·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Read Only
3 Posts
:james:

Man the series 1 just did not hang with the others. This also makes me really want the Depth mod on my SLO.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You did not think it sounded too scooped and muddy? I really liked the X88R
I love scooped amp sound. 99% of my playing is just me jamming with my amp, and 1% of it is recording. Scooped amps might not sound as good in the mix, but I don't really care. They sound fuckin great to play though and that's really all I care about.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'd enjoy this dude's videos more if he wasn't such a bitchpicker., he picks with all the authority of a wet kleenex. Even the way he grabs the trem bar is super delicate.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Gonna do that depth mod to my Jet City soon. #JBASLO

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd enjoy this dude's videos more if he wasn't such a bitchpicker., he picks with all the authority of a wet kleenex. Even the way he grabs the trem bar is super delicate.
That's right. All the good players have a touch, not a hammer.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Oh I cannot wait to watch this! The X88 sounds amazing on the AxeFx 3, so I'm curious to hear this.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

Man the series 1 just did not hang with the others. This also makes me really want the Depth mod on my SLO.
Do it. Its relatively simple. And it's the kinda of thing you set and forget so you can do it with a trimpot internally. Or replace a speaker jack if you don't use two cabs

·
Read Only
3 Posts

Do it. Its relatively simple. And it's the kinda of thing you set and forget so you can do it with a trimpot internally. Or replace a speaker jack if you don't use two cabs
Any pics on how to do it? Every link I find is dead.

I contacted Soldano, and they no longer do mods.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

Next time I'm on the pc I'll see if I can dig something up for you.

Is literally moving a wire and adding a pot and cap.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

Actually here you go.

https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/amp-technology/slo-feedback/

The wire goes from the 4ohm tap to the 39k nfb resistor stock on the pcb left hand side (if looking with the preamp valves facing you.

All you need to do is disconect it and go to the 1m pot in parallel with the 0.047uf cap then out from that to a 0.1uf cap then back to where it originally connected to the pcb

As drawn here (the 1uf cap should be 0.1uf)

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zAiuCNIx0WM/Uk1r1yT5YTI/AAAAAAAAALs/TYJUrGkxuwg/s1600/dpmod.jpg

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

Actually here you go.

https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/amp-technology/slo-feedback/

The wire goes from the 4ohm tap to the 39k nfb resistor stock on the pcb left hand side (if looking with the preamp valves facing you.

All you need to do is disconect it and go to the 1m pot in parallel with the 0.047uf cap then out from that to a 0.1uf cap then back to where it originally connected to the pcb

As drawn here (the 1uf cap should be 0.1uf)

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zAiuCNIx0WM/Uk1r1yT5YTI/AAAAAAAAALs/TYJUrGkxuwg/s1600/dpmod.jpg
Just noticed on that diagram the 0.1uf cap is drawn at the wrong side of the pot.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Toe-Knee:

I haven't done much amp modding... so potentially stupid question ahead:

The caps for this mod aren't seeing the full voltage of the amp, so I don't need 600v caps, just normal film caps, right?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Toe-Knee:

I haven't done much amp modding... so potentially stupid question ahead:

The caps for this mod aren't seeing the full voltage of the amp, so I don't need 600v caps, just normal film caps, right?
I would have to actually check but I reckon 100v+ should be good.

I typically use Mallory 150s that are 630v but that's just because I have a bunch of them.

This is directly in your audio path though so I'd definitely use decent parts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts