Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I was pretty happy when the music store down the street from our rehearsal space recently became a Jackson dealer.

So, last night, we stop there to get strings, and their Jacksons have turned up. I played one of these (SLAT3-6, made in Japan):

Only they now come with neck and headstock binding. I have to say, I was pretty impressed - the guitar was pretty close to Dave's Soloist Pro in terms of feel, sound and quality. Maybe Jackson's Japanese production issues are behind them? This was light years better than ANY SL3 or SL4 I've ever played.

Which is good, since I have a SLAT3-7 coming in this color. :yesway:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
FWIW, all of the SLSMGs (although I had all the preactive models, I've played a couple active ones that weren't as good) I used to have were on par with USAs once you made a few important upgrades (IMO). The only you thing you can't switch out easily that is shitty is the MOTO inlays. :lol: A lot of the lower end MIJ's aren't terribly inspiring, though they are of course still perfectly servicable and often great playing guitars. The DK2Ms are pretty cool too if you find a good one (which I might be doing this weekend, looks like a GC might have a white one for under $300). Are these an SLSMG carve (lower half thicker) or slightly different? As a general rule though, IMO, the ebony boarded/higher end imports are all pretty solid. Although some have shitty hardware. :lol:

Which finish did you get?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
FWIW, all of the SLSMGs (although I had all the preactive models, I've played a couple active ones that weren't as good) I used to have were on par with USAs once you made a few important upgrades (IMO). The only you thing you can't switch out easily that is shitty is the MOTO inlays. :lol: A lot of the lower end MIJ's aren't terribly inspiring, though they are of course still perfectly servicable and often great playing guitars. The DK2Ms are pretty cool too if you find a good one (which I might be doing this weekend, looks like a GC might have a white one for under $300). Are these an SLSMG carve (lower half thicker) or slightly different? As a general rule though, IMO, the ebony boarded/higher end imports are all pretty solid. Although some have shitty hardware. :lol:
Have you ever played a USA SLS? They shit all over the import version. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Have you ever played a USA SLS? They shit all over the import version. :lol:
In what way?

Honestly I should have clarified better. I felt like once I replaced everything (all the hardware/tuners/wiring/pickups/etc.) it was as good as is Jackson did a MIA run of the same guitar (well except for the MOTO inlays :lol:) The fretwork isn't quite as precise as USA but it was on par with most other mid-high end guitars. The binding/frets/sound/resonance/playability are all really good in my book.

No, I haven't played a USA SLS (although I've played a couple SLATs if thats what you mean, not quite the same thing, I know some of you guys are irate about jackson using the SLS classification on the SLSMG. But if you mean the ones with SLS headstocks, then no.), I was comparing the overall quality to other USA production Jakcsons. Most of the SLSMGs I've had sounded and played awesome though, on par with USAs in that regard, although obviously there isn't a current production model using the same woods what I mean is they sound every bit as "pro", well to my ears anyways. The mahogany that was in mine sounded/resonated a lot better than comparably priced schecters/ltds. I personally liked it better than a lot of ESPs too.

Coming to think of it, I don't remember why I sold it. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Since you have the Mother of All Seven-String Soloists, I'll be curious to see how you think the SLAT3-7 compares.

Does Foxes still have any of their Heritages in stock? They don't list themselves as a dealer anymore on their web site. Their guitar guy was really hot on Heritage when I went there and had a bunch of them in stock, but maybe they didn't sell to his expectations. They had a beautiful white 3-pickup Heritage 157 that I wish I'd grabbed. It had a '60s neck profile, which was the main reason I didn't (well, that and $$$).

Do they have any USA Jacksons in stock? Not that I need any encouragement, frankly. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since you have the Mother of All Seven-String Soloists, I'll be curious to see how you think the SLAT3-7 compares.
Me too. I suspect I know the answer already. :lol:

Does Foxes still have any of their Heritages in stock? They don't list themselves as a dealer anymore on their web site. Their guitar guy was really hot on Heritage when I went there and had a bunch of them in stock, but maybe they didn't sell to his expectations. They had a beautiful white 3-pickup Heritage 157 that I wish I'd grabbed. It had a '60s neck profile, which was the main reason I didn't (well, that and $$$).
They have a shitload of Heritages, including an all-Korina Paul Jr. style (I can't remember their model numbers :lol: ) with P-90s that is awesome, but it also has half a Louisville Slugger for a neck.

Do they have any USA Jacksons in stock? Not that I need any encouragement, frankly. :lol:
Not yet. They want to see how the imports do first, which is reasonable. They do actually have a SLAT3-7, though it wasn't out when I was there. :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts