·
Bored of boredom
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really haven't a clue what I'm doing; this will be my first build ever:metal:
Any advice would be much appreciated :D

specs:
walnut neck thru
bloodwood fb 24 frets (25 if you count the 0 ;))
Limba wings
ash top
some random tuners
1 emg tw pup
2 cheap six string bridges chopped into an 8 string bridge :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Eyes will offer better resolution but would require some sort of synthetic/biological integration. Cameras may be easier, but the mass of all those batteries and circuits may be cumbersome.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Personally, I would've left the body blanks blank until after they had been attached to the guitar - you're going to have a hell of a time aligning them!

·
Bored of boredom
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm actually gonna route the center down and put a top on it all(not that its relevant:ugh:)
The wings, I haven't figured out where I want them, which is why the last pic showed where the access would be limited.

·
Bored of boredom
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As Simon said, it would've been better attaching the wings before they were shaped, then you could have assured 100% perfect alignment when you cut the shape out.

I'd recommend buying a book, this one in particular is excellent. I have it myself and it covers everything you need to know clearly.
I actually have that exact book!:metal:

unfortunately I've since then left if at my father's house, I'll have to pick it up soon and find answers:ugh:

How would you guys go about measuring slots for a 1 piece string tee(guide)? <i'm planning on a 0 fret>

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I actually have that exact book!:metal:

unfortunately I've since then left if at my father's house, I'll have to pick it up soon and find answers:ugh:

How would you guys go about measuring slots for a 1 piece string tee(guide)? <i'm planning on a 0 fret>
How do you mean? If you are using a zero fret it's probably still easiest to use a nut as most makers do, and then run the strings from the nut over the 0 fret. I.e, place 0 fret where the nut should be. This means the nut can still sit as a guide for the strings as they pass over the (slippy) metal, as opposed to just slipping around like they would if you were just using string trees.

·
Mr. Oni Guitars
1,366 Posts
With the wings, you can use locating dowels when gluing. 2 per wing will do it, just drill for them somewhere they have no chance of being exposed later, then align and mark the matching drill location using centre points like these - Haron Dowel Centre Points : CARBA-TEC

Why are you planning on a zero fret?

·
Bored of boredom
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the wings, you can use locating dowels when gluing. 2 per wing will do it, just drill for them somewhere they have no chance of being exposed later, then align and mark the matching drill location using centre points like these - Haron Dowel Centre Points : CARBA-TEC

Why are you planning on a zero fret?
I actually got the idea from seeing Tom Drinkwater's erg's, I don't have nut files, so I figured just holding the strings in the right spot next to the 0 fret would help me with this problem, I honestly can't justify buying $80 worth of nut files for possibly the only build I'll be able to do within these coming years :[
Thank you for the dowel tip Dan! I'll have to figure out where I want the wings before I try that though :eek:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Youll still need to file the nut to hold the strings in place dude :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
:lol: This. So much this. Also, $80 isn't much - you'd do better to invest in them, do the guitar up, and if you honestly can't use them, sell them on. Better to do the guitar once and well than spend the next four years fixing things you skimped out on in a rush.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Pre slotted nuts still rarely are slotted enough to hold a string properly

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
If you are "trying to make a guitar see", I would suggest adding googly eyes :yesway:
YOU'RE FOUR DAYS LATE, PIGSHIT :squint:

Eyes will offer better resolution but would require some sort of synthetic/biological integration. Cameras may be easier, but the mass of all those batteries and circuits may be cumbersome.

·
Bored of boredom
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

measure twice, cut once

The idea is to actually have something to hold the strings like a nut would, but function like a string tee at the same time, to hold the strings down. I'm going to recess the headstock instead of angling it (I wouldn't know where to start unless I picked up my book from my dad's..which is a no go)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts