Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Father of the modern bluegrass banjo style (3-finger roll). It is impossible to overstate Ear Scruggs' importance.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts

I don't know a lot about country/western music. And I don't know who Earl is. But I will post this here. Cause it rips. Everything from the synth intro to the awesome lyrics to the fact that some guy holds up a carriage by shooting two horses while dual wielding rifles. :metal:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Country/Western has as much to do with Bluegrass as Poison has to do with Arsis.

This is bluegrass:

(and what you posted isn't even good country)

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many other artists could get that level of talent to join them for a project like that... in any genre?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I don't know a lot about country/western music. And I don't know who Earl is.
It's not country/western, but bluegrass, which is a completely different animal. You can almost think of it as the heavy metal version of country.

Earl Scruggs is the innovator of the modern banjo style, in much the way Merle Travis created the fingering picking style that is the foundation of all these amazing fingerstyle guitarists today. Until him, banjo was primarily a rhythm instrument, mainly used in American jazz music. Scruggs pretty much changed all of that overnight.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
It's not country/western, but bluegrass, which is a completely different animal. You can almost think of it as the heavy metal version of country.

Earl Scruggs is the innovator of the modern banjo style, in much the way Merle Travis created the fingering picking style that is the foundation of all these amazing fingerstyle guitarists today. Until him, banjo was primarily a rhythm instrument, mainly used in American jazz music. Scruggs pretty much changed all of that overnight.

Didn't know any of that, a prime example of what could have been taught in my 3 credit History of American Music Class last year but was neglected in favor of showing videos like the Highwaymen. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Didn't know any of that, a prime example of what could have been taught in my 3 credit History of American Music Class last year but was neglected in favor of showing videos like the Highwaymen. :lol:
How in the hell can there be an American history class without mentioning bluegrass? Oh, that's right, college music programs are classical snobs. :noway:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
How in the hell can there be an American history class without mentioning bluegrass? Oh, that's right, college music programs are classical snobs. :noway:
:lol: Yep true. That and the teacher's main function was the Drum professor. :ugh: The unit on grunge was awesome though, some friends and I just heckled him from the back of the lecture hall everytime he would mention Nirvana.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The teacher was awesome (in the way that only a complete douche can be) though, he would roll in every day ten minutes after class had started sipping on one of those 40 ounce+ taco bell cups. It was also well known by the end by the end of the year that he had had intimate relations with the sophmore choir supervisor in his office after showing up to the faculty christmas party heavily intoxicated. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:lol:

BTW the reason to listen to bluegrass is because you like shred. For example:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Not Earl bur we're talking bluegrass and shred, so... what the hey:

Also, performed while wearing an Affliction t-shirt. U mad bro?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
FWIW bluegrass and "mountain music" in general has much more to do with irish folk music than it does with "country western".

And, Earl Scruggs was a badass.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts