Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
He wants to collect the Sun's energy in the solar panel to heat heating elements to melt snow/ice in the winter? That's dumb, and here's why.

1. When it snows, the snow will cover the panel, and keep the light from getting in. That's why the BLACK ASPHALT (which, in it's blackness, absorbs much of the Sun's energy anyways) can't always melt the snow either.
2. Because the asphalt is black, and already absorbs a ton of the Sun's energy (check the temp of a road vs a concrete sidewalk sometime on a sunny day). So, instead of using the asphalt as your energy absorber / heating element, you're going to develop some stupidly strong and durable glass (which also will need to be slip resistant) to be able to not break under the weight of an 18 wheeler, THEN develop a solar technology that can also survive in such conditions, THEN perhaps develop a way to service these panels easily since they're going to be subterranean, THEN develop technologies to ensure that WHEN one of these things cracks it's not going to spill out hazardous chemicals/materials when it fucking rains?

I'm a huge proponent of the solar industry (for obvious reasons), but I think this is a pretty dumb idea :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The heat retention of asphalt/concrete is always pretty impressive. I was on a flightline once, looking at a FLIR camera's view of the deck. A plane took off, and a good three hours later you could still see it's heat signature on the runway. :yesway:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Hmm, what if they put tall poles every X miles that also have a cell in it. Have them connected to the cells in the road to where it'll start melting some off the top of the road, just enough for the cells down there can take over.

Position or design the poles in a way that the sun can still reach them if snow covered the top, like a lighthouse design.

That'll make it more efficient.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Honestly, the Sun isn't the answer. I think the biggest problem is in cities. If cities can manage to pipe their heat waste through pipes under their roads, then they don't need to invent any new technologies as ridiculous as driving on glass.

This is a super high tech fantasy solution for a low tech problem.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Sweet. Instead of driving on slippery snow, you can drive on slippery melted snow!

Hydroplane FTW
Exactly. Once the snow has melted, they'll need to figure out a fancy way to get rid of the water before it freezes on the side of the road :lol:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I think the other idea mentioned in the article about heat storing pipes under traditional asphalt has more going for it. Like Leon said, the solar cell idea needs too much developement to make it viable. Using pipes to harvest the heat from the roads in summer & defrost them in winter is just an evolotion of the existing ground sourced heat pump technology, though the projected costs are a bit pricey at the moment, particularly the maintenance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts