Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Maybe you should start with some Bonnamassa? :lol:

I learned the main theme to CoD but that chicken pickin' riff in the intro kills me everytime.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
That little flurry of notes at about 1:30 kills me. Every note is cleanly picked with beautiful phrasing and proportion. No girly-man sweep picking for Mr. EJ. :flex:

I've never actually tried to learn any of his stuff, though he was such a huge influence on me back in the day that I unconsciously absorbed some of that style. Other than his chord stretches and hybrid picking, he doesn't do anything very particularly unusual the way Jeff Beck does. It's just that EJ executes everything so perfectly and with such a strong guitar voice.

He also must have been woodshedding like a motherfucker in the mid-to-late '80s. There are now two EJ Austin City Limits broadcasts that have been released. This one from '88, and his first one in '84, a few months before Tones came out. He was great in '84, but his playing jumped by leaps and bounds in the '88 show. It probably helps that he had a better band in '88. He was still trying to do more of the pop thing in '84, which you can hear on Tones. By '88, I think the emergence of Vai and Satch had helped steer him in a more guitar-oriented direction.

·
Registered
46 Posts
EJ's tone is like the fantastic bright blue sky on a perfect summer's day.

With his technique (and that of other guys like Vai and so on) I always get the feeling they're playing exactly the notes they want to play. Not some notes or patterns near that they want to play that their fingers can manage, but the exact notes in the position they want to play them.

Guitar playing at its best :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.