Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaning towards Monster's Turbine.

They have pretty awesome reviews BUT I do not like how they never list their dynamic range, as I like to know these sorts of things.

I'm also looking at JVC's Black Series.

As they look like they have some hot features. For example, carbon casing and driver-in-ear design.

I'm not trying to buy a $600 headset, nor am I looking for 4-100,000 response. I just want some solid, good-sounding in-ears. And I do want the best for my money in the $100 or less range. Any tips, suggestions, advice on what to look for other than dynamic range?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I forget what I paid for them, and they're nowhere near the quality you're looking for, but I love my Skullcandy buds. They're super comfortable, and even with my fat ass on the treadmill, they never fall out. :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Skullcandy stuff is amazing. I used to use the cheap and nasty £14 sets because I could buy a years worth with what I spent on my Shure's that were stolen. Totally underrated, and yet they sound awesome. Skullcandy all the way :yesway:

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Skullcandy? Don't do it, man! Check these reviews first:

Multi-IEM Review - 150 IEMs compared (JVC HA-FX700, FAD FI-BA-SS, 1964-T added 02/27) - Head-Fi.org Community

The Monster Turbines are very good, but are a bit overpriced.

I have the Apple In-Ear Monitors, which are a great value in dual-driver buds. They have a lot of clarity, but are a bit anemic in the low end, especially compared to the Turbines.

If you want to go dynamic the Head Direct RE0's get amazing reviews and are half the price of the Turbines.

Good luck.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
DO NOT get V-Moda earbuds. Sound quality, aesthetics and ergonomics were absolutely top notch, but they were brittle and cheaply constructed. Two pairs fell apart within the one year warranty ($100 buds) and the third pair lasted a couple months past that mark so I was out of luck.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Skullcandy? Don't do it, man! Check these reviews first:

Multi-IEM Review - 150 IEMs compared (JVC HA-FX700, FAD FI-BA-SS, 1964-T added 02/27) - Head-Fi.org Community

The Monster Turbines are very good, but are a bit overpriced.

I have the Apple In-Ear Monitors, which are a great value in dual-driver buds. They have a lot of clarity, but are a bit anemic in the low end, especially compared to the Turbines.

If you want to go dynamic the Head Direct RE0's get amazing reviews and are half the price of the Turbines.

Good luck.
This, sir, was a huge help and great resource! Thx a million man.

And to Stits and Chris, I think if I was just looking for a cheap knock-around pair, I might entertain Skullcandies. But, as I actually enjoy listening to music, I must keep looking past them :lol:

Do any of you guys know why companies boast the dynamic range of their earbuds-and even tier their pricing based on it-when it seems the human ear can only hear 20-20,000hz? Am I missing something here?

DO NOT get V-Moda earbuds. Sound quality, aesthetics and ergonomics were absolutely top notch, but they were brittle and cheaply constructed. Two pairs fell apart within the one year warranty ($100 buds) and the third pair lasted a couple months past that mark so I was out of luck.
Yeah man, I used to sell Vmodas at Best Buy back in the day. They got returned more often than not :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
They like to demonstrate the frequency response of a system, usually spec'ing it to the extremes at which the response is down 3 dB, regardless of whether it mates with human hearing limits. It is certainly a marketing thing, and if you think that a 3 mm driver or whatever is in most earbuds is going to produce a reliable 40 Hz signal, let alone a 20 Hz signal, let alone a 4 Hz signal, you're high. :lol: Just forget about it. :yesway:

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
frequency response is just marketing material to suck in people who don't know any better, don't pay much attention to it

·
Read Only
10 Posts
And to Stits and Chris, I think if I was just looking for a cheap knock-around pair, I might entertain Skullcandies. But, as I actually enjoy listening to music, I must keep looking past them :lol:
We had this debate on ss.org ages ago - I think it was myself and a few other people vs Aaron and a few other people. But, I'll throw it out there again -

Why not go with a high end set of over-ear headphones?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Frequency specs are generally bullshit; even the graphs themselves are often smoothed to the marketer's specs rather than the engineer's.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
The Boss in ear's are really good.
Really? I thought they sounded like garbage. They had SPECTACULAR bass response. Unfortunately, they didn't have anything else, so all I heard was a muffled mess. I went out and immediately bought the Shure earbuds (that were the same price, $99) and they blew the Boss ones out of the water. I've had then for ~3 years now, and have not regretted the money spent on them.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Really? I thought they sounded like garbage. They had SPECTACULAR bass response. Unfortunately, they didn't have anything else, so all I heard was a muffled mess. I went out and immediately bought the Shure earbuds (that were the same price, $99) and they blew the Boss ones out of the water. I've had then for ~3 years now, and have not regretted the money spent on them.
Exact opposite experience here :lol:

What pair of Shure's did you get?

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, thanks for the clarification on dynamic range dudes! I feel like a noob after doing all this IEM research.

We had this debate on ss.org ages ago - I think it was myself and a few other people vs Aaron and a few other people. But, I'll throw it out there again -

Why not go with a high end set of over-ear headphones?
I have a nice over-ear pair of Audio-Technica monitors, but they're just a little bulky to bring with me everywhere. And their VERY clear and uncolored. Whereas what I'm looking for is something more ...dynamic? I don't know exactly how to word it. I'm on vacation right now in Colorado and I'm realizing the value of a nice compact set of buds after purchasing a 3.99 pair of shitty Maxwells from the grocery store three hours before my flight :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts