Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm trying to learn a guitar solo by ear; it doesn't follow a "key", so its becoming a bit difficult to follow it not per note.

Is there any software out there that will tell me what note is being played or maybe slow the whole thing down?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7646944/Cats solo.mp3

This is the solo btw

Thanks for the help :)

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
There is a program called Slowblast that slows down music without changing pitch. It isn't free, but it would work.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Do you use VLC? If so, the arrows on the left and right allow you to slow down/speed up the music, can't recall if it changes pitch though.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

the solo is from the band Hedda, I think i have it figured it out :)

·
should really be working.
366 Posts
If it helps, I made a quick midi and then imported it into powertab (which decide to mix flats and sharps). It also automatically generated the tab so I'm not sure how good the fingerings are. But, here you go:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it helps, I made a quick midi and then imported it into powertab (which decide to mix flats and sharps). It also automatically generated the tab so I'm not sure how good the fingerings are. But, here you go:
FUCK YEA! Thanks bro, you are so cool \m/

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Open whatever you want to change, then select all, go to effects, choose "Tempo." It will let you change the tempo by a percentage or you can change the bpm. Same thing, really.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Open whatever you want to change, then select all, go to effects, choose "Tempo." It will let you change the tempo by a percentage or you can change the bpm. Same thing, really.
Ahh cool, thanks for the info!

BTW.. do you any music recorded?

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Amazing slow downer also works very well. I have another one at home that I can't remember the name of but it also has a karaoke function that cuts out the lead tracks (fairly well) so you can jam over stuff. I'll post it tonight wehn I get home because it's also ................FREE!!!! (I found it it's called BestPractice).
linky link!
Download BestPractice - GPL Software - Tucows

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Ahh cool, thanks for the info!

BTW.. do you any music recorded?
You're welcome.

I have some music recorded somewhere, from like 2 years ago with my old band. I mostly just have the vocal tracks, though. My equipment sucks too, so the quality is horrible. I might dig around and see if I can find it. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.:rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're welcome.

I have some music recorded somewhere, from like 2 years ago with my old band. I mostly just have the vocal tracks, though. My equipment sucks too, so the quality is horrible. I might dig around and see if I can find it. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.:rofl:
n/p, its always interesting to see what type of music other members make.

CHeck out my stuff here:

Dybbuk on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (my band)

SoundClick artist: Samer Sultan - page with MP3 music downloads

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
how did you do the whole midi conversion thing? or did you just figure it out and play it on a midi controller? :lol:

·
should really be working.
366 Posts
Definitely not a genius! I've just had tons of practice and I teach theory/ aural skills at a community college.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Anyone can develop a good ear with a bit of training.

I've been blessed/cursed with perfect pitch with regards to note identification, but there's no reason that a good trained ear with excellent relative pitch can't do it better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.