Metalguitarist.org banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Every Testament album before The Ritual. Such horrible production for such amazing thrash.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I've never once heard a Megadeth tone and been like, "shit that's good, how do I sound like that?" It's always been at best, serviceable.
His tone honestly turned me off to Marshalls for a long time. That, and every Marshall I've ever seen in person has caught fire or failed spectacularly. Youthanasia was an exception, the guitars were crushing on that album, but I think they had a lot of preamps they were blowing through at the time.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
The Rust in Peace album. Killer album, but the the muddy tone lacks that tight gut punch that Metallica always had. Expanding on that, no one has ever wanted Dave Mustaine tone.
This.

In fact I've always hated how much of a flag he flies for Marshall, and now I think of it he's probably why I had such a negative view of Marshalls for years and years. Just turns out he can't dial them in for shit, either that or he just has terrible taste (or both).

·
Registered
0 Posts
This.

In fact I've always hated how much of a flag he flies for Marshall, and now I think of it he's probably why I had such a negative view of Marshalls for years and years. Just turns out he can't dial them in for shit, either that or he just has terrible taste (or both).
Deliberately being cunty here, but you did rage in a recent thread about everyone sounding the same. Maybe Dave likes his nasal-y Marshall sound? :lol:

/needlesspedantry

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
Deliberately being cunty here, but you did rage in a recent thread about everyone sounding the same. Maybe Dave likes his nasal-y Marshall sound? :lol:

/needlesspedantry
I'll up your pedantry quotient. Wasn't Dave using a Rocktron Piranha back then?

He just has weird ideas of what constitutes good tone, I think. However, I categorize him more as "blah" tone rather than truly "bad" tone, like some of other examples posted here.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts

/needlesspedantry
I would agree, only Dave is a poor example.

Let's take Dimebag. Terrible tone? Subjective, but its divisive at best so ill go with yes. Unique tone? Absolutely 100%.

Mustaine on the other hand; terrible tone? Yes. Unique tone? No. Everybody who has a shitty Marshall tone sounds like Dave Mustaine.

He's not unique by design. He's unique through poor taste and a bad ear, which in turn makes him not unique :lol:

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you want that unique Dime tone, you can take any amp on the planet, max the gain/treble/presence and then roll off every scrap of mids and lows. Voila! :lol:

I'll take Dave's tone over Dime's ten out of ten times.

The thing is - none of these guys probably gave a shit. Mustaine definitely didn't, and neither did Metallica once upon a time. All of those awesome bay area thrash bands just destroyed the world with whatever amps they could afford. It's not until recently that everyone had to have picture perfect tone and edited-to-infinity production otherwise the album was impossible to enjoy. And by enjoy I mean "be lifeless and sterile".

He's not unique by design. He's unique through poor taste and a bad ear, which in turn makes him not unique
I can't say I'm intimiately familar with his current tone, but back in the day he was almost certainly unique because he was broke. Dave just wanted to outdo his old band, and IMO, he did. Recent 'Death albums don't do much for me but they're certainly a zillion times better than Lulo, Load, and every other shitpile Metallica has released since AJFA.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
If you want that unique Dime tone, you can take any amp on the planet, max the gain/treble/presence and then roll off every scrap of mids and lows. Voila! :lol:

I'll take Dave's tone over Dime's ten out of ten times.

The thing is - none of these guys probably gave a shit. Mustaine definitely didn't, and neither did Metallica once upon a time. All of those awesome bay area thrash bands just destroyed the world with whatever amps they could afford. It's not until recently that everyone had to have picture perfect tone and edited-to-infinity production otherwise the album was impossible to enjoy. And by enjoy I mean "be lifeless and sterile".

I can't say I'm intimiately familar with his current tone, but back in the day he was almost certainly unique because he was broke. Dave just wanted to outdo his old band, and IMO, he did. Recent 'Death albums don't do much for me but they're certainly a zillion times better than Lulo, Load, and every other shitpile Metallica has released since AJFA.
Not disagreeing with anything here, but the point was about uniqueness. Dave sounds like any 15 year old fresh metalhead trying to impress is girlfriend in a guitar store. Cant dial it in for shit, just wants it to be loud and brash.

I guess this is why I could never really get into Megadeth. Not in a big way anyway. Dont get me wrong I've proudly owned many a CD of theirs. I just feel like all the other bands from the same era sounded way more muscular, thicker, clearer, and all round heavier.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Not disagreeing with anything here, but the point was about uniqueness. Dave sounds like any 15 year old fresh metalhead trying to impress is girlfriend in a guitar store. Cant dial it in for shit, just wants it to be loud and brash.
That's every thrash player from that era though. Eg:

These albums are amazing despite nobody in the band giving a single fuck about the tone. Albums were just something bands slapped together in order to get people to their shows. It was a much cooler, or at the very least more rock & roll, time in music than today.

One of our beloved members here actually took the time to step edit and mime a fucking Petrucci solo on a Periphery song for Youtube. Could you imagine trying to explain that process to a guitarist in the 80s? "See, if you put in 40 or 50 hours, then you just splice it all together and make a 12-angle video with the right mime faces, you can get some extra strangers to acknowledge it". :lol:

I'm not trying to shit on that member who we will just anonymously call "Brocas", the best thing about music is that whatever way you enjoy it the most is the "right" way. But man, holy shit.

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
These albums are amazing despite nobody in the band giving a single fuck about the tone. Albums were just something bands slapped together in order to get people to their shows.
I don't think that was true. What happened was that people did the best with the gear, budgets, and knowledge they had. Which, in the case of '80s thrash, was "not very much" of all three. Everyone wanted to make a great sounding record, and the records were ultimately how you made money back then. It was just a lot harder. I don't believe the albums became secondary to the shows until after Napster. Every band on Earth was trying to score the big record deal. That was the entire point.

I think we take for granted that we can all share knowledge on what gear to get and how to dial it in. Not to mention that you're not limited to whatever gear happens to be available locally. And that doesn't even get into the ability to record at home. Those bands had to record in crappy studios that were still expensive, meaning they had a short time window to get sounds and performances that were marginally acceptable.

Making a record of any kind was also still kind of exceptional. It was a big deal when a band got to record, and I think the expectations were different. Now, we'll all sit around critiquing the recording quality (honestly, before we even evaluate the music). We didn't do that back then. Unless the recording was truly amateurish, I simply don't recall listening to a metal record in the '80s and thinking, "oh man, I wish that amp had been dialed in differently."

21 - 40 of 96 Posts