Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I read about this earlier in the week. What were those two dudes thinking? Shut up and cash the damn checks. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read about this earlier in the week. What were those two dudes thinking? Shut up and cash the damn checks. :lol:
There's undoubtedly a lot more to the story than what Schon's lawyer says. Apparently, Steve Perry and Journey's original manager Herbie Herbert were in on this, too.

https://www.iheart.com/content/2020...h-ross-valory-steve-smith-in-journey-lawsuit/

My guess is that Perry, Valory, Smith and Herbert all believe that Schon and Cain are withholding money. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a countersuit.

Wasn't it just a couple years ago that Neal was slinging all kinds of shit online about Jonathan and claiming he was trying to 'steal the band'?

Cain is married to Trump's "spiritual adviser", and Schon is married to a chick who (with her previous husband) had crashed a White House dinner party.

And yet so much of their music since 1978 is so bland!!

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I saw that headline earlier today and laughed for like, two solid minutes.

"A Coup"

I'm just imagining the Coup failing and Neil Schon trying to look all threatening saying,

"IF YOU COME FOR THE KING, YOU BEST NOT MISS"

A successful coup enacted by members of Journey is pathetic enough. A failed coup?

"Coup" implies that paramilitary guys from the Congo and the master tapes for "Don't Stop Believing" were involved.

A bunch of war criminal dudes wearing berets and pointing AK-47s at things just bust into Journey headquarters while Neil Schon is wanking around on a stupid hollowbody PRS and being fitted for a new wig and tie to him a chair and start interrogating him,

And the lead dude is like, "WHERE ARE THE MASTER TAPES FOR WHEELS IN THE SKY"

and Neil Schon is like, "Come real close and I'll tell you...."

and the guy leans in an Neil Schon is like, "All I can tell you is.......I don't know where they'll be tomorrow".

And the mercenary leader dude backhands Neil Schon and Neil Schon is bleeding from his mouth and laughing to himself and yells,

"YOU SON OF A BITCH, I WILL NEVER TELL YOU"

Mercenary dude is like, "IF YOU DON'T TELL US THE PAIN WILL CONTINUE"

Neil Schon starts weekly chuckling and is like, "The odds look pretty bad right now...... for you"

The paramilitary guys are like what the fuck Neil you are tied up in a chair and the guy is like, "NO ONE IS HERE TO SAVE YOU NOW NEIL, THEY HAVE ALL DESERTED YOU, NO ONE IS HERE TO BREAK THE CHAINS THAT BIND YOU. NO ONE EVEN KNOWS WHERE YOU ARE."

Neil resolutely looks him in the eye like the last scene of starship troopers, full of the resolution that even if he dies protecting a legendary catalog of soft rock AOR hits, vengeance for these dudes will be terrible, "That's where you're wrong........someday, love will find me. And when it does......we'll see who's crying now."

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...suddenly, Gregg Rolie and Carlos Santana (smoking a cigarillo) burst into the room, overcome the mercenaries, and hand Neal his long forgotten Les Paul Custom. Thus allowing him to feel the power of the fusion and reclaim his manhood.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
Steven Seagal is definitely playing the part of Neil Schon in the Lifetime Movie of the Week adaptation of this.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
My Lord, this before bed reading is quite rewarding. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
...suddenly, Gregg Rolie and Carlos Santana (smoking a cigarillo) burst into the room, overcome the mercenaries, and hand Neal his long forgotten Les Paul Custom. Thus allowing him to feel the power of the fusion and reclaim his manhood.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, Carlos Santana is honestly probably where he picked up the massive egotism.

Since every Carlos Santana interview is full of gems like, "I do earnestly believe the release of Smooth was the only thing that prevented a second Civil War happening man. It brought people together with lyrics from outside of time and gravity. In fact, people walk up to me and tell me that all the time. Congressmen, Food Network hosts, Eastern spiritualists, The Dali Llama, other Llamas, Nelson Mandela........ one time I was waiting in line at the airport and the pope walked by and he notices me and is like, 'Carlos, the release of Smooth is really the only thing that prevented a civil war from happening'"

Interviewer: "No....."

Santana: "Yes, this really happened man. Blew my mind. It's such an honor to have a song connect with people like that. And after I finish writing the pope an Autograph, I look him in the eyes and say, 'Your holiness, something has been bothering me for a while now, I feel like, around the 7th Grammy I got for Smooth, I had made so many victory speeches at that point, that I forgot to thank god in some of them. I just feel really uneasy about that man. Do you think it's ok?' "

Interviewer: "No Way"

Santana: "Yes man, this really happened. And the pope takes my face in his hands and I feel this like, holy warmth emanating from him man, some real spiritual shit, and he says, 'Carlos, my child. For the release of 7 time Grammy award Winner 'Smooth', God should be the one thanking you' "

Interviewer: "..............."

(30 seconds later)

Interviewer: "..............."

Santana: "Yeah man, I guess what I'm saying is, you know man, Rwanda.....the Berlin Wall.......if I had released Smooth earlier, none of that would have happened. I feel kind guilty about letting all that artistic genius marinate inside of me for so long, when so many people out there were suffering without Smooth. For decades man. Decades spent suffering without Smooth while it was still marinating inside of me."

Interviewer: (awkwardly clears throat and starts to ask another question)

Santana: "Just the other day the UN was meeting and I was in the airport and the king of the UN sees me man and he pulls me aside and is like, 'Carlos, you know, I never got the chance to tell you, for decades we thought Hiroshima and Nagasaki were basically uninhabitable due to residual radiation but we played 'Smooth' there once' and he snaps his fingers man and is like, 'all the radiation was instantly gone'. The area was inhabitable again

Interviewer: "That's.....quite an achievement"

Santana: "In fact, not only was the area inhabitable again man. They found a new species of life there. Nourishing and evolving itself off the residual good vibes of Smooth man. They named it after me."

Interviewer: "That's quite a.....rare honor. What kind of plant or animal was it?"

Santana: "I think it was a frog........or a tree.......I don't remember man. There were like seven species of animal they named after me. I actually had to tell them to stop to give other people a chance of having species named after them."

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Carlos smoked too much dope in the Eighties after he dropped the guru.

Fact remains, though, that Neal wimped out and left the Santana band right as things were getting really interesting. Santana's catalog up to 1982 is better than everything Neal has put out except for the first two Journey albums that nobody bought.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The best part about Santana interviews is how the interviewer always repeats what he just said back to him with stuff like, "That's really something most people would think is impossible, to have a song that..." to see if he wants to walk it back or admit that it wasn't the most judicious use of words or be like "don't print that" when he hears how ridiculous he sounds and instead of picking up on it he just escalates"

"Yeah man, there was a convention of the physics people in town man......and one of them comes up to me and is like, 'Carlos, I used to think e=mc squared was the most important equation of the last couple centuries......but man, then I heard Smooth, taking guitar playing like that and adding it to Rob Thomas's soulful vocals....that is truly the most important equation in history' "

or

"Yeah man, they were going to give it the Nobel prize in every category. Like a clean sweep man. A clean sweep of the Nobel Prize man."

Interviewer: "....."

"And then at the last second man, they just see the video. And they see the rhythm section man, and they flip shit. Like, 'THIS IS CALLED THE NO BELL PRIZE'. They demanded I get rid of the cowbells in my percussionists kit."

Interviewer: ".................really......"

"Yeah, and I tell them I can't do latin percussion without the options of cowbells. And I tell them I'm sorry, but I can't accept that award. Then the next day they just call me up and are like, 'You know what man, Smooth is so great we are changing our name from the Nobel Prize to the Carlos Santana Award For Multi Disciplinary Genius In Latin Groove and Achievements in Human Nature and Sciences", we can't not give you the award, we have to drop our No bell thing, it would be criminal to not publicly recognize the great gift you just gave humanity."

Interviewer: "............and what did you tell them when the Nobel Prize comitte told you they wanted to rename the Nobel Prize the Carlos Santana Award For Multi Disciplinary Genius In Latin Groove and Achievements in Human Nature and Sciences

Santana: "You know man, at that point I just wasn't feeling it anymore"

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:lmao:

·
Read Only
10 Posts

Fact remains, though, that Neal wimped out and left the Santana band right as things were getting really interesting. Santana's catalog up to 1982 is better than everything Neal has put out except for the first two Journey albums that nobody bought.
Weird post. It sounds like you're saying there are good Santana songs.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Weird post. It sounds like you're saying there are good Santana songs.
Caravanserai, Lotus and Borboletta are probably too weird and fusiony for you, but they are amazing.

I'd rather listen to any Santana album (before Supernatural and all the crappy guest singers) than any of the Steve Perry-era Journey ones.

Neal is a monster player, and his work on the first three Journey albums was fantastic (though the third was marred by subpar songwriting). After that, though, there are, like, two or three decent songs per album surrounded by dreck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts