Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never played a guitar with a painted neck that I thought was really comfortable. Every guitar I've ever owned with a painted neck was sold quickly (Jackson Pros, a few LTD Deluxes, some 400 series LTDs, etc.) or had the finish sanded off (Agile, Carvins, ESP)... I just find that the clearcoat/paint is stickier than a good un-painted neck sealed with Linseed or Tung oil.

I assume there are people out there who prefer the feel of a painted neck, but I don't recall ever meeting one of them. And if there aren't any folks out there who prefer painted necks, why do companies do them? Is it because it's easier to completely paint neck-thrus than masking off the neck? Is the paint supposed to cover some imperfections in the neck wood? I'm at a loss.

What about you guys? Is a painted neck on a neck-thru/set-neck guitar a turn-off or no? Do you like the feel of a painted neck?

2 guitars being equal in every way, but one with a painted neck, the other unpainted, which do you choose?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I'm completely indifferent to whether necks are painted (either gloss or satin) or oiled. :shrug: A cleaned and polished painted neck will be smooth and slick... i'm sure that the people who complain of necks being "sticky" never clean their guitars. Also, in my experience, modern poly finishes are definitely smoother and slicker than older nitro finishes, which do seem to have a tiny bit more "drag" to them, but still nothing that bothers me at all.

Hard finishes offer better protection for the wood, particularly if it isn't a closed-pore wood like maple. Mahogany necks or multi-wood necks with open grain likely aren't going to do as well with an oil finish over the long term. Manufacturers may want to minimize the possibility of warranty claims due to oiled necks. It is also easier and more cost-effective from a production perspective to finish everything the same and eliminate as much hand work (masking, multiple types of finish) from the process as possible.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
all things being equal - i would take an unpainted neck over a painted one. I just think unpainted necks feel better.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Satin finished painted necks: best of both worlds.

I really don't care much though.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I bought into a lot of the voodoo about painted necks when I was younger and stripped+tung oiled all of mine that were painted. I prefer them the way they are now, but I don't think it makes a tremendous difference if any.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I think painted necks can be a pain, but you really do just owe them a quick swipe with a rag once in a while. The slight stickiness can be nice sometimes.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; HERO200 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Maybe my body chemistry is different, but a completely clean painted neck still drags under my hand, even if I just washed my hands. I despise the feel of paint, finding it as tacky as a piece of glass.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I've got both and like them either way - although I seem to lean towards non-painted neck.

I do agree if you are judging painted necks based on experience with someone else's guitar or a guitar at a store - it's probably just dirty.

I will say this - I have two very similar Warmoth Tele.s the first I put a maple/maple neck on which Warmoth recommends to finish - so I used their satin finish. For the second one I wanted something different and that I could leave unfinished so I used Goncalo Alves with a Goncalo Alves fretboard. The finished maple neck might be the fastest neck I've ever played with that satin finish on it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't really mind that much, I've got both. A dirty painted neck can feel pretty bad but once it's be given a nice clean I tend not to notice much difference. Often I've picked up friends guitars that felt just terrible, but most of them are just casual players and they don't even realise it.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I think every guitar I've used steadily had a painted neck, no issues. My hands get sweaty and I just fly up and down them, then I clean my strings (if I remember) when I'm done.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Either.

I prefer painted necks for the fact that they don't move much through the change of humidity / temps.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I prefer painted necks, if for nothing else than the aesthetics of it. My hand doesn't drag at all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.