Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Honorary MG Djent Ambassador
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put all the 5150 III amps in the axe fx III against each other. Everything on in the patch is the same and the only thing that changes in the amp. Can you guys please tell me how I can make my videos better? I tried to make this one the best I could, but it seems that my tones that I got sucked. I only used the the first page of the amp block, which just has the gain, mid, treble, and bass controls to get my tones. I didnt dive deep on any of it. Just skip my talking to get to the playing. I run each amp with a riff and then doing all of them within the same riff. I just want to make some top notice videos demoing the high gain stuff that the axe fx III can do and this is the best place for advice.

EDIT: This is the new and improved 5150 comparison video. New riff, new tones, and less talking!

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I don't want to be rude or anything but did you tune your guitar before doing this?

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
whats your lowest string gauge Lucas? and whats it tuned to? I always find if i go down to a low A, i need a 64 or higher before i get enough tension (at 25.5 scale) to stop the low A going sharp when i hit it

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Hearing all that string noise, holy shit yeah you're using something reeal thing.

But on topic, the EVH 5150 and 6160 is the best of the bunch.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Can you guys please tell me how I can make my videos better? I tried to make this one the best I could, but it seems that my tones that I got sucked.
Totally just my opinion, so grain of salt and all that:

To me your tone sounds too tight--to the point where it sounds really dry, scratchy, and anemic. Agreed on the bigger strings. You could also try using just a bit more gain and a bit less gate.

Were these clips just the amp block or were you boosting them? Also, what pickups were you using?

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Hey you gotta check it out and self critique a bit, you might have caught the string going out, good news is that right hand is coming along nice. In the video you are actually plating through the string and not just dabbling like you used too, which is worlds better.....and like others asked.. is that straight amp sim no boost or low gain boosted amp? I use a EVH on the blue channel and ever without a boost it is much more gainy than any of those clips. With boost gain 4-5 and without boost 5-6ish depending on guitar.

·
Honorary MG Djent Ambassador
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was in B standard tuning for this. Im using stringdrop strings for the demo, which the top string is 62.2. I normally use a 62 or above on most string sets. My tone for the demo does sound very dry and scratchy now that I set back and look at it. It seems I got tone blind and thought my tone was good when it wasnt. I tried not to put too much gain in the patches because I didnt want the tone to come off as too muddy (but it came out bad anyway). I do have a drive in the front of the amps but I have the tone at 10 and the drive all the way down. I see now that I should have put more gain into it.

But you guys seem to be happy with my picking hand so that makes me happy.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
I think the B was a little out and your picking was fine. Try it again on the blue channel boosted with controls on 666, its a good standard starting point most people use then tweak to their own taste. My settings are below and you will see I take a touch of mid out, and the boost is set as clean boo with gain at 0 and the levet jacked. I think this is pretty common set up and is a way more common refference point for your potential audience online.

Give it a go, Im nurious to what it does since I am looking at a Axe myself.

rig pic.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
It sounds dry as fuck because its isolated. IMO you'd be better demoing this sort of thing in the context of a few riffs from a recorded song. I also thought it sounded like you were slightly behind the beat on the bigger palm muted chords but that again, might just be because its isolated.

Also cut the talking time at the start of the video at least in half.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
When recording, if you're doing a picky bit, tune the low string to peak, ie, tune to the frequency of the attack of the string, which will be flat compared to resting position

if playing long cords, tune to resting position.

It is a hateful way of recording, but does yield good results :)

·
2,827 Posts
Oh, on drive pedals, tone seems to always be a maximum of halfway for me, if not slightly below, nay higher and it makes everything too trebley

·
2,827 Posts
Oh, on drive pedals, tone seems to always be a maximum of halfway for me, if not slightly below, nay higher and it makes everything too trebley. drive 0, maybe a little (like 1/10) dirt, tone 12 o'clock.

The 5150 block letter (I have one), seems to funnily enough sound best on 6-6-6 tone settings, with 6-7 on gain on the crunch channel boosted. Depth to taste, presence, keep it low. Cranked through a mesa cabinet is devastating. I think all of these should be bias modded tbh.

Also, if you can change the output tubes, I'd recommend (if you can) changing them to 5881s as I love the 5150 with them, but eventually switched them out as I kept blowing them (bad quality sets, or maybe because it was biased ridiculously hot)

If the AxeIII allows you to change the power amp settings, see if it'll allow you to change the bias, and make it hotter (well, basically biased correctly)

I love the 5150 block letter, I put mine back together at the weekend, and then went and got an Axe II. Was pretty impressed how the axe II's version feels the same when playing it. I really really need to play around with the axefx more.

The 6505+/5150 II I had one for quite a while, and it just sounded weak and like it had been neutered. One of those amps that foes all the right things, says all the right stuff, but is the first to die in a gunfight...

Not played a 5150III in anger, had the 50w version for a while, but it wasn't inspiring to me.

/rambling post

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
When recording, if you're doing a picky bit, tune the low string to peak, ie, tune to the frequency of the attack of the string, which will be flat compared to resting position

if playing long cords, tune to resting position.

It is a hateful way of recording, but does yield good results :)
:scream:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Lucas, I love you buddy and remember that I listen to mostly bands that sing about either sluts, satan or how metal they are, so take my opinion with a large grain of salt...

You have the highest high end guitar, the highest high end processor, and you have immaculately captured and polished Youtube videos complete with all the intros, overlays, multi-angles and everything else. You know how to use all the right software, hardware, plug-ins and impulses, and you do a great job of explaining the details.

You have all that shit dude, but what you really need are a couple of guitar lessons, and a bunch of time spend woodshedding the basics. I'm not trying to be an asshole but all the money in the world can't buy skill man. You need to put in the time. :\

1 - 20 of 65 Posts