Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This could be of great assistance to people such as myself you refuse to learn how to solder. :lol:

Seriously it nice to see pickup swapping made easier.

Reactions: Helter Skelter

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
But you don't get the *tone* of a gloppily soldered lead improperly grounded to a pot!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Your Carvin was pretty much solderless because of the wirenuts Carvin used to wire it initially :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
This both excites and concerns me. I'm glad to see that companies are pushing logically easier installs, but i irk out a meager living to support my goal of being a musican as a guitar tech, and if solderless pickups catch on that'll be just one more jab at small time shop guitar techs.

granted the picky purists (no insult intended) will obviously shun this Idea, but the average guitarist will see this as a blessing. heck I even think it;s a cool idea honestly.

·
18,790 Posts
This both excites and concerns me. I'm glad to see that companies are pushing logically easier installs, but i irk out a meager living to support my goal of being a musican as a guitar tech, and if solderless pickups catch on that'll be just one more jab at small time shop guitar techs.

granted the picky purists (no insult intended) will obviously shun this Idea, but the average guitarist will see this as a blessing. heck I even think it;s a cool idea honestly.
While I can see your point, there's nothing I hate more than stunting progress simply to save jobs. It's a common problem these days (just look at the music/entertainment industry fighting against the death of physical media) and I'm very concerned about its long-term effects.

That said, this is a minor issue in the grand scheme of things, and as you said, I'm sure there'll be plenty of people who either a) prefer the old way, or b) don't see the point in trying something new, resulting in this never really taking off.

Hell, look at EMG's clip system. It's great, it works really well, and yet it took until very recently for any other companies to do anything with it.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Hmm... I've got an extra strat laying around... :idea:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I think I'd like to get some of those screw down terminal thingies for my grounding, because of the shitty pot soldering that's been mentioned :lol: What would you call those things if I wanted to pick some up at Radio Shack?

Also, do you need to ground the backs of the pots for anything if you run everything to a common ground?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
thats what shields the internals of the pots jj ;). but, its much easier, since its if you have the whole cavity shielded (with the shielding exposed, not painted over with non conductive paint etc), the pots have a locking tab which also serves as a ground.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Great products, but the issue I have with it is customization. You are going to have to solder if you decide you want a killswitch, or 3-way vs 5-way, coilsplit, etc.

Also, jammin all those busses would never happen in some guitars, i.e. Ibanez Sabers.

Great idea, but I learned how to solder when I was in middle school, and I have used it many times for many things. It is a great skill to learn.

·
Registered
48 Posts
only thing is, is this works for only the active crowd ATM, passives won't be picking up on this any time soon, but would be awesome if they did, makes getting new pickups and doing quick swaps awesome

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
I just removed all the wiring from my 7420 so it can get Crunchlab/Liquifire combo and some new paint. I can solder but plug and play would make my life a lot easier.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
only thing is, is this works for only the active crowd ATM, passives won't be picking up on this any time soon, but would be awesome if they did, makes getting new pickups and doing quick swaps awesome
I think this is because the voltage difference between active and passive pickups. Pin connections are usually not as complete as solder connections are, causing higher resistances. In an active pickup 9V (or so) circuit, this is much less detrimental than in a passive pickup circuit, which is basically just sense voltage. I think for tonal reasons, I would definitely opt to solder passives.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
thats what shields the internals of the pots jj ;). but, its much easier, since its if you have the whole cavity shielded (with the shielding exposed, not painted over with non conductive paint etc), the pots have a locking tab which also serves as a ground.
So I guess it's a good thing I don't wire them in? :lol:

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
never hurts to have more grounding. I actually need to toss some shielding tape in the cavity of my ESP, it makes more noise than my other 2 axes when plugged into either my rack or the recto.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts