Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Soldano SLO clone build complete with clip!

I wasn't really sure where to post this and finally decided to place it here.

So far i have all the PCB's populated and the Chassis drilled and now im just waiting on my transformers to arrive so i can finally finish this off (due today, i'm keenly watching parcelforces tracking info)

I'm building a 50watt clone as 100w is way OTT for what i need.

So far i aren't building it stock i have upped a few resistor values so i have the option of using 6l6/5881 as stock or EL34,KT66,KT77,KT88

Most likely i shall end up going back to my favourite valves of all time the JJ E34L but i'm going with the stock 6l6 for starters.

The transformers im using are an overspecced replica of the original Deyoungs used in the real SLO that are made by O'netics.

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow i will have some clips & more pics

here are some pics so far.

Preamp

Power Amp

Chassis Main

This one goes up to 11!!!!

Chassis Rear

Bits & bats

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This build isn't really a kit exactly.

I sourced everything myself from various suppliers which worked out the cheapest way for me.

However you can get all the components to build the amp from Rob @ C3amps where i got the Chassis & transformers. He is a great guy to deal with and is very helpful.

But that is all you get + the schematic. There are no written instructions or anything and there are a few errors in the schematics too that you have to work around.

If you get in touch with Rob let him know i sent you over. I think the quote he gave to me for the whole shebang was around $1700.

For me this build has cost about £500 in total £390 of that being transformers & the chassis.

If you would rather source it yourself send me a PM and i can help out anyone interested

·
Read Only
3 Posts
The price for the whole thing being $1700.... a used SLO can be found for $2200-2300... I'd probably just get the real thing, as the time I have to build things these days is pretty limited.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly if you get it all in one place it is really expensive my method worked out far cheaper.

i would have gone used but if a used SLO does come up over here its generally about £2500 so it was a no go

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually looking at my BOM i have noticed the cost in the US for everything including valves using cheaper transformers and a cheaper chassis the total cost is $755.56

and for a more budget version which cheaps out on a lot of stuff $598.84

That just means ordering all the parts yourself from Mouser & allied electronics etc

I also have all of the part numbers to make it more pain free

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you can solder, accurately describe issues you are having and follow a schematic its not overly hard.

Oh yeah electrical safety knowledge is crucial also.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Max likes it. Don't worry you'll figure him out soon enough.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okies.

Just received notification that Farnell is closed tomorrow so i'm gonna have to find somewhere else to source the extra bits

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Interesting! Thanks for sharing. Would it be worth it to cheap out on those parts for cheap SLO clone? I mean... what about the Jet City 50 and 100w heads then?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The jet citys can be modded into a budget SLO with very little effort.

The main drawback of them is the transformers are of the cheap & nasty variety.

To be fair the budget one isnt that much different component wise its mainly transformers which can easily be upgraded at a later date.

But the friendly chaps on the sloclone forums have kindly got a custom set made that comes to half the cost of the Onetics output transformer that i got alone.

i shall probably use them in my next build which is for a friend as he wants to keep costs down and we are aiming at around £400 tops for it.

in the US you will benefit a lot more and be able to do it a fair bit cheaper than i have due to not having to pay duty & import tax + $84 shipping on each item

1 - 20 of 66 Posts