Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(

He's not had the best luck with health lately. Losing Steve would be a big blow to the tech world. The long haired bearded hippie who decided that computers should be easy to use and in homes, the guy who formed the company that brought the Personal Computer to the masses. Under his dictatorship Apple has created some amazing products and has supplied some much needed competition against the IBM/Microsoft world. I'll certainly miss him when he goes.

So let's speculate a bit. Will Apple thrive without him? Will the quality of products drop? Will Apple's atmosphere open up a bit?

This thread is NOT for tech shit-slinging, and NOT for a bunch of anti-Apple rants. No one, not even Bill Gates, can deny what Steve Jobs brought to consumer tech world.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
OS/2

In all seriousness, I hope he pulls through.

Only time will tell if his absence will affect Apple in anyway. People hold him to all the ideas, but I'm sure there are teams of engineers behind all he's done. But the question will be, will others see it that way?

Jobs is a tough cookie, i'm sure he'll make it through this. No need for Dean to start offering pre-orders on the iML

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OS/2

In all seriousness, I hope he pulls through.

Only time will tell if his absence will affect Apple in anyway. People hold him to all the ideas, but I'm sure there are teams of engineers behind all he's done. But the question will be, will others see it that way?

Jobs is a tough cookie, i'm sure he'll make it through this. No need for Dean to start offering pre-orders on the iML
He definitely is not the only idea man in Apple, but he is the guiding hand. I described him in the first post as a dictator. Steve Wozniak could have been called the idea man in the old days, but Jobs knew what was a good idea and what was a bad one, and how to make ideas better, and how to market them, etc.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Transplants are brutal. I don't know what the long-term prognosis is for major-organ transplants, but the anti-rejection drugs are brutal, and leave you susceptible to even the smallest infections.

I hope he pulls through.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I hope Steve will be fine from a human being aspect (something that seems to be really lost on the general tech community worried about their next iPhone/Mac/iPad), however if something bad were to happen, Apple would carry on.

Everything designed in the last few years is Ive. The company is ran by Cook. Jobs does have final say, but he didn't design the iPad or iPhone.

The problem is that Jobs has been the figurehead for so long, it'll certainly have an image aspect that is effected.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Ive has been with the company for a long time too, so he has proven himself. I'm unfamiliar with Cook. And yes, from a human standpoint I really hope that Steve is okay.

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
It's weird that a company as big as Apple relies so much on one single man. At least when you look at the shares, they drop pretty damn much every time he gets sick. I don't think the company will just collapse when he's not around anymore though.

Anyway, hope he gets well soon. Good health is the most important thing in life.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Actually, the last time he was off on medical leave, the share price went up something like 80%. Steve guides the ship, but a lot of other people are responsible for making it sail.

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Actually, the last time he was off on medical leave, the share price went up something like 80%. Steve guides the ship, but a lot of other people are responsible for making it sail.
Haha. Where did you get that from?

The following information are provided by Robert W. Baird & Co.

In 2004, Apple stock declined 2.4 percent on August 2, the day of the announcement. It bottomed out on August 6, having declined 7.9 percent from the time of the*announcement.

In 2009, shares dropped 2.7 percent on January 14, the day of the announcement. By January 20, Apple stock had fallen 10.8 percent before bottoming.
Baird pointed out that Apple shares actually started falling since June 2008 on rumors regarding Jobs' health. Using June 2008 as a reference, Apple lost 60 percent through mid January 2009, although that's roughly in line with the performance of broad stock market.
On January 18 2011, the first day the market was open since Jobs' announcement, Apple shares fell 3.50 percent in morning trading.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I'm talking about the entire period he was gone, not just the day of the announcement or a few days or weeks after. My numbers may be off, as i just heard it in passing while listening to some business analysis on the radio while driving, but here's something i found:

Apple shares could rebound in Jobs's absence - Daily Finance UK

On January 5th, 2009, Jobs again announced he planned to take a medical leave, saying he expected to return in the spring. That news sent Apple shares down 4.2% to $94.58. Shortly afterward, Jobs issued an update that his return would take six months, and Apple fell 2.3% to $83.38 a share that day. But by the end of the six-month period, Apple shares were up 47.8% from their January 5th levels to $142.43, while Nasdaq made a more modest gain of 12.6% to 1,835.04.
Just goes to show you that if an analyst is looking for storm clouds to support their position, they can look at all kinds of numbers out of context. Taking a wider view usually reveals a more accurate picture.

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
I'm talking about the entire period he was gone, not just the day of the announcement or a few days or weeks after. My numbers may be off, as i just heard it in passing while listening to some business analysis on the radio while driving, but here's something i found:

Apple shares could rebound in Jobs's absence - Daily Finance UK

Just goes to show you that if an analyst is looking for storm clouds to support their position, they can look at all kinds of numbers out of context. Taking a wider view usually reveals a more accurate picture.
I still think it's funny that one single person have that much of an impact on a company as big as Apple.

Also, don't post and edit during the site database clean-up. ;)

..?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
MichaelHebo said:
I still think it's funny that one single person have that much of an impact on a company as big as Apple.
That's because there are few business leaders with the passion, the drive and the charisma to achieve the kind of status Jobs has. And few are so intrinsically involved in their company or its products. His singularly focused vision is what pulled Apple back from the brink and vaulted them to where they are today.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Jony Ive rise to the top with a strong right-hand COO to help with running the company.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I enjoy watching Hebo/Macf4n arguments :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.