Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on Grooveshark with some songs lined up, currently listening to "Stabbing the drama".

Reminds me a bit of Threat Signal, even though I'm fairly certain this album came out first :lol:.

I dig it so far, gonna see what I think of other tracks and other albums :yesway:

I know a few of you guys really dig them, any song suggestions?

(Thank goodness for Grooveshark!)

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Listen to Warrel Dane's "Praises to The War Machine". Peter Wichers had a pretty big hand in the whole thing. Great simple guitar playing, but in a format I like better than Soilwork.

Peter's guitar playing knocks it out of the park on that album. He doesn't overplay anything. Theres no playing hard stuff for the sake of it, he plays exactly what the song needs. Which is harder to do than shred/riff all over the top of something.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just heard "Late for the kill, early for the slaughter" - the ending of that song rips!

Garrett, is that the band name?

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, Soilwork was a big influence on Threat Signal, and they actually cover that song live sometimes (including once with the singer from Soilwork jumping on stage to sing it at a small show in Hamilton last year).

·
Registered
604 Posts
Ironically, their best album since Predator's Portrait was written and recorded with Peter Wichers out of the band and living here in Nashville.

[action=pardon miasma]really likes Sworn To A Great Divide. It's one of those sentimental things. Don't hurt me. Stabbing The Drama is good too.[/action]

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
I like everything Soilwork has ever done. Some people hate on the new stuff, but I love it. Also as said earlier Praises to the War Machine is great stuff and it is certainly mostly due to Witchers role in it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Chainheart Machine is my favorite Soilwork album, and really one of my favorite metal albums. Unfortunately, they became more formulaic which each release that followed, and I was so disappointed by Figure Number Five that I basically wrote them off after that. I also didn't care for the increased emphasis on Speed's clean singing, because as has been more and more apparent the three or four times I've seen them live, he's not a good singer. Growls and screams are his strengths, but his clean singing is some of the worst I've heard.

Darkane, on the other hand, is sounding better than ever, and their new vocalist can sing.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Just heard "Late for the kill, early for the slaughter" - the ending of that song rips!

Garrett, is that the band name?
OMG, a metal band I got into before one of our members! :woohoo:

Soilwork kicks ass. I'm not big on that song, but just about everything else they've done owns.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Stabbing the Drama has probably the most best production in metal, ever.
I've never heard a more balanced sounding album in my life, and consequently it's just so tight and huge sounding.
If you don't own studio monitors, go out and buy them so you appreciate how huge it sounds.
Unfortunately, I find the music to be largely forgettable. Not bad music, but I honestly only listen to it as a production reference and never sit down and actually listen to the music.

As musicians, they're all top notch. You can tell by listening to their music they just come in fully prepared and well rehearsed and don't need to be edited to shit to sound great.
I think one should just check out all their discography and find out what they do and don't like (or find out if they like it all), because they definitely never made the same sounding album twice.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.