Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've decided I want a tube amp rather than going digital.

I'm having trouble deciding what to get. (I can feel my wallet starting to burn already :ugh:)

I'm thinking either; Orange rockerverb 100 mkii, EVH 5150 III HD or wait for a Randall Thrasher...

I have a Maxon OD808 for a booster to get blistering gain tones already.

I want the amp to have a nice clean channel and a heart wrenching high gain channel also...

What are your thoughts and recommendations on these amps and what I want from them? Also if you know of a better suited amp I'm all ears.

Thanks for your input in advance:metal:

Cheers

Steve

·
not that good.
64 Posts
The 5150 III and orange are both tube amps. That's where the similarities end. Totally different sounds.. I love both. For metal the EVH is probably better. Anyone who seems to use one falls in love with them... Loomis is actually using one now I believe. I love my Egnater+Green Rhino, it sounds so damn mean.

Orange amps are more used for stoner/doom metal. Also there's always the ENGL thunder 50

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
As good sounding and versatile as the 5150III sounds, I still think the raw, visceral attack of the original will always be the quintessential 5150 sound.

·
Registered
43 Posts
5150 III and no boost.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
My preference is the EVH over a Peavey version of the 5150 (although both are awesome, the EVH is my kind of awesome).

There's a multitude of amps you could look at. You say to suggest what would be better suited, but better suited to what? If you played old school death metal you could be better off with a Marshall 8100 or Ampeg VH140C than a lot of tube amps. If you play doom, the Orange or Sovteks would be much better than a 5150 variant for the style. If you plan to play thrash, you might be better off with an old JCM800 boosted.

Give us an idea of the type of tone you are after, and we'll work from there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beethoven, slayer, slipknot, fear factory, parkway drive, canibal corpse, tool, nirvana, cradle of filth, stevie ray vaugn, hendrix, pantera, lamb of god, korn (old stuff), black sabath, metallica, manson, white zombie, rob zombie, a perfect circle, megadeath, ratm, just to name a few.. my 7 Is tuned drop A, my 6's are drop B, D and just a stardard E.

The EVH looks the goods I'm thinking. Would the 50w version be enough to run 2 4x12 8ohm mono. Cabs or would the 100w be a better option?

Cheers for your help!

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Any reason why you would want 2 4x12 mono cabs? Just out of interest, mainly as a single 2x12 can be enough (and sometimes too much) for some venues.

However it should be enough to do both if you're set on that. It has two speaker jacks and I believe it has switchable ohmage (double check the manual, or check with James, Shannon and PirateMetalTroy on here who all own one)

·
Registered
45 Posts
seems like you need a versatile amp to cover all your needs. Not sure what the budget is and i have no clue how versatile a 5150 is, since i never owned one. But i own a amp which can provide you with everything you'll need for sure: My beloved Mesa Mark V. That thing is a monster and you really can play anything stylistically... but yeah, not the cheapest option probably.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any reason why you would want 2 4x12 mono cabs? Just out of interest, mainly as a single 2x12 can be enough (and sometimes too much) for some venues.

However it should be enough to do both if you're set on that. It has two speaker jacks and I believe it has switchable ohmage (double check the manual, or check with James, Shannon and PirateMetalTroy on here who all own one)
The main reason I have 2 4x12 cabs is better sound and clarity. To me it sounds
fuller. Plus when you really crank it, it sounds incredible. Plus where I live the neighbours can't hear it anyway. More speakers more definition (well that's what I think anyway... I could be wrong. Have been before)

The Mesa is an option. They are pricey. Do they get that fizz lots of people talk about? I only want one amp to do the lot. The clips I've seen on the 5150iii seem like they have good range. Great clean channel, nice crunch channel and a blistering modern channel. I'm also looking at getting a 31 band rack mount eq dbx131s $100 to my door so even that should help with tones I'm thinking? I still don't know though... Is there any difference between the 50w and 100w apart from the obvious.

Cheers heaps for all your input!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Forgot to ask... We're you talking about the 50w or 100w?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
50 watt, I personally prefer it to the 100 watt (with the bits about power tube saturation and also useful features like MIDI and the like)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
If you are on a budget, grab a 6505+ now, and continue to shop for another amp if you'd like to spend more later on.

If you want to run 2x 8ohm cabs, grab yourself (or make yourself) a little series box to make a 16ohm circuit, and run it from your 16ohm jack.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I only want one amp to do the lot.
If you need one amp which does a lot i only can recommend a Mark V again. Pricey yes, no fizz though. I think the fizz-issues people talk about are mostly with Rectifier-Mesas, different machine.
I run mine through a 2x12 cab by the way and it sounds awesome. An Engl 2x12 that is with two V30s. Enough to crush your ears, believe me! And still defined, transparent and ballsy at the same time...

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
If you really play that amount of stuff, I'd also suggest a Mark V. It not really fizzy either since you can change the wattage for different room sizes, venues, and practice time, and the channel and control it has basically means you can go everywhere from super clean fender country to ultra high-gain metal at the flick of a switch or two, which sounds like it would be necessary for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This might be a dated amp, but, I have had great experiences with old Crate Blue Voodoo's, and you can usually pick them up pretty cheaply ($300 +/- 50). saving enough money for topshelf tubes. My only minor complaint would be response time, so if your doing a lot of starts and stops in the middle of a song, you're liable to put your foot though it in fustration.

On the expensive side, I have a Engl Powerball with a Vader 412 cab. that combo is so freaking powerful that it will break up kidney stones....but, not extra sweet on the clean channel

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you really play that amount of stuff, I'd also suggest a Mark V. It not really fizzy either since you can change the wattage for different room sizes, venues, and practice time, and the channel and control it has basically means you can go everywhere from super clean fender country to ultra high-gain metal at the flick of a switch or two, which sounds like it would be necessary for you.
I just had another look online for Mark V's, cheapest price in the state's is $2100.00. I could get away with that just... Only problem is no online store in the states will ship them to Australia?? Cheapest price in Aus i found was $4900.00 plus shipping :facemelt: which is just highway robbery!!! And that's just for the head!!! Why won't the US stores ship to Aus??? :scratch:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking at the specs of the evh 100w and the peavey 6505+, is there any difference in sound? They look (spec wise) the same amp except a few extra watts for the peavey?

Also, does anyone know a store in the states that will ship mesa o/s?

Cheers heaps all!

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Looking at the specs of the evh 100w and the peavey 6505+, is there any difference in sound? They look (spec wise) the same amp except a few extra watts for the peavey?

Also, does anyone know a store in the states that will ship mesa o/s?

Cheers heaps all!
They are very different amps. A Mesa Dual Rec and a 6505 look not too dissimilar on spec sheets, but would you think they'd sound the same?

Unfortunately I don't know about anyone who will ship.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts