Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the whole thing, just the 40 seconds or so that starts 7:06

I just thought it was a cool observation. It goes some way to explain why people flat-out dismiss certain gear, amps and pickups especially, because it didn't react with their specific playing nuances, but rather than adjust to it, we just go "nah, it's not for me". I do it with pickups a lot. I don't give them much of a chance at all :lol: It takes like 3 strums and a riff or two and I'm done.

It's cool when you hit on a piece of gear that makes you re-think your playing. It happened with me when I first discovered Rectifiers, and for the last few years I've sort of based my heavy tone around that feel, whilst I know plenty of others who have plugged into one and instantly thrown a "nope.gif" at it. Horses for courses, etc.

EDIT: I mean... to a degree. If you can plug into an Orange and go "yeah, this is what I'm all about!" then I don't think we're going to get on very well.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I mean, the Rockerverb and TH30 are great and very usable amps for what I do. Don't get the hate.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I mean, the Rockerverb and TH30 are great and very usable amps for what I do. Don't get the hate.
Gain structure is definitely different. I tried a couple higher watt Orange rigs when they first started coming back out on the market and didn't really get it. Wasn't till I played a Tiny and then a Micro Terror, where you crank them to saturation but they're still a tolerable volume before I really "got it". They're kinda like a vintage amp where you really need to turn them up for the magic to happen, whereas something like a 5150/Recto/SLO type circuit crunches up fairly early.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Gain structure is definitely different. I tried a couple higher watt Orange rigs when they first started coming back out on the market and didn't really get it. Wasn't till I played a Tiny and then a Micro Terror, where you crank them to saturation but they're still a tolerable volume before I really "got it". They're kinda like a vintage amp where you really need to turn them up for the magic to happen, whereas something like a 5150/Recto/SLO type circuit crunches up fairly early.
The TH30 is sort of like a weird high-gain AC30 that can get thick/saturated; I really like the one-knob midrange control, actually. I am less a fan of the Tiny Terror these days (although it was a fun tube amp to play with when you can crank it).

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
The TH30 is sort of like a weird high-gain AC30 that can get thick/saturated; I really like the one-knob midrange control, actually. I am less a fan of the Tiny Terror these days (although it was a fun tube amp to play with when you can crank it).
True. Common thread, though, they're basically 'one sound' boxes. Something like a Recto has a totally different, usable character scooped OR with the mids bumped. All the Oranges I've used kinda just is what it is.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was being facetious, mocking myself for having that attitude about an amp. I've never tried one that I gelled with, ever, but i can't say I've ever spent enough time with one to "get" it. Ty Tabor seems to coax a sick tone out of one so I can't really talk. But this is a guy who could plug a potato into the lighter socket of a Ford Capri and still get a better tone than most people.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I can only imagine how many calls you get from Sweetwater after doing a video for them. "Hi, this is Tim from Sweetwater, how is that YouTube working out for you?"

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I just thought it was a cool observation. It goes some way to explain why people flat-out dismiss certain gear, amps and pickups especially, because it didn't react with their specific playing nuances, but rather than adjust to it, we just go "nah, it's not for me".
I think that's a cool observation, but I also think it's totally fair to have preferences in the way an amp responds, and look for something that just compliments how you play well.

I feel like this about most modern marshalls - they have a very edgy, attack-focused gain voicing to them, and while I've heard plenty of other people sound great plugged into them, it's just a sound and a response that's all wrong for me and I've never really been able to get on with. It's part of why I'm so drawn to Mark-style Mesas, because the response is 180 degrees in the other direction, thick and spongy and smooth. It's funny, I though I hated all Marshalls until I DID get to plug into an older plexi, and holy shit, did I get it. Not even a JCM800 had that spongy chewy feeling to the response.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Those resurrected Supros were actually designed by a college dorm mate of mine. Awesome dude. He left the brand a while back but he did all their pedals and heads. Total circuit genius but he's the biggest 60s-70s "authentic rock and roll" throwback you will find. Like, "smoke weed and design circuits all day" kinda throwback.

Phil X is also the coolest, needless to say. Love that dude.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.