Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the major letdown that was Episode VIII, I should not be that excited. But I am. Because Rogue One was badss, and this looks rad.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Given the major letdown that was Episode VIII, I should not be that excited. But I am. Because Rogue One was badss, and this looks rad.

I really liked VIII. I'm not sold on this one yet.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
I'm incredibly skeptical that this movie will be any good because there's no reason for it to exist other than cashing in, plus all the difficulties they've had with its production. I'll be very surprised if it's anything other than a two hour long sequence of "THIS is when he meets Lando, and THIS is how he gets the Falcon, and THIS is why he has those stripes on his pants," etc.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong though!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I really liked VIII. I'm not sold on this one yet.
Ditto. I'll go watch it, it could be a lot of fun, but while the trailer looks cool and all, Solo doesn't come across NEARLY cocky enough. :lol:

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
That's another thing. I have a sneaking suspicion that Han Solo doesn't work nearly as well as a character without Luke, Leia, Ben and C3PO to play off of. "Scoundrel who turns out to be a decent guy" is not exactly a groundbreaking archetype. :lol:

The trailer made me think of the beginning of the JJ Abrams Star Trek reboot - Kirk getting into bar fights and mouthing off and being generally kind of a mess until someone gives him a chance and he ends up in charge of a ship. How is young Han Solo going to be different?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
That's another thing. I have a sneaking suspicion that Han Solo doesn't work nearly as well as a character without Luke, Leia, Ben and C3PO to play off of. "Scoundrel who turns out to be a decent guy" is not exactly a groundbreaking archetype. :lol:

The trailer made me think of the beginning of the JJ Abrams Star Trek reboot - Kirk getting into bar fights and mouthing off and being generally kind of a mess until someone gives him a chance and he ends up in charge of a ship. How is young Han Solo going to be different?
That's an excellent point. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

Considering that he is a scoundrel when we first meet him in A New Hope, I don't see how they can have him redeem himself by the end of Solo.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Considering that he is a scoundrel when we first meet him in A New Hope, I don't see how they can have him redeem himself by the end of Solo.
My good sir, whatever are you talking about? Han never shoots first. Clearly he learns virtue, patience and honor in this movie.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
If darth vader doesn't massacre a shit ton of rebels or emilia clarke gets naked i dont see a good reason to see this.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
After the first new one I didn't go watch the rogue or 8 one so meh. Rogue was ok when I did see it but still haven't watched the other new one (8).

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
This literally looks like a bunch of people cosplaying. No one actually looks or sounds like who they're portraying.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
There was this one story in the EU (which is now non canon of course) which was just him and Boba Fett having one final show down as elderly gentleman and in the end they end up in some sort of Mexcian stand off and they both mutually decide "I'm too old for this shit" and just acknowledge each other's differences and walk off.

It's one of the most satisfying stories in the EU truthfully. :lol: My favorite Han Solo story from the old EU.

Of course Boba Fett in the old EU is less of a villain and more of an antihero (obviously they are going to go that direction in the new EU too, especially if there is a solo Boba Fett movie) and Han Solo, depending on the source, is also an antihero, which is what made it compelling. I think Boba Fett pulls a "You aren't that much better than me to pull a holier than thou" routine in it.

There's a big difference between Han Solo = Hero and Han Solo = Antihero, so I'm wondering which way this will pan out.

It's easy to forget if you don't speak fluent Star Wars nerd (also "spice" is so generic of a term for space drugs, every franchise uses it) but Han Solo was a drug smuggler, he's not really supposed to be a straight up hero.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
But yeah, I would love to see a Han Solo vs Boba Fett movie. Antihero vs Antihero sort of thing.

Especially if it's set when they are both older. And Kurt Russell plays old Han Solo. Harrison Ford can fuck off, he lives in Jackson Wyoming and he's sort of an asshole.

Kurt Russell in the latest Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty much a Han Solo expy anyways. He could definitely pull it off.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
In case no one guessed though, not as much as riding on if they fuck up the Han Solo movie as if they fuck up the Boba Fett movie.

If they fuck up the Boba Fett movie there will be blood.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
This literally looks like a bunch of people cosplaying. No one actually looks or sounds like who they're portraying.
The guy playing Lando is legit, but yeah I agree with you on the Han casting. No idea why this movie was made. I'm hoping it's passable, but we could've had a start on a KOTOR trilogy by now or a Kenobi movie.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
I have a bad feeling about this. All the issues behind the scenes doesn't bode well for this movie. Hell at one point Lucasfilm sent their lead actor an acting coach during production out of concern.

It's rare for any movie with a ton of production woes turning out to be good in the finished product, with a few rare occasions like, well, A New Hope coincidentally. I've been predicting that this movie won't be good, but I would like to be proven wrong.

I get all the extra side stories being turned into movies. Disney didn't just buy the Star Wars property for nothing after all, so the annual Star Wars Christmas event was expected. And choosing one of the more interesting characters as a focus made sense. The Bobba Fett movie, a character that really isn't all that interesting to begin with (EU not withstanding), not so much.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hadn't heard of any of those issues (directors fired; acting coach!!) prior to reading it in this thread. This is not good. And suddenly my expectations are much lower :lol:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts