Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)darren:phone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well, you have to remember that in 1994, very few people outside of academia knew what the Internet was, and the Web was still in it's infancy.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh totally. I remember my first experience with the internet was downloading Doom off compuserve on a 2400 or 2600 baud modem. Took all friggin' night :lol:

But at 4 am, when I loaded up the game, oh man, I'd never seen anything like it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I was a BBS geek long before 1994, but 1994-5 was the first time I was ever really using "the web" on a regular basis. Shit services like AOL aside.

The first nailed-up internet connection I ever used was at college, and I immediately downloaded and printed out about 34823947 pages of tablature in the college lab. :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I can't believe Olga is still around after how long they've been down.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Mine was using the Tallahassee Freenet at the library, around 1995. We then got a sweet ass modem and a Freenet account to dial in from home. :lol: I remember netscape 2.1... Those were the days!

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
This was the first thing I remember really using to communicate with some other people around the country, but I don't really think it was considered "the internet".

Then I took a long, long break and then I don't really remember when I started using it again.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I can't believe Olga is still around after how long they've been down.
I didnt start using Olga until around 2001. :lol: I went to powertab around 2002-3ish. Never used OLGA after that. Then i went to MySongBook.com when GuitarPro started sucking less.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Okay, i'm really dating myself here, but here's the first WIRED issue i bought... WIRED 1.3 from July/August 1993. CD-ROM-based interactive multimedia was the big buzz, but tucked into the "Electric Word" opening section of the magazine was this brief little piece about this revolutionary "hypertext" system developed by Tim Berners-Lee at CERN in Switzerland.

I find it funny that they were really pushing the "W3" abbreviation, which never stuck. It just became "the Web".

A little bit of history, that is!

I still remember seeing the first version of Mosaic that could handle graphics in early 1994. That was a bit of a watershed moment for me as a design student.

That fall i got on Mac BBSes, and got my first email address on the university's VM system, which i could only access via green-screen terminals available in certain offices and facilities on campus.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
1993 or 1994 was when I first started to use the Internet. I remember playing games over IPX networks in 1994, 1995, and 1996. But I do remember that there were a ton of people who didn't even know about the Internet until 96 or 97, so I guess that TV show shouldn't be THAT surprising. I mean, even the @ symbol on there looks odd. It's an a in a circle.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I used the Internet back then, we had just moved from BBS's to full-on Internet. Hell, I ran Opera when it was the only browser you could really run on a 386 :lol:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I *think* I first started using the net around 1995 or 1996, but I can't remember for sure. Might have been a little earlier. I was certainly regularly playing Doom on my friend's BNC network then.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I remember using a computer at the library in 1997 to play sweet ass games. I was 6! Then in 2nd or 3rd grade we would go to alfy.com and play more sweet games. Also, a roommate of ours had Descent for PC and we played that like crazy at home. I swear 1999-2000 was when I first started using the internets.

·
18,790 Posts
I started using the internet regularly in high school (1999-ish) but didn't get internet at home until early 2000. I signed up for hotmail as the first thing I did, and still have the same e-mail address as my primary :lol: But my first ever exposure to the internet was my friend's AOL connection and Netscape browser back in...1996? 1997? I remember because I had a video game magazine that was hyping how groundbreaking Virtua Fighter 3 was going to be, and we all still thought the Sega Saturn was kind of cool :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts