Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone using a Soldano amp primarily? I keep finding myself gravitating back to the Soldano models on my HD500x and dig the rich tone it has. I made a patch where I stacked it with a Recto and really like it. Wondering what a real Soldano sounds like for metal, though...

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Im 100% certain I will never own one as they are ££££££££££££££££££££££££££ over here but they sound fucking beastly. If I remember right the amp James built was an SLO clone and he was very happy with it.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I own a SLO. It's by far the best lead amp I've ever played. For rhythms, it's in the Dusl Rec / 5150 area, but it's not as raspy as either and not as boomy. Google Lassle Laments SLO videos, he gets a great modern metal tone from them.

Right now my live amp is an überschall, mainly because of how that rhythm sound blends with Mike's recto.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
I've played James SLO clone a couple of times now and its fantastic.

Like Nick, i'd love one but i cant see it ever happening as the price is fucking ridiculous over here, and they rarely come up used.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
I had one for a few years and wish I never sold it. At the time I was messing with various pedals trying to get a different sound and now I regret selling it. If you got the money and are serious its a sure fire road to kickass sound, other amps wish they where a SLO.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I own a SLO. It's by far the best lead amp I've ever played. For rhythms, it's in the Dusl Rec / 5150 area, but it's not as raspy as either and not as boomy. Google Lassle Laments SLO videos, he gets a great modern metal tone from them.

Right now my live amp is an überschall, mainly because of how that rhythm sound blends with Mike's recto.
Not seeing anything, link?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
From everything I've read (and schematics I've looked at), the circuit design for the lead/overdrive channel of the Hot Rod and the SLO100 are 99% the same (I think the Hot Rod uses cheaper components and transformers so you will still get a different sounding amp). If it were me and was on a budget I'd look at the Jet City 50H or 100HDM. They're pretty much the same circuit as the Hot Rods and will get you close to that Soldano vibe for sure.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Used Hot Rod will get you very close, and of the inner tone snob within you has a itch you can upgrade components later. That trasformer isnt cheap if I remember right.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I was looking for a hot rod to replace my old single channel but never did.

I would probably take a 5150 over an avenger. Havent sat down with a SLO.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
What about a jet city? They are like 95% soldano schematics and lots of people mod them to match the avenger or slo

It will get you very close for not much money, and you can upgrade if you dig it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had an avenger for a few years - and like many - regret selling it.....

The distortion sounds closer to a rectifier than a marshall to my ears - but better than both in many ways. Works super well with a boost.

I found that amp sat really perfectly in a mix.

The SLOs I tried over the years sounded nearly identical - not enough for me to care,

the depth knob made the amp sound huuuuge - but i nearly always set it to near zero when recording -

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
A Soldano shouldn't sound like a Marshall. The Soldano was based on a super-heavily-modified Mesa Mark II. And IIRC the original Dual Recto's preamps were based on the SLO as well.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
A Soldano shouldn't sound like a Marshall. The Soldano was based on a super-heavily-modified Mesa Mark II. And IIRC the original Dual Recto's preamps were based on the SLO as well.
Yes, both the 5150 and the Recto's
Preamp designs are based on/derived from the Slo100.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SLO will run you close to $6k in the uk :lol:
Yikes, you can buy a used car here for that...

Yes, both the 5150 and the Recto's
Preamp designs are based on/derived from the Slo100.
No wonder they play so well together when I stack 'em with the HD500x...

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
These are the tones that make me want a SLO:

(Modded Bassman, Modded Marshall & a SLO)

I recently had the chance to play one of Rare Dark Pink SLO Rack Unit Heads. I just couldn't believe the amount of saturation and tone that Head have.
I want one so badly... Fairly certain that is the head I need to achieve what I want or someone tell me how to mod my Mark V to sound that way. :lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts