Metal Guitarist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've owned both, and I want another soldano.

Theres nothing like standing in front of one of those turned up loud.

The axe and kemper can do a pretty good approximation of the recorded tone of one though, but they aren't the same thing.

The other thing is once i have my amp sound i tend to use that single sound and nothing else - so with volume restrictions out the door - its a no brainer if that's the sound you want - and even if it gets too loud, get a two-notes or anything to feed it into some impulses properly.

now i want one......

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Volume is not an issue. I run my 300w SVT cranked through a 6x10, and the sound does not travel off of my property.

SLO it is!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Awaiting cranked slo/cs jackson vids.

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Unless you plan on doing some serious recording, sounds like you would be better off with the amp.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well, I do serious recording. But, since I have a small fleet of amps, as well as many more that I can borrow, I don't know that the Axe will scratch the itch :)

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Well, I do serious recording. But, since I have a small fleet of amps, as well as many more that I can borrow, I don't know that the Axe will scratch the itch :)
Well the convenience with the Axe is to be able to tone match.
So once you dial in a tone you like with your amp, you can capture and recall it at any point, not worry about mics moving etc.
Might complement your fleet of amps nicely!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
It's Dave's birthday, too. Buy an Axe-Fx, because you know he'll hate it. And Dave loves to hate. :noodles:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Well the convenience with the Axe is to be able to tone match.
So once you dial in a tone you like with your amp, you can capture and recall it at any point, not worry about mics moving etc.
Might complement your fleet of amps nicely!
I think the axe will be the purchase after the SLO. I mainly record old man metal, so amps will be appreciated more than a computer that sounds like an amp.

I also want to check out the Kemper for its tone-match. Does either the Kemper or Axe do tone matching better than the other?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
ITT: We're unsurprised to learn Crooks owns half of Virginia
I don't own half of Virginia, but I do live on 10 acres. My nearest neighbor has their property line ~1000 ft from mine. My studio is in the basement of my house which is completely underground. The studio rooms are 2x6 and 2x8 construction with Safe 'n Sound brand insulation and multiple layers of drywall.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I don't own half of Virginia, but I do live on 10 acres. My nearest neighbor has their property line ~1000 ft from mine. My studio is in the basement of my house which is completely underground. The studio rooms are 2x6 and 2x8 construction with Safe 'n Sound brand insulation and multiple layers of drywall.
When you are Matt Crooks you can afford *brand name* insulation. The rest of us just insulate our underground studios with wood chips from Home Depot and dog shit.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
All the better to muffle the screams of your victims...

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
When you are Matt Crooks you can afford *brand name* insulation. The rest of us just insulate our underground studios with wood chips from Home Depot and dog shit.
:scratch: I insulate mine with dead hookers

41 - 60 of 114 Posts