently. you don't need to fool your muscles or confuse anything.

since you're new, go buy/download starting strength or wendlers 5/3/1. if you follow one of those programs you will get the results you want. I suggest starting strength.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
since you're new, go buy/download starting strength or wendlers 5/3/1. if you follow one of those programs you will get the results you want. I suggest starting strength.
:agreed: I got hurt (unrelated to the weightlifting) and then got lazy, but I did starting strength for 9 or 10 months and had a lot of success with it. It's a really solid program.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Lifting in the real world uses more balance muscles than the ones you will target with weightlifting. That's why guys like construction workers end up looking that way. Weight lifting is more about the way you look or sport whether it be just being able to lift heavier eeights or jumping higher, throwing a ball further etc.

·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is your diet like?
My diet isn't amazing, but, on the other hand through ageing I've developed intolerances to wheat (possibly gluten in general, or yeast, can never figure it out, in any case, I feel much better avaoiding it) and in a stroke of "amazing luck" possibly dairy as well. Eating them doesn't kill me, but ti does do bad shit like lethargy, instant sellp, bloating, really fucked up heartburn etc.

So those two things have conspired to make it virtually impossible to buy too much crap food. Thankfully.

Excercise wise, I am limited due to pretty dodgy knees containing mutated ligaments (loads of fun) which means rowing, running, cycling, stair climbing and to a certain degree swimming all have to be done extremely lightly or not at all as overstretching the ligament i have extra causes inability to walk properly for a while. Cross trainers don't suffer me almost at all, partially as I think there's very little knee bending involved.

Weights, that 5/3/1 looks kind of col, I just want more actual strength and a bit of bulk, I actually enjoy lifting heavy things as a personal goal. Again, I am not sure about squats or any kind of massive strain on my knees, as the ligaments, they don't like, i've done weights with the legs, but at a certain point I can feel the ligament way before the muscle, and it kind of stops that dead in it's tracks. Just building up strength won't help, as it's actually a mutant ligament that attaches my knee cap to my knee that apparently shouldn't be there or some shit... So I am not sure if that 5/3/1 can be done with avoiding the stuff that involves legs...

Hopefully this makes someextra sense!

I am really thankfull for all the advice and ideas so far as well, cheers guys!

·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lifting in the real world uses more balance muscles than the ones you will target with weightlifting. That's why guys like construction workers end up looking that way. Weight lifting is more about the way you look or sport whether it be just being able to lift heavier eeights or jumping higher, throwing a ball further etc.
isn't that what core muscles are basically a fancy word for?

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Kind of, what I mean is theres a difference between bench pressing an object and bench pressing it up to a position and keeping it there. Eg in the real world you are more likely to pick something up and hold it there. I could easily attach the weight of a cab to each side of a bar and bench press it but ask me to lift a cab up and take it up a few flights of stairs and I'd probably be feeling it because its different muscles you are using.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts