Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since April 2013, I decided to take a sabbatical and quit music to sort some personal matters. That took over a year...

...eventually the hunger to play music came back again. Sometime last year, I rejoined my psychedelic prog band, played in a jazz trio and did some session work with an alt/country/folk singer. All were vital to rebuild my playing confidence again.

Then I decided to revisit a bunch of instrumental songs I've written over the last 10 years. I thought now was finally the time to record and release them. So mid July, I got the ball rolling and finally finished my demos, then spent the rest of the year on pre-production and a ton of gear hauling.

Come January, I walked into the studio (and took lots of pics):

9 days. 9 work intensive but very fun days.

With the exception of drums, taiko drums, a few gang chants, I played all the instruments, and programmed a few others. And since my jazz trio weren't gonna be in Melbourne for long, I decided that they join in too.

I'm currently in the post production process, so there's still a lot to do (editing, re-effecting, sfx, additional necessary overdubs) before the mixing stages.

Getting this project off the ground has been the most liberating feeling I've had in a long time.

TL/DR: Following the current 2015 trend that Drew and Vince have done, I'm releasing a solo album later this year. Around June-July at the earliest. :drew: :vince:

EDIT: I guess it's time that I update the above statement... because of the post production delays, I'm releasing the full album at April 1st 2016.

EDIT 2: Yes April 1st is the release date. No joke. Seriously.

So far, here are some songs:

https://soundcloud.com/johnny-glovasa/as-the-wanderer-follows-the-light

https://soundcloud.com/johnny-glovasa/fuse

https://soundcloud.com/johnny-glovasa/battle-in-the-clouds

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Yes, read the thread :lol:

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet! Photos look intriguing! Have you got any demos yet?
I do, but they sound so bad I'm too embarrassed to share them. :lol: Especially in this day and age where even demos sound so pristine and polished... :ugh:

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
:metal: Wicked guitar collection by the way and the pedals HOLY SHIT how many do you have now?

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Cheers everyone! :cheers:

Hell yes dude!

Also, you started a band with Asian (or Philippino?) Ryan. :ryan:
:lol: Asian Ryan just happened to be available at the time and lives close to the studio.

And funny enough, he's a good player himself.

:metal: Wicked guitar collection by the way and the pedals HOLY SHIT how many do you have now?
Yeah the collection is a bit out of hand eh? :lol: I believe I have about 53 right now... I will say that a lot the gear was specifically chosen for this recording.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I see a poison pumpkin RG, but I do not see a Xiphos. Have you finally come to terms with the fact that the Xiphos is an ugly abomination? :lol:

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What are you doing on your sabbatical, if you don't mind me asking?
I had to sort out some private family matters. It was something that reached boiling point and needed to be addressed. I didn't want to give up the touring life, but I knew that without the help of my loved ones, I couldn't achieve what I had. So I reluctantly quit my band and took the year off.

And admittedly, as much as I enjoyed that life, it did take a toll on me mentally, physically and financially. The year off music was also a good time to recover.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I had to sort out some private family matters. It was something that reached boiling point and needed to be addressed. I didn't want to give up the touring life, but I knew that without the help of my loved ones, I couldn't achieve what I had. So I reluctantly quit my band and took the year off.

And admittedly, as much as I enjoyed that life, it did take a toll on me mentally, physically and financially. The year off music was also a good time to recover.
Gotcha. Sounds like fun, though. :yesway:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
None of the pics show up for me anymore :(

also I wish I had dedication to get the chops to join a jazz or country band...

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
None of the pics show up for me anymore :(

also I wish I had dedication to get the chops to join a jazz or country band...
It would seem facebook doesn't seem to last when I hotlink my pics...

And as for dedication... that came out of necessity from joining the job head on and asking questions later. From not playing music at all to jumping on jazz or country gigs cold, I was just hungry to play music. Jazz, I had some experience from my longtime guitar teacher, but country was a new thing altogether. The chops eventually came later.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts