Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and I was completely underwhelmed by the Decatone. Soldano says the drive channel is the same as a SLO, but it sure didn't sound that way to me - it was too buzzy, and had an indistinct lower-midrange that just didn't work for me. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't up to what I think of as Soldano standards. The clean was fine, and the crunch was OK, but common tone controls really limited their usefulness.

The Splawn was a different beast - it has that punchy mid you expect from a Splawn, but was gainier, sort of like the Splawn take on a Bogner Ecstacy. Single channel, so I couldn't use it, anyway, but it's a fine amp for someone looking for that tone.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I really need to play a Splawn sometime. :yesway:

·
Disposable Hero
266 Posts
The Super Comp is just a single channel verison of the Nitro (with a couple different footswitch features). If someone liked the sound and was fine with 2 channels (and a solo boost), the Nitro would get you there.

I had a first production run Nitro that Scott made for me back in the day. I actually liked the Quick Rod a lot better. For my taste, the low end on the Nitro was too hard to tame.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
That Soldano really was a disappointment. I didn't think it was actually possible to have an amp be so dark and dry sounding, yet fizzy at the same time. It was basically lifeless, with a cluttered midrange.

That Splawn was a single coil lovin' blues player's dream, though. It does high gain well, but gets fuzzy when you really push it. The lower gain settings, though, are extremely musical, with this awesome sting up top. I bet it sounds awesome with a Strat or Tele.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

The decatone is useless man, 100%

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Later in the summer, I may actually have a social life again, and just might find enough room in my busy schedule of not recording an album to trek down with some Boston-area craft brew. :D

EDIT - though haven't you been "finishing the basement" almost as long as I've been "recording an album"? :lol:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Later in the summer, I may actually have a social life again, and just might find enough room in my busy schedule of not recording an album to trek down with some Boston-area craft brew. :D

EDIT - though haven't you been "finishing the basement" almost as long as I've been "recording an album"? :lol:
No... last summer we built the deck (950 sq/ft). We were going to do the basement first, but decided to switch that around and do the deck first. We started the basement construction Thanksgiving week.... and I have photographic evidence:

First piece going up:

Most of the walls done (we're farther along now, but this is the most recent uploaded photo):

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I see some potential synergy here. Matt needs to finish the basement so Drew can come down there and record his album. Win-win!! :lol:

BTW, I've considered snagging a Soldano SP77 to go with my rack setup, but the reviews are decidedly mixed. Any personal experience with them here? And the X88R and X99 are outside my budget. I'd go for a Bogner Fish or a CAE 3+ if I was going to spend that kind of dosh, anyway.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Aw, shit. I really am the biggest procrastinator here, aren't i? :(

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
R0005 has been sitting at Dave's since before they recorded, you can always stop by there to check it out till I reclaim it. I think Dave is hoping I will die so he can just keep it knowing my wife knows nothing about my guitar equipment! LOL

I have had two slo's, I had head version with all the mod's and I have had a stock rackmount version. I loved both amps for what they do but at the time was not my style of music anymore. I wish I still had them though now, but not an amp I would give a left nut for.

I would love to hear that amp.

I've literally wanted an SLO for 15 years, so at some point I am just going to buy one, since R0005 is not in my budget :)

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Actually, he has already played through R0005, and you took it back a couple months ago.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Aw, shit. I really am the biggest procrastinator here, aren't i? :(
Hey, don't worry about it. I spent about a decade and a half not getting shit done in the studio. What woke me up was reaching my late thirties and realizing that I didn't have much of a body of work to show for all the time and money I had invested in playing.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
They are great amps and if i wanted that hot rodded marshall would be my amp of choice. But I compared my JCM800 2203 with KT88's against the quick rod and in tone the 2203 crushed it. However if you cant compare side by side then i would say you wouldnt know much of a difference.

I made that mistake once. Everything else just kinda sucks now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts