Metalguitarist.org banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
sounds to me like something the engineer did. you can clearly hear the crunch of the tone, and its being tightly played. a good tone is in there, it was just neutered in post.

·
I am Groot
32,447 Posts
I’m still trying to process Mattyus arguing that Dime’s tone wasn’t bad. :lol: I mean, come on man, Randall is what you posted through when you were broke. It’s a step above Crate. His tone was damn near early black metal awful. :lol:

·
Change Everything
8,911 Posts
Get out your pitchforks but Brian May/ Queen comes to mind. I always found his tone a bit icepicky, but love the songs none the less.

·
I am Groot
32,447 Posts
Get out your pitchforks but Brian May/ Queen comes to mind. I always found his tone a bit icepicky, but love the songs none the less.
He had a tone I would never go for, but I always felt that it fit Queen.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,247 Posts
A lot of that I'd wager would be down to the fact he uses an old six pence piece instead of actual picks.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Well it's a good thing I didn't even come close to doing that then. :lol:

I have no issue with Mustaine's tone. Just posers who think it should sound like Killswitch Engage. :fawk:
Who the fuck is saying that now? :lol: Several times now I've explained that I thought his tone sucked compared to everyone else's from the same era, not by modern standards. I was referring to your comment that Dave didn't sit up late at night tweaking his tone. Nobody did. You did it in the studio back then, because you weren't doing it yourself like a bedroom tweaker/youtuber. You worked with an engineer and real gear to get it how you wanted it. That's what I was getting at.

To be fair, his tone did get better as time went on, and has some wicked tight shit going on on the last couple of recent albums.

Also FWIW, Killswitch did usher in an new era of absolutely fantastic guitar tone where everyone started using 5150's and Rectos properly, so although it's not my cup of tea personally, you can do much worse than having their tones as your benchmark.

I'm still trying to process Mattyus arguing that Dime's tone wasn't bad. :lol: I mean, come on man, Randall is what you posted through when you were broke. It's a step above Crate. His tone was damn near early black metal awful. :lol:
No argument here, other than the fact that I never actually said it wasn't bad. :lol: I said it's subjective, as I know some people like it (i.e. it's not universally hated and/or objectively bad).

I personally never understood his loyalty to solid state tech, and I think he is personally (partially) responsible for so much solid state hate and snobbery. People associate him and him alone with how solid state amps sound, and it's just not the case.

Hell, even most Randall's don't sound like he made them sound when you plug into them :shrug: It was his cab/speaker (and pickup) choice that made it particularly harsh and grating (and his settings). Cowboys is the worst tone by a mile. I find it almost unlistenable these days, which is a shame since it's the bulk of his best work musically.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
About Randalls/solidstates/whatever...

Who cares!

When I recorded this bands 2nd album one guitarist was using a Marschall JCM800 (I think) and the other a Randall solidstate of some kind.

Both through the same Marschall cab.
After a little tweaking the sound of both was VERY similar.

So it's almost the same sound on left and right with a little nuance of difference to both.

So: WHO CARES! Use tube, solidstate, digital, WHATEVER!

The important thing is to ROCK OUT and HAVE FUN :flex:

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
It's just it sounds like a Punk band with better production and Killers sounds like a Metal band. It was all Steve's fault... he never thought Martin would be interested in doing it so he never look for him, and Martin was interested :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I can agree with that, but I still like that sound. It's mega nasally/thin but I like it.

But Killers is obviously better produced and would have been really interesting to hear the debut with such sound!!!
Agreed on both counts.

Also, I'll never love the production of Somewhere in Time. IMO Powerslave is the best sounding Maiden album.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I'm gonna go ahead and say Ty Tabor's early tones. Everyone seems to gush over them but I guess I must be missing something. It probably goes hand-in-hand with the general cult following that King's X has, but man those Lab Series tones are dogshit in comparison to later albums, Dogman being the most obvious. But then even after Dogman it's been pretty hit and miss. A few great tones along the way but for the most part his music and playing massively outshine the tone.

·
I am Groot
32,447 Posts
Tabor is a lot like Brian May, in that his tone works great for his band and literally nothing else.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts
Most of Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien."
For similar reasons, most of Becker's "Perpetual Burn."

Probable nonconsensus pick - "Jar of Flies" is an amazing, moody, brooding album, but man, both the electric and (piezo???) acoustic tones have to be ignored.

Probab;y a few others that will occur to me right after I hit send.

·
Registered
0 Posts
That old /7/ dude TheReal7 (Scott?) put out a really great album that was unfortunately all piezo. :/

Still enjoyable despite it, good songwriting saved the day.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts