Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
If you want to mod your mark V, there is a mod a lot of users on the boogie board are doing - which is putting an 12at7 in the last slot before the phase inverter. My mate has just done it to his mark V and he absolutely loves it. Gives him more saturation with less ice picky top end. They're referring to it as the saturation mod if you take a look on the boogie board.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
My friend's old band onward to olympas used an SLO on their indicator album, idk anything about the signal chain other than he mentioned how kick ass it was :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I've never played a "real" SLO. However, I spent a lot of time with an SL60, which I couldn't afford at the time and it was *amazing* for what I was playing. Means that I pretty much permanently have the SLO bug; I really want the Hot Rod 25 as a result :lol:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My friend's old band onward to olympas used an SLO on their indicator album, idk anything about the signal chain other than he mentioned how kick ass it was :lol:

Are those guys still around? Dug 'em.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've only tried a SLO once. I ended up having major guitar shop syndrome and shat all my chops out the second I flicked the switch on. MEGA loud, very gainy but super unforgiving. Always loved the models on the Axe-FX/Pod though probably because they're more manageable at lower volumes etc.

Also got a shot of a KSR Colossus recently, really not overly fussed by it :-/

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
If you want to mod your mark V, there is a mod a lot of users on the boogie board are doing - which is putting an 12at7 in the last slot before the phase inverter. My mate has just done it to his mark V and he absolutely loves it. Gives him more saturation with less ice picky top end. They're referring to it as the saturation mod if you take a look on the boogie board.

Oh wow!

That's been like my only issue with the Mark V is that I felt it didn't have a enough saturation to the note. Still sounds great but I needed a little less high end.

·
Arch Mage of Metal
150 Posts
Oh wow!

That's been like my only issue with the Mark V is that I felt it didn't have a enough saturation to the note. Still sounds great but I needed a little less high end.
Try the JP2C. I used to have MKV (which I really, really, really like btw)... but the JP2C is an all-around better amp... especially for high-gain and/or any sort of metal.

:broccoli:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
I love the JP-2C and honestly I love Mark V for it's versatility of channels.
However, I need 2,500$ for either a JP-2C or SLO. :lol:

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Right. I built a slo clone near two years ago, and I can't lie, it's awesome.

1) Does it do metal rhythm? Yes, yes and yes. Tube screamer in front it's a muscular aggressive tone, got nice compression to it, but a lot of "rock" vibe which I think comes from the thickness of it. Have a listen on the following link, it was a test of the amp, with a tubescreamer I believe as a clean boost into my two notes.

https://soundcloud.com/7-dying-trees%2Fsloclone-test-1
2) cleans: gorgeous. very fenderish, bright, just like the clean tone you hear that is awesome. Well worth it

3) crunch: great for rhythm. tight as hell.

Overall the amp came out great, and even if i can't compare it to a real slo, if the slo is as good or better than that is amazing.

Oh, and for leads, the thing is a monster, absolutely awesome.

I can highly recommend it.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Right. I built a slo clone near two years ago, and I can't lie, it's awesome.

1) Does it do metal rhythm? Yes, yes and yes. Tube screamer in front it's a muscular aggressive tone, got nice compression to it, but a lot of "rock" vibe which I think comes from the thickness of it. Have a listen on the following link, it was a test of the amp, with a tubescreamer I believe as a clean boost into my two notes.

https://soundcloud.com/7-dying-trees%2Fsloclone-test-1
2) cleans: gorgeous. very fenderish, bright, just like the clean tone you hear that is awesome. Well worth it

3) crunch: great for rhythm. tight as hell.

Overall the amp came out great, and even if i can't compare it to a real slo, if the slo is as good or better than that is amazing.

Oh, and for leads, the thing is a monster, absolutely awesome.

I can highly recommend it.
That sounds awesome. Sweet riffs too! What did it take to build the amp?

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Are those guys still around? Dug 'em.
Nah, my bud that was in it had a kid with his wife and I think life happened to the rest of them, not to mention the drummer and one of the guitarists lived in different states making it kind of difficult lol. Nice guys though, they've done the facedown fest a few times but I think they are finished with that now.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I used to have a Soldano HR50+ head and miss it. Great amp and ridiculously loud. Based on the lead channel of the SLO and you can pick them up for around $1400 used (the latest version).

It was redundant, because I also have an SP77.

FWIW FJAMODs has some cool mods for these.

·
2,827 Posts
That sounds awesome. Sweet riffs too! What did it take to build the amp?
Well, took buying a chassis, getting a component list, buying the transformers and getting PCBs. Then prep chassis, solder boards, mount parts, get OCD about wiring and such. Helps if you know someone who's done it I had Tony who could answer my questions, so that was good.

It's not terrible, it just takes time and going slowly.

The main thing though is to not try and save money on the transformers, they have to be right.

Also, if you're in/near the US, then C3Amps - ONetics Transformers & Soldano Chassis - O Netics is a good place to source a kit to build one.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well, took buying a chassis, getting a component list, buying the transformers and getting PCBs. Then prep chassis, solder boards, mount parts, get OCD about wiring and such. Helps if you know someone who's done it I had Tony who could answer my questions, so that was good.

It's not terrible, it just takes time and going slowly.

The main thing though is to not try and save money on the transformers, they have to be right.

Also, if you're in/near the US, then C3Amps - ONetics Transformers & Soldano Chassis - O Netics is a good place to source a kit to build one.
"it just takes time and going slowly." I'm out. :lol: That's probably far more project than I'm up for at this stage. My soldering skills are currently somewhere between "#*$^#!" and "Well, at least it's connected". :lol:

·
2,827 Posts
"it just takes time and going slowly." I'm out. :lol: That's probably far more project than I'm up for at this stage. My soldering skills are currently somewhere between "#*$^#!" and "Well, at least it's connected". :lol:
c3amps sometimes have builds in stock so you can just buy one all nicely done up and completed. is worth sending them a message ;)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
c3amps sometimes have builds in stock so you can just buy one all nicely done up and completed. is worth sending them a message ;)
Yup Rob @ C3 is great hes hooked up a few people i've sent his way. If you ask he will do a complete build with mods depending what they are.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts