Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, prior warning. This is the hardest commitment to tone you will ever make, because it is gross as fuck, but it's a legitimate technique, and if you want "that tone" you have to do it. I've done it twice before for classical and abandoned it for nastiness, but once you get them to the point where you can file them and get them into the proper shape it's... well, still gross as fuck. I've always found it sounds good on fingerstyle electric bass because you get the click-y attack of pickstyle without having to play such a horribly unnatural way.

Anyways, fingerstyle fingernails, some of you obviously know what they are, refer to this picture of Zakk Wylde with nasty talons if you don't.

http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/fingersnails-front.jpg

Anyways, I always choke up on the pick on electric enough that the interior portion of my index finger nail snaps off. It's not normally a problem, because I keep them trimmed like a sane person. But the times I have grown them out that finger is useless.

Anyone else here had this happen? I know there are recommended supplements to take for strong nails, but I forget what they are. Any sensible tips on how to avoid it? I really don't care to change how I pick on electric, but not having the nail on that finger sucks for tone.

The circled part is gone.

Anyone ever used something like this? Do they work well? It seems like there are a couple options out there that closely mimic a real fingernail instead of feeling like a fingerpick or a thumbpick.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, it's so gross.

But it sounds awesome on bass, and there are still parts of the classical guitar world that don't take you seriously if you don't have them. Old dudes mainly, but they are out there.

Randy Rhoads had classical fingernails plus a disgusting coke nail on his pinky.

The left thumb (no clue what he used that for) and pinky in this picture are so outrageous. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, any advice on how to pull off this look without looking like a total creep? I see some flamenco guys where it looks absolutely stately. Some of the thumb nails out there are outrageous.

I have no idea why you would want it this excessive, but he looks like he is straight up slaying some flamenco with that giant thumb nail.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
A couple weeks ago I saw a guy on the train who had a coke nail on his big toe. It was the grossest fucking thing.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a gross tradition, but it's a historically sound gross tradition.

None of you guys have done it? Seriously? There are no nylon string players here? Banjo players?

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
There actually isn't any evidence that certain vitamins (usually E is the go-to) will help nail growth and strength. The main key is to make sure you're good on protein and water intake, and then to take care of them. Don't saw file, always file in one direction only. You can also do nail/cuticle soaks ever week or so. Get a neutral oil like refined coconut, almond, jojoba, or even just good olive oil, add the gel from a couple of capsules of vitamin e, and then soak your nails in it for 20-30 minutes. Beyond that, it's just forcing yourself to let them grow and taking care of them.

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
Since my daughter has started playing, I've tried to maintain my nails. I last until I chip/tear one and then I snip them all down to nubs. Then I start again. I've never gotten anywhere near that long.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
A couple weeks ago I saw a guy on the train who had a coke nail on his big toe. It was the grossest fucking thing.
the worst toenails are seen in jail. i saw a 60 year old black dude with claws that crawled over his sandals and touched the ground…10 years have passed and i still have the image stained in my mind

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
dude just go get you a fake set from your local vietnamese nail salon…just make sure to get a pentagram on one of your pinky nails to stay trve

4,429 Posts
Fake nails don't sound the same as real nails, ping pong balls work well to fix a broken one for a performance, but natural nails is definitely worth the sacrifice (especially if you don't need a a lot of nail to play).

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
A little more info that I remembered while Stravaing:

• Nick Comier (I think he goes by SnowFall now) at SSo was one of the few other "Fingerpicking Metal" folks I've encountered. Did he ever come over this way?
  • There's a couple of threads over at SSo:
  • I've not found anybody I know that uses the Alaska Pick you showed. They do require a bit of nail to work, so if you can't do that, then these likely won't work well.
  • There are these metal wire based picks called Butterfly Picks:
    Similarly, I don't know anybody that's tried these, and they need a bit of nail to work.
  • A number of folks have gone the Crazy-Glu/Silk-wrap route. Basically, there's this nail-repair silk-wrap stuff you can get at places like Sally's Beauty Supply and you glue it down with some kind of cyanoacrylate glue. Since it strengthens the nails from behind, the tone isn't tremendously affected.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I started on classical for the first few years and grew my fingernails. They were super strong and the envy of female classmates and teachers. Then I started playing electric, which is where I'd wanted to be all along. I remember bits of nail flying all over the room as they came off. I've kept them short ever since.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts