Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok; I'm aware Dean guitars are quite popular among young musicians, particularly their brand of Razorbacks...but I've heard a lot of negative stuff about them and that they tend to be made out of cheap material. I've tried a couple in local guitar stores and they don't seem so bad; I think its kinda lame they whore out Dimebag's name the way they do though.

So; to the point, could someone give me a clearer insight into Dean guitars and why theres so much negativity surrounding them?

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Ok; I'm aware Dean guitars are quite popular among young musicians, particularly their brand of Razorbacks...but I've heard a lot of negative stuff about them and that they tend to be made out of cheap material. I've tried a couple in local guitar stores and they don't seem so bad; I think its kinda lame they whore out Dimebag's name the way they do though.

So; to the point, could someone give me a clearer insight into Dean guitars and why theres so much negativity surrounding them?
I think thats the main reason for the H8. Dean isn't my favorite brand by any means but I would rock the fuck out of a Dean Rik Emmet V.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
They also caught a lot of shit for the QC on their low -> medium end lines, plus, they got a reputation for being a little cheesy with their overuse of ridiculous vinyls on all their medium -> high end stuff.

That in mind, I actually like a few of their guitars and I wouldn't mind buying them, even with the stigma surrounding them.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
They also caught a lot of shit for the QC on their low -> medium end lines, plus, they got a a reputation for being a little cheesy with their overuse of ridiculous vinyls on all their medium -> high end stuff.
This.

Dean USA guitars are fucking phenomenal, though, and in my mind totally separate from the other side of their business.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
avoid the dimebags, they are marginal at best, 95% of them awful. Outside of the dime line, you can usually get a pretty sick guitar for the price once you spend ~400-600+

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Their non-Dimebag stuff is actually pretty freaking solid. I had a Black Gold Z for a while that was a fantastic guitar.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Back in the '80s, Dean had a really good reputation for building more adventurous variations on the basic Gibson designs with high quality. Classic Deans are still sought after for that very reason.

As others have said, the whole sleazy Dimebag thing and the low-quality Asian guitars have hurt them, but I also think that their recent trend of making lots of goofy 'evil'-looking guitars hasn't helped. All the low-end Deans I see in the stores seem aimed at 13-year-olds who want to wear corpse paint. BC Rich has suffered the same problems over the last decade but finally seems to be coming around to the idea of capitalizing more on their most classic designs. Dean does the same thing to a degree, but not as much on the lower end of their line.

The funny thing is, Dean Zelinsky's new line of guitars is even goofier than his old company's. He can't seem to design something simple and beautiful anymore.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah ok; cheers guys, but does anyone know about the Dean From Hell model? I know its apart of the Dime line but I've heard quite good reviews about it despite the general negativity many of his other signature (and I use that term very loosely) guitars.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
My only critique of the Dean From Hell is that the Bill Lawrence pickup and I didn't get along with eachother. The guitar in itself, as long as you like playing with the ML body shape, was quite alright.

·
I dislike Porcupine Tree.
189 Posts
They also caught a lot of shit for the QC on their low -> medium end lines, plus, they got a reputation for being a little cheesy with their overuse of ridiculous vinyls on all their medium -> high end stuff.

That in mind, I actually like a few of their guitars and I wouldn't mind buying them, even with the stigma surrounding them.
:agreed: NOM RC7 mahogany

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
My only critique of the Dean From Hell is that the Bill Lawrence pickup and I didn't get along with eachother. The guitar in itself, as long as you like playing with the ML body shape, was quite alright.
Dimebag put his Bill Lawrence's upside IIRC. Not sure if the Hell model does this or they put it the usual. That aside, it's Dime's preferred tone which is why you prolly didn't get along with it.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The RC7 is the only thing i'd touch with a 10 ft pole?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts