Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if you guys use any software or if you could recommend software that would do this. I've got 14 songs I need to learn, as well as I want to brush up on some chords and a proceed with learning new licks. I'm thinking something like Excel that could use to just make out my practice schedule for each week. Maybe just excel? :rofl: Are there any alternatives that would probably make things look better, or anything that actually for this?

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is this...the dark ages? :lol:

I found a couple calendar like programs, but I think i'm just going to draw a chart and get it copied a bunch of times. What I wanted was something with specific tasks and I could hyperlink some of the text such as "legato licks" and when I click it, it pulls up a list of links to stuff I want to learn that I can go down each week until its time to find more I want to learn. (But then I realized why spend so much time on this, when I could be actually practicing instead)

I think i'm just going to make a hand drawn chart, and then in MS Word have one page of just links for different licks and exercises I want to learn separated by type, and just use that as my reference.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
What is this...the dark ages? :lol:

I found a couple calendar like programs, but I think i'm just going to draw a chart and get it copied a bunch of times. What I wanted was something with specific tasks and I could hyperlink some of the text such as "legato licks" and when I click it, it pulls up a list of links to stuff I want to learn that I can go down each week until its time to find more I want to learn. (But then I realized why spend so much time on this, when I could be actually practicing instead)

I think i'm just going to make a hand drawn chart, and then in MS Word have one page of just links for different licks and exercises I want to learn separated by type, and just use that as my reference.
I see what you are saying, and that makes sense. However, in my experience, I find that I learn more by writing it out anyway. For instance, how do I play a minor 7th flat 5 in the second inversion? I could go look it up or I can figure it out myself. I find that by doing it myself, I don't rely on chord charts or scale diagrams.

Yet, when time is critical, that might not be the best option.

Keep in mind that Soops and I did prove that paper/pencil + egg timer = Petrucci.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:yesway: I've got a bit of time to learn the 14 songs, we're doing a "marathon" practice in January, and then the show is Feb 20th at the DC Convention Center (for a bunch of snooty record execs and such). I just want to learn the songs, and advance my chops at the same time.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
That's some big time shit for sure man. Seriously, best of luck to you in that. That is an awesome opportunity.

And here my band is struggling to get 5 songs together :lol:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's some big time shit for sure man. Seriously, best of luck to you in that. That is an awesome opportunity.

And here my band is struggling to get 5 songs together :lol:
If it makes you feel any better, 10 out of 14 are covers, due to her not having enough original material. Things work a lot differently in the Country world though. The songs aren't hard either, there is just a Lot of stuff going on at once and being the only guitarist (other than a lapsteel/acoustic player) its a little of a challenge to figure out what parts would best represent each song live.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
I had to learn 45 covers (top 40 bar band stuff) in under 2 months, including all the solo mostly note for note. Its been pretty tough since the last few years have been jam band/prog rock type stuff but I am about 40 songs in now and going back to top 40 is just weird.

I just threw all the songs in a spreadsheet and color coded a column for how well I knew the tune and just blasted through them all. We jam once a week and I just work my way to green on all of them and work on the ones that are not green.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts