Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have some tips on cool scales in Open C? I've wrote a badass song in the tuning, but i've never wrote in open C before so I don't really know where to begin with soloing. I've noodled around with the track and haven't really came up with anything that I really like.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Step one: move hand from 12th fret to 8th fret
Step two: solo

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Step one: move hand from 12th fret to 8th fret
Step two: solo
I tried doing like I normally do, but with this tuning it just doesn't work. I thought i'd come up with some cool solos with it because its so different, but I guess I need to get a better grasp of the tuning since i've never used it before. (this is not Drop C, but Open C which is CGCGCE).

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Oh, you mean you're gonna SOLO in the tuning itself? Good luck! :lol:

Do you ever intend on playing it live? If not, just solo on a standard tuned guitar. Otherwise, look into a doubleneck. If neither of those is the right answer, go build some slide chops. After all, open C is one step down from open D, a very common slide tuning. It's easy to find open D slide scale forms.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, you mean you're gonna SOLO in the tuning itself? Good luck! :lol:

Do you ever intend on playing it live? If not, just solo on a standard tuned guitar. Otherwise, look into a doubleneck. If neither of those is the right answer, go build some slide chops. After all, open C is one step down from open D, a very common slide tuning. It's easy to find open D slide scale forms.
The problem is it is one of the best songs i've ever written and whatever I write for the solo I HAVE to be able to play live. I originally thought about soloing in a normal tuning :lol: but then I realized that its best if I write the solo in open C because I will have to play it in Open C live. :lol: The song itself is getting some slide guitar over just about the whole track, so I don't think a slide solo will fit. It needs a "big" epic solo at the end basically. I found a scale finder that has Open C on it and i'll look up some Open D stuff as well, I know Open D is the Nashville tuning and is quite popular.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I don't know what style you're doing, but try to find some speed patterns that sound good and experiment with finding intervals that are wider than usual. You're going to have to basically write the whole thing out unless you want to invest the time into learning how to shred in a whole new tuning.

·
18,790 Posts
I've got one song that's tuned DADABC# (top 3 strings are each a whole step apart), and I really loved coming up with the solo for that one, but then, I'm not a theory nut. I couldn't tell you what scale I'm playing unless I sat down and wrote out what notes I was playing :lol: I know my theory, but not in terms of fretting patterns or anything.

You could always do the David Gilmour trick: sing/hum a solo, record that, and then learn to play it :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
That's what I'd do. Of course, I'd try to learn it entirely in Std tuning (maybe on an uptuned 7 or something), so that I'd know where I was. I mean, you can absolutely write or do whatever in any tuning, and translate it to another. It might not be as easy to finger, but if you can't handle the change, then just learn the new tuning. Hell, it could open some serious musical doors for you, having to learn some new scale patterns.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Doesnt Devin Townsend play in open C? Learn some of his solo's and maybe you'll get some ideas.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's what I'd do. Of course, I'd try to learn it entirely in Std tuning (maybe on an uptuned 7 or something), so that I'd know where I was. I mean, you can absolutely write or do whatever in any tuning, and translate it to another. It might not be as easy to finger, but if you can't handle the change, then just learn the new tuning. Hell, it could open some serious musical doors for you, having to learn some new scale patterns.
I'm pretty much going to learn new scale patterns in the new tuning.. I can play the song in Drop C, however the song has a whole lot of open notes that only sound right in Open C, so in Drop C it sounds a bit lacking. Actually, its the new song I posted in the recording section if you want to give it a listen. The last riff is the one i'll be soloing over.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Arrrrgh...fuck, that powertab was on my old laptop unfortunately.:( Gimme a sec, and I'll do a new one.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Yep, search youtube for devin townsend vids. He's a hell of a shredder & goes into great detail about how he gets around in Open C tuning. For those in the know, he uses Open C for about 95% of his music.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
http://rapidshare.com/files/446765790/Open_C_major_scale.ptb

OK, to get you started, here's all seven positions of a C Major scale using Devin Townsend's approach of using symmetrical fingerings across all six strings.
Thanks dude! Thats enough to get me started and i've been looking at some Devy vids too, I was obsessed with SYL for a while so you'd think I would know how to use this tuning. :lol: I was thinking about a double neck, but I can't find one I like in my price range, and I feel like a complete badass wielding my Explorer during this particular song too. :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
The same as any other chord progression. Simply work out what notes you can't and can't use from the underlying progression (if you don't know them work them out). Next up, map out your fretboard so you know what frets you can and can't use. Learn said shapes, target key chord tones and most importantly use your ears.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts