Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...were, ironically, Groove Tubes 12AX7-Cs from Amazon, by the time I added in shipping. The JJs Mesa sent me needed to come out for sure - dark and lacking gain. I'm pretty disappointed with Mesa for going this way, actually.

So I ordered them, put them in V3 & V4 of the Triple tonight, and the magic is back! The preamp is currently:

V1: TungSol
V2: EH (sounds very nice here, actually)
V3 & V4: GT12AX7-C
V5: TungSol

:yesway:

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
i have 3x 1 year old Groove Tubes in my bass pre amp, too much gain for me, that or I just don't like them, I"m on the hunt for something more rich and less gainy. I don't think I'd ever get into tube rolling, but I'm sure you can get some cool sounds out of a pre doing it.

so hows it sound?

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I'm wondering what to put in my preamp section myself.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
i have 3x 1 year old Groove Tubes in my bass pre amp, too much gain for me, that or I just don't like them, I"m on the hunt for something more rich and less gainy. I don't think I'd ever get into tube rolling, but I'm sure you can get some cool sounds out of a pre doing it.

so hows it sound?
Notice he is using it in V3 and V4, which are just extra gain stages. The only requirements from a tube here are not to be dark or muddy. The tone is from the first gain stage, V1, and he has a Tung Sol in that spot.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Notice he is using it in V3 and V4, which are just extra gain stages. The only requirements from a tube here are not to be dark or muddy. The tone is from the first gain stage, V1, and he has a Tung Sol in that spot.
Well, that and they have to NOT FAIL in the cathode follower spots, like the Russian and JJ tubes are prone to do. :lol:

It sounds awesome, actually. Changing the PI tube helped a lot, too, but these have a "smoother" quality to them while still being bright that the JJs just don't have...

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Out of all the guitar amps I've owned, I always end up liking TungSol in V1 and a mix of Sovteks and TungSols in the rest depending on the amp.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Think I'm going to but a Tung Sol in the V1 of my T2. I'm looking to add more character and depth.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
mesa is doing jj's? i thought they were rebranded ruby tubes or something.

Oh, and i really dig the groove tubes. never had a problem, but then again, i always get the german ones

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mesa is doing jj's? i thought they were rebranded ruby tubes or something.
The power tubes are, as the JJs are, in Mesa's words, "not up to our reliability standards". They're using JJ 12AX7s now, though, and the two they sent me to replace my dead cathode followers lack either the Russian or Chinese designation, so they're JJs. They seem to have the 12AX7 reliability up, but I like the tone of the Shugangs a lot better.

Oh, and i really dig the groove tubes. never had a problem, but then again, i always get the german ones
They frequently get a knock as being overpriced, but by the time I paid for shipping the Pentas (which are also rebranded Shugangs) were more expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts