Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Absolutely SLAYS.

Backstory (who cares!): I have a halfstack that I leave up at my Drummer's place that consists of the Supreme 160, a 2101, and an Ampeg 4x12. This is all older gear that I don't give a crap about, and I use it up there because we tend to get a tad tipsy and he lives in a place where you can get a tad tipsy and run your amp with the volume set to airplane-turbine levels until 3 or 4 in the morning. As you can imagine, we get more tipsy, and louder, as the night goes on, and our improv jamming degrades from shreddy power metal to Slayer as the night goes on. :lol:

Anyway, since we both had a bunch of shit to do today, we didn't drink at all last night so I dragged the Recto up there. I live in a duplex with Atrace on the other side. I'm loudish during the day, but always considerate since he's bigger than I am and can come over and punch me in the face at will. :yesway:

Anyway, I thought that I may had blown one of the (black shadow) speakers in the Ampeg about a month ago, since with the S160 about halfway up it starts to sound really unhappy.

Not so with the Roadster. Holy shit, does this amp absolutely destroy. The Ampeg has never sounded so good, and we ended up stopping around Midnight. I wasn't shy with the volume - he has a big kit in a small, bright room and I really wanted to hear my amp ( :D ) so we were some seriously loud metalheads last night. And man, oh man, did the Roadster sound fucking awesome.

Granted, I hit a small snag when I had to call Drew to ask him how to switch channels without the footswitch :drew:, but that little snafu aside, I swear this thing makes me play and write better. It's so articulate, and even with the gain set to ludicrous, there's so much note definition and sustain that I end up throwing in bigger, brighter chord voicings that I wouldn't usually have used with the 2101 simply because I could hear them so well.

I was wrong. I admit it. This amp is fucking fantastic. :metal:

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
It's okay, we all make mistakes in life. But you have seen the light, and all is well.

My mistake was moving to an apartment where I couldn't even plug in my Triple Rectifier. :(

Oh god, I miss playing that thing.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing that always turned me off about tube amps is that (in my experience) you always needed to crank them for them to sound good, and even at the lowest volume setting they'd be too loud for bedroom/nighttime use and practicing. If I'm running scales or working on a technique, I don't want anyone to hear it but me. :lol:

Having a master volume on this in addition to the individual channel volumes is freakin' ace. I've no desire to grab a "real" attenuator because this guy does it just fine.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
One thing that always turned me off about tube amps is that (in my experience) you always needed to crank them for them to sound good, and even at the lowest volume setting they'd be too loud for bedroom/nighttime use and practicing. If I'm running scales or working on a technique, I don't want anyone to hear it but me. :lol:

Having a master volume on this in addition to the individual channel volumes is freakin' ace. I've no desire to grab a "real" attenuator because this guy does it just fine.
Awesome Bro. :yesway:

btw I am thinking of making a run up to New hampshire to buy some fireworks. We should grab lunch or something. :D

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome Bro. :yesway:

btw I am thinking of making a run up to New hampshire to buy some fireworks. We should grab lunch or something. :D
Father's day weekend otherwise I'd be down for some grub. Farting around with my HTPC a bit and then heading out for dinner and a movie with my old man. :wub:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
It's a thing of beauty eh?

For home practice, sometimes I just run it in spongy mode - quieter, ch3 still slays for the "everything" category, and its a good time.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Yeah, the attenuator certainly helps, but I was surprised that I don't actually NEED it with the Roadster. I rarely leave it at anything higher than -8db, and that's mostly just to take the edge off so I can play late at night or early in the morning at almost inaudible levels.

Anyway, I'm just glad you came around. :D

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I rarely use the half-drive on my 2:90 either. You can get pretty quiet with these amps without really sacrificing tone.

and Chris, isn't it fucking awesome opening one of those up real freaking loud and letting it rip? Hell yeah! :vince:

now get a Maxon 808 or a BB preamp to put infront of it for some tightening and it'll be perfect :agreed:

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
I rarely use the half-drive on my 2:90 either. You can get pretty quiet with these amps without really sacrificing tone.

and Chris, isn't it fucking awesome opening one of those up real freaking loud and letting it rip? Hell yeah! :vince:

now get a Maxon 808 or a BB preamp to put infront of it for some tightening and it'll be perfect :agreed:
He already bought a tube screamer and sees zero difference :lol: Nothing he cant get from the presence knob. I think he hadnt tried it with being wide open tho.

Let him chime in so It doesnt look like I am talking for him.

Btw Chris wouldnt be coming down tomorrow. Maybe another weekend. :shrug:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Yep, it is awesome, and nope, I don't need any of that stuff.

The TC Nova has a built in boost that does exactly what the 808 did, and I don't use that either. The Roadster is just awesome all by it's lonesome. :mods:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
If the Nova System's "boost" is anything like the G-System's, it isn't actually a "boost". When you set the boost level, it actually attenuates everything else by that amount, so when you kick in the "boost" it merely sets the output level to 0 dB.

:erk:

I learned this while stepping through a tutorial for setting levels in the G-System to work with an external amp.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the Nova System's "boost" is anything like the G-System's, it isn't actually a "boost". When you set the boost level, it actually attenuates everything else by that amount, so when you kick in the "boost" it merely sets the output level to 0 dB.

:erk:

I learned this while stepping through a tutorial for setting levels in the G-System to work with an external amp.
Not sure if it's the same as the G. I like the way it sounds for leads, and it basically does (to my ear) exactly what the 808 did. The 808 has three knobs. I'm an engineer with a Master's degree. Believe me when I tell you, I tried "all" of the settings on it. I am that smart. :lol:

People need to opine more with their ear, and less with the internet and user guide.

My handy guide to goodness: Click effect. Do you like? Proceed to forge metal. :metal:

Here's the thing (not aimed at Darren). Everyone's ear is different. No matter how many dozens of people tell me that the TS-808 is awesome, it's awesome IN THEIR OPINION. I didn't care for it. If you like it, rock on. I didn't dislike it, I just think that the Roadster is fine without it. That's my roadster, with my guitars, through my cab. Maybe it fits someone else's needs with their setup, and the way they have their amp dialed in. I don't.

Basically, the next person that says 0MGz U N33D T3H TS8o8 4T3h 3R00T4L5!!! is getting Cocknozzled for a year. :lol:

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
I think it's excellent that you're loving your amp. I didn't see the need for a boost or overdrive either. I like that my amp gives me exactly what I want without having to step on one more fucking button. :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Dethphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

And every amp is also different. I'm sure not many people here have first-hand experience with the 2010 Rectifier line, which have more than a few improvements under the hood.

I wasn't really offering an opinion on the Nova's boost. Just offering some insight on how it might function. The boost in the G-System is largely useless the way it's designed.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts