Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted a SLO for 15+ years. I can probably pick one up soon, but for the price I could get an Axe or Kemper.

I have limited time on the Axe, but when I played it, it did sound good. I've heard demos of the Kemper and they seem pretty great too.

I have no volume limitations at my house, I can run an Ampeg SVT at full blast any time I want.

An advantage to the amp is that in ten years it will be worth more than today, the axe will probably be worth a few hundred bucks.

An advantage to the modeler is that I get the SLO sound, plus a bunch more... But with the amps I have, I don't know how many others I'd use.

So you modeling guys... What are your thoughts?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Can't speak for the KPA, but the Fractal is also an absolute asskicker of an effects processor. Even if you don't use the modeling most of the time, you'll still have a boatload of top-end effects available for the loop of any of your amps.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Box Smasher)

For what it's worth, the SLO99 model is one of my faves in the AFX. I only have the Axe I, but I can make clips if you'd like

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
I think I'd go with the axe if you're looking for spending your money on something functional as opposed to an investment. You've got a killer collection of amps as-is, but the Axe will fill the gaps with stuff you don't have (SLO, vintage Fenders, etc.) and could prove useful for your studio stuff.

That being said, the SLO is a killer amp. But with you already owning as many as you do, I'd say go with the Axe and have an all-in-one unit.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Not to mention that you can immediately dial up this bitchin' Plexi tone.

http://soundcloud.com/progressiverocco/axe-fx-ii-george-lynch-hot

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
Go digital man there easy enough to sell if you don't like it. But I'm pretty sure you will be very happy.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Love the AFX II. Love the Soldano.

Would rather have the SLO in your situation.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness)

It depends. If the amps you have already do it for you, and you're just adding the last piece of the puzzle, then go SLO, particularly with no volume limitations. But if you've still got a lot of holes even after the SLO, the Axe would be a good fit.
Nobody likes technology rapidly depreciating, but if it sounds good, it sounds good.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
SLO.

Only go AxeFx if you need to start selling your collection.

·
Grumpy Old Fart
1,025 Posts
If volume isn't an issue and you can afford the SLO, get it. Your situation is exactly the counter to the modeling argument. And yes, I'm an Axe FX II user.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot to add I have a g-force and a bunch of boutique pedals, so I dont need effects.

Thanks for the link to TGP, I will check it...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Jacksonplayer already has an AxeFX2 that I can play through, so buy the SLO. And hurry up and finish writing my parts for the next Division album.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you volume wise. having sold my mesa mk v to fund the axe fx i don't find myself regretting it at all. maybe if I went back to playing live I would but you have other amps for that.

that said if you have wanted the slo that long buying an afx will not change that!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Jacksonplayer already has an AxeFX2 that I can play through, so buy the SLO. And hurry up and finish writing my parts for the next Division album.
This, on both counts. That IS a bitchin' Lynch tone, however! :metal:

1 - 20 of 114 Posts