Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my rivera knucklehead reverb, this was one of the greatest amps I got to play
on and it served me well for a year or so, but I felt that I want something abit different and it's time to let it go.

I'm debating between these:

1. Axe fx.
2. Bogner Uberschall.
3. Bogner Uberschall twin jet.
4. Diezel herbert.

Here are some sound clips that could describe the tone I'm after:

(Uberschall twin jet).

(uberschall with probably another amp).

I never played a bogner, but I just love the uberschall's tone, weird, doesnt makes sense,
but thats truely the case.

I've heard so many clips and videos of it and always recognized that big loose low end,
that signature bogner midrange response, that slight compression to the tone, I really like that and I really want that specific tone.

I'm considering an axe fx after hearing they redid the uberschall on version 10.0 and I'm really excited from it's versatility and options - but I'm afraid it wont get me to that bogner sound accurately enough, I'm really afraid getting again to the point of selling gear that doesnt works for me, it's not an easy task here in Israel.

The bogner should be the obvious choice but the complaints from alot of people about it lacking versatility and being one trick pony kinda makes me think that I could regret on that one too.

The diezel is very versatile but I dont know if it will produce what I'm after, I've heard some people claiming the herbert is peter's take on the uber, but I cant know that till I'll try one myself.

If I could try all that gear I would do that, but unfortunately I live in israel and we dont have bogner\diezel dealers here.

Please guys, I need your thoughts and advise.

Trippled.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I've heard about alot of people using tube power amps with their axe though,
alot of people tried the sss pa thing and thought it didnt replicate the tube tone well enough.
Then see if you can find a used mesa 2:90 IIRC they are about $1000 and the AXE-FX is $1500 or $2000 so youd be right at your mark with no foot controller which id recommend strongly if you go the ultra route

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
If you get the Axe-FX and don't really like it, you can probably short-sell it for exactly what you put in. It's a great piece of gear (from what I've read) but it probably won't retain it's value in a few years the same way any of the other amps you listed will. Just food for thought.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
I'd be really hesitant about dropping a large chunk of change of those kinds of amps if you can't try them out before you buy them. Maybe put an ad up on your local craigslist, someone might have one for sale and then you could try it out that way. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Then see if you can find a used mesa 2:90 IIRC they are about $1000 and the AXE-FX is $1500 or $2000 so youd be right at your mark with no foot controller which id recommend strongly if you go the ultra route
Be better off with the VHT/Fryette 2/90/2. Really transparent, but still adds tube feel and warmth.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think its silly to buy anything but an axe at this point. Even if its not 100% the tone of amp X you love, its worth it to have the flexibility and value for money.

if its any use, from what ive heard the vht 2/50/2 is better than the 2/90/2. I guess to lower the headroom and actually get the poweramp working a little.

·
18,790 Posts
I think its silly to buy anything but an axe at this point. Even if its not 100% the tone of amp X you love, its worth it to have the flexibility and value for money.

if its any use, from what ive heard the vht 2/50/2 is better than the 2/90/2. I guess to lower the headroom and actually get the poweramp working a little.
Depending on what kind of sound you're looking for, and how much versatility you need. I could live with a single-channel amp and a couple of pedals and be perfectly happy. That said, I could use the versatility and might end up with an Axe-FX some day down the road (depending on what kind of gigs I end up getting).

·
Registered
39 Posts
certainly is OTT for a lot of people, but being able to make output 1 on the axe to use a cab/poweramp sim, then have output 2 disable that, for your real poweramp/cab is cool. On a pod you would have to setup 2 patches.

Plus you have the wealth of patches being shared on the official site just make it too good to pass.

·
18,790 Posts
certainly is OTT for a lot of people, but being able to make output 1 on the axe to use a cab/poweramp sim, then have output 2 disable that, for your real poweramp/cab is cool. On a pod you would have to setup 2 patches.

Plus you have the wealth of patches being shared on the official site just make it too good to pass.
Yeah, unless you don't need that :lol: Like I said, I love the flexibility of the Axe-FX, and wish I could afford one to replace my POD X3, but I'd also kill for a nice one or two channel tube amp that I could just plug in and play.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts

That's the thing though, you don't want the power amp to be working a little. You use the power amp sims on the Axe to achieve whatever tone it is you're going for.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.